Swift circus bike

elk

Swift circus bike

Postby elk » Mon May 25, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm taking this one with me when I run off to join the circus .

It was made in Bendigo by W Green . Any info on Mr Green welcome . The saddle may look like a Brooks but is actually a Japanese ''Palace " from the 70's and it's in beautiful nick but it needs a rear badge . If anyone has a drawer full I'd like one ha ha . When I got it the bike had a nasty SA rear 3 speed hub with a back pedal brake , I think an AB . The force on the brake arm clamp had bent the left chainstay . So I replaced it with an AW and it makes for a sweet relaxed ride . Was going to post this on the pub bike thread but it won't be going to the pub until Sunday . I've noticed in the photo that the top tube appears bent . It's straight as a rule , must be an optical illusion from the paint and cables .

brauluver

Re: Swift circus bike

Postby brauluver » Mon May 25, 2009 8:22 pm

That's very cool, but you will need this getup to ride it with any cred.
:lol: :P :lol:

elk

Postby elk » Mon May 25, 2009 8:42 pm

You're right , I need a clown get up . I've got most of the gear but can I borrow your shoes ?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon May 25, 2009 9:02 pm

elk wrote:You're right , I need a clown get up . I've got most of the gear but can I borrow your shoes ?
Mmmmmm.. those red ones might get lost with the red frame.

These would go much better.

On a serious note, that head lug is just superb as is the pinstriping.
If I had a bike as unique as that i would commute on it every day for the pure fun of it.

stevebaby

Postby stevebaby » Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Nice bike!
The pub bike looks like the seat tube is bent (it's not)...another optical illusion.
Is that all hand painted? Dying art that....
Beautiful work. :)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon May 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Is that the same "optical illusion" that seems to affect a lot of frames on fleabay.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

elk

Postby elk » Mon May 25, 2009 10:19 pm

Yeah , could be , except this one ain't for sale and I've triple checked . Straight as a laser beam .

Except for the chainstay , as mentioned before . I did buy it on ebay though .

spirito

Postby spirito » Tue May 26, 2009 1:26 am

Very cool bike !!!!

Curious as to what wheel size it has? 26" or larger?

The old S/Archer date code might help narrow down the age period of the bike if it's original.

The paint looks to be in very good condition for it's age, and the upturn of the bars suits it a lot.

Great find, thanks for posting it here.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

stevebaby

Postby stevebaby » Tue May 26, 2009 8:16 am

elk wrote:Yeah , could be , except this one ain't for sale and I've triple checked . Straight as a laser beam .

Except for the chainstay , as mentioned before . I did buy it on ebay though .
I think it's a distortion caused by the wide angle lens on the camera.
Which makes me wonder if some of the frames shown on ebay are actually straight, and a few lucky punters are getting bargains?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 26, 2009 11:32 am

Nice lugs! :)

Love the handlebar position! Mind if I copy it?

elk

Postby elk » Thu May 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Just thought I'd answer a few queries .

Yes it's hand painted . There are transfers on the head tube and seat tube that have the makers name painted over them . Apparently a builder could buy these generic transfers in the good old days . Are there any artisans out there who can still do this fine line work ?

The original rear hub was a 1956 model which , in this case , is a good indication of the build year . That hub being a braking type explains why there's no mounting hole for brakes on the fork crown and paint wear on the rear brake bridge . I've fitted a Mafac Racer to the rear now but didn't want to drill a hole in those forks . Does the lack of a hole mean I can call it a '' Circus track bike '' ?

The wheel size is 27 by 1 1/4 .

Rkelsen ,

Of course you can copy my handlebar position . As long as we don't ride to the same circus .

Cheers

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 am

Those head lugs would put a horn on a jellyfish. Very nice indeed.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC