Reynolds v Columbus query

tier

Reynolds v Columbus query

Postby tier » Sun May 17, 2009 8:07 am

I have a PURSUIT model road bike, one of the Sth Aust, 80's, Wayne Roberts built ones. I'm planning on getting it resprayed and obviously restickered, however I'm not sure which of the above it is.

Looking through here I noticed one stickered as Reynolds 531, however I spotted one on another website stickered as Columbus SL. I have one without stickers and wondered if there is any way to tell the difference between the two?

Or indeed, if anyone has any further info on them. From what I've managed to find (and I may be totally wrong?!) they were made as a model for Super Elliot during the late 80's, but only for a couple of years. Wayne and his son went on to form Ciombola (sic) for a few years and then that folded. Wayne no longer makes frames and his son races on the pro tour.
Any further info on these would be much appreciated.

brauluver

Re: Reynolds v Columbus query

Postby brauluver » Sun May 17, 2009 8:28 am

I have on too.They are awesome frames.
Mine was unstickered as well as to frame set tubes.The guy i bought it from was 90% sure it was Reynolds, as it was previously his Brother in laws.This same guy had one custom made back in the 80's,but had it totalled by a car.His was Tange2, so it seems that they were made to whatever spec the purchaser wanted.
You should feel very lucky to have one of these frames as they are a quality custom made frame that rides like a dream.
Are you in Adelaide?

tier

Postby tier » Sun May 17, 2009 8:59 am

Melbourne here.
I bought this from the son of a guy (an ex-racer) who had passed away. It looked like it was ridden home and then never touched again. Absolutely no wear on the rims or brake pads at all and a Suntour groupset. The frame is pretty scratched up but mainly from it being moved around their garage over the years, but the rest, practically brand new. I've been riding it heaps since I got it early last year.
It's definately not Tange, my old Ricardo was Tange. This is light, fast and handles... yes, like a dream. I figure it has to be one of the above.

This article also shows the quality of Roberts frame building. I'm after one of these if I can get one too.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2019

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun May 17, 2009 10:59 am

Cool.....
I was lucky in that the guy who it was built for was pretty much same height and build as me, so it's a glove like fit.
Reynolds 531 Pursuit frame 2050 grams(bare)
Fork 730 grams.
Total bare weight 2780 grams of light weight steely goodness.

You always here the Kenevans name as a sought after Aussie frame, but I think that maybe theseRoberts built frames are in the same ilk, just a little less known or popular.

did I mention that I love mine :roll:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q245 ... 0_0136.jpg

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun May 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Saying that something is light, so it can't be made from Tange steel is like saying something is made from Columbus steel can't be heavy. An example of this would be Tange Prestige and Columbus Cromor or Aelle.

tier

Postby tier » Mon May 18, 2009 6:10 am

Thanks for the obvious info. And yes, I am just assuming that an ex-racer would have had his bike built in a good quality tubing of the time. It could be something else like Tange Prestige etc, but I haven't heard of that being used much by local frame builders. And since the only other examples I've come across have been Reynolds 531 (x2) and Columbus SL (x1), that's what I've based my assumption on. I'm also only comparing it to my previous bike frames I've owned, Tange, Oria etc and it's lighter and handles far better than any of them.
Though if you know anything more of the history of these frames or can provide some further info on how to tell the difference, I'd be happy to hear it.?

EDIT: I didn't think so.

f.ciombola

Postby f.ciombola » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:54 pm

FWIW in case anyone still interested in this thread. Wayne built Pursuit frames in Tange, Reynolds and Columbus. His higher end frames (753, 653, 708) mostly had his own name on them but I had a Pursuit In SLX. He did not start Ciombola with Luke, that was a collab with Trak Cycles, the pez article link gives the background. Luke rode a Ciombola from 2000 - 2004 when in AUS at the TdU, Sun Tour, Bay Series and Nationals. He had a say in his own bikes of course but was otherwise not involved with the design input.

MarkinOz

Postby MarkinOz » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:36 am

f.ciombola wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:54 pm
FWIW in case anyone still interested in this thread. Wayne built Pursuit frames in Tange, Reynolds and Columbus. His higher end frames (753, 653, 708) mostly had his own name on them but I had a Pursuit In SLX. He did not start Ciombola with Luke, that was a collab with Trak Cycles, the pez article link gives the background. Luke rode a Ciombola from 2000 - 2004 when in AUS at the TdU, Sun Tour, Bay Series and Nationals. He had a say in his own bikes of course but was otherwise not involved with the design input.
This is interesting to hear as I currently have a thread in Retro Cycling attempting to identify what looks to be an Australian custom frame in Reynolds 531 Professional. There are minimal details on the bike to identify a frame builder but Wayne Roberts name keeps being mentioned due to some similarities of theses embellishments. The lugs and BB shell have both been confirmed as Japanese Eisho Royal. The other standout feature on the bike is a full Campagnolo 50th Groupset. Do you have any idea if Wayne was involved in custom builds??

f.ciombola

Postby f.ciombola » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:47 pm

MarkinOz wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:36 am

This is interesting to hear as I currently have a thread in Retro Cycling attempting to identify what looks to be an Australian custom frame in Reynolds 531 Professional. There are minimal details on the bike to identify a frame builder but Wayne Roberts name keeps being mentioned due to some similarities of theses embellishments. The lugs and BB shell have both been confirmed as Japanese Eisho Royal. The other standout feature on the bike is a full Campagnolo 50th Groupset. Do you have any idea if Wayne was involved in custom builds??
Sorry for the tardy reply. Yes Wayne did a lot of custom builds in his c30+ years with torch & file...and I mean a LOT.