New project Eddy Merckx Criterium, gem or not

steely

New project Eddy Merckx Criterium, gem or not

Postby steely » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi all

I've just picked up what is supposed to be a 1990 Eddy Merckx Criterium frame set.
It's got an columbus SLX sticker on it. The paint is very close to the old Panasonic team colours with pearl blue, light blue and pearl white. The chrome chain stays are in great nick and the paint is in vgc.

It looks like this Imagebut has the word CRITERIUM in a gold box on the rhs of the top tube near the head tube. It has "EMERCKX" on both sides of the seat tube. This frame is an 85 corsa extra. and mine seem to be an updated model

I've done some checking and cannot find too much info on this model. The serial numbers on the BB are 7CXY 5079A. These say it's a 1987 corsa extra, there no mention of the "criterium" model.

I've done some checking and cannot find too much info on this model.

Can anybody shed some light on this bike?

Not sure if I go the full period resto or modernised classic route yet what do you think?

thanks
Dave

ValleyForge

Re: New project Eddy Merckx Criterium, gem or not

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:50 pm

+1 for the ParkTool work stand in the background!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:11 am

I know next to nothing about Merckx cycles, but if its Columbus SLX then it is very highly regarded indeed, reckoned to be one of the finest riding steel frame bikes ever made. Heavy by todays standards, but made for a battering.

I urge you not to consider upgrading but look to a full professional restoration (well, that's what I'd consider, anyway), it looks to be too wonderful a piece of cycling history. Should you wish to part with it, let me know.

What size is the frame? What is the groupset, and does that help with dating/identifying this particular bike further?

steely

Postby steely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:45 am

Hi

It's a frame set ATM, Picked it up from ebay ( probabbly paid way to much :roll: )

57ctt S/T 55ctc TT

All the info I can find points to it being a mid to late 80's model. Previous owner bought it in 1990, raced it in 91/92.
It had campag Athena group, which was only made for a little while.

I was thinking of get a SRAM rival group and some 32 spoke dura ace/Ambrosio wheels, carbon post/stem and using it as my weekend bunch bike. But after a bit more thinking I'm starting to lean towards a campag C record group and period set up.

It's in very good condition with only a few very small chips that have been touched up and one none original sticker( rainbow strips on ST) covering a small scratch.
some more pics

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 pm

you're a lucky guy... dunno what you paid but it looks a gem, to answer the initial question. 57cm TT is too big for me, as it happens.

steely

Postby steely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:06 pm

rustychisel wrote:you're a lucky guy... dunno what you paid but it looks a gem, to answer the initial question. 57cm TT is too big for me, as it happens.
55 tt :D

toff

Postby toff » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Here's what you want to know...

"The criterium is Eddy Merckx's circuit racing bike. It's designed for american-style closed course racing. With a higher bottom bracket, shorter top tube and shorter wheel base, the criterium meets the demands of riders who prefer a "quicker" bike, without scrificing rider comfort."

More here and here, and a picture of your colour scheme here.

Eddy Merckx bikes are absolute classics. The SLX models (Criterium, Corsa Extra) can easily get to $2,000 for just the frame on fleabay. I've always wanted one, so I've been looking out for one for a while. You find is a very nice one. I would encourage you to build it up with period correct parts - it's worth it.

Last night I finally bought my first Eddy Merckx. A 10th Anniversary bike. The anniversary year was 1990 but most were sold in 1989 with 1989 C-Record. Not trying to steal your thunder, but the 10th Anni was made of TSX. Here's a pic of mine:
Image It's pretty close to the catalogue with 2 interesting changes. Mine's got a different fork crown and cable routing! I just have to wait until October when my bike's old owner brings it to Australia for the World Master's Games.

One last thing. I could not find a Criterium in the 1990 catalogue. Suspect yours is from maybe 1988 or 1989. The serial numbers aren't helpful in dating them though...

Anyway, I have a few more resources on Eddy Merckx. Happy to share and help out if I can.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 pm

55cm? hello! Now we're talking... should have read properly in the first place.

toff

Postby toff » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:55 pm

rustychisel wrote:55cm? hello! Now we're talking... should have read properly in the first place.
Square frame. Perfect geometry for crits.

steely

Postby steely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks for the reply's

there some good info.

I might just sit this aside for a while while i figure out what I really want to do.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:43 pm

If that's it in the ebay photos then... DROOL!! What a beauty.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm

you want more opinions? Go to the Serotta forum (www.serotta.com) and do a search under 'Merckx SLX'.

spirito

Postby spirito » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:05 am

steely wrote:

I was thinking of get a SRAM rival group and some 32 spoke dura ace/Ambrosio wheels, carbon post/stem and using it as my weekend bunch bike. But after a bit more thinking I'm starting to lean towards a campag C record group and period set up.

Old or new ... doesn't matter but keep it classic. Carbon seat posts or stems will achieve nothing but an eyesore for this frame. You'll save far more weight (and $'s) by carrying a 2/3rd's full water bottle.

The traditional spoked wheels sound excellent and a wise choice. You'll need deep pockets for C-Record and that means it'll get too precious to ride and enjoy

Nothing further to add other than to remember that it's got an Italian threaded BB even though it's built in Belgium. Don't let no pimply faced shop monkeys f*** that up for you.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:57 am

If it is the frame I am thinking of, you paid more tyan I could afford, but it sure is nice.

Good luck and hope it rides well !!!

steely

Postby steely » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:57 pm

probably did pay too much but it is nice

also just grabbed one of those Chinese carbon frames to use as a daily rider so I can keep this one for the "good" rides :D

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 pm

steely wrote:probably did pay too much but it is nice

also just grabbed one of those Chinese carbon frames to use as a daily rider so I can keep this one for the "good" rides :D
Ironic isn't it. The steel bike that is close to bulletproof is relegated to the secondary ride!

Ahh the price of progress.....

toff

Postby toff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:02 pm

For its condition, I think you paid a fair price Steely. Most of the frames that sell for less have scratches or worse, dings, but yours is a beaut. In 1991, I first saw an Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra in Motorola team colours, and I've wanted a Merckx ever since. I even painted a custom built frame in the same colours, so I could pretend. From memory, a frame cost more than $2,500 new back then, which was more than a Colnago Master. You also got a Campagnolo headset and bottom bracket with the frame, which would easily get you $100 if you sold them on Ebay today. BTW, if you decide to go modern, you'll need to replace the bottom bracket, which at 111mm is too long for modern cranks. Happy to talk to you about buying it. :P

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:55 pm

A mate of mine got a Merckx in a dodgy eBay deal. He bid $50 on the bike (which was ready to ride) as first bid. The seller finished the auction early with no other bids at that point (there were lots of people interested, but with 7 days left no one was bidding yet). He sold the bike to my mate for the 50 and it was used as a daily commuter.

Months later, said mate while riding on the M2 gets hits by a truck and the frame is cactus. His home insurance covered the bike so he had to get it valued for a replacement. He is now riding a $2.5k carbon bike.

Merckx = $

David

steely

Postby steely » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:31 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
steely wrote:probably did pay too much but it is nice

Ironic isn't it. The steel bike that is close to bulletproof is relegated to the secondary ride!

Ahh the price of progress.....
I'd rather throw my mega k's ultergra and bits on a crappy frame for everyday use where it doesn't really matter what happens to it than subject a nice old frame to it.

this way I can take my time and build up a really nice bike. Plus I still have the repco for the rain and trainer

BTW it's my sixth steel bike :shock: in the stable (hence the name) along with a couple of carbon and alloy ones

I'm liberally applying the N+1 rule

but don't tell the Mrs!! What she doesn't know won't hurt me. for now!!

toff

Postby toff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Only 6?

C'mon you're lagging...

1997 Colnago Tecnos = steel.
1996 Colnago Tecnos = steel.
1995 Peter Bundy track = steel.
1995 Indi 500 pub fixie = steel.
1992 Colnago Super = steel.
1991 Zullo = steel.
1990 Eddy Merckx 10th Anni = steel.
1988 Dave Tesch track = steel.
1988 Geoff Scott track = steel.
1983 Colnago Saronni track = steel.
1975 Raleigh Twenty = steel.
1967 Hercules Balmoral = steel.
1953 Dawes Clansman ladies = steel.

Oh yeah... One other racing bike made of stuff I don't really understand. I'm told its a blend of carbon, aluminium, and titanium, but it doesn't seem very safe to me... :P

steely

Postby steely » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:39 am

you win :shock:

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:52 am

toff wrote:Only 6?

C'mon you're lagging...

1996 Colnago Tecnos = steel.
1995 Peter Bundy track = steel.
1995 Indi 500 pub fixie = steel.
1992 Colnago Super = steel.
1991 Zullo = steel.
1990 Eddy Merckx 10th Anni = steel.
1988 Dave Tesch track = steel.
1988 Geoff Scott track = steel.
1983 Colnago Saronni track = steel.
1975 Raleigh Twenty = steel.
1967 Hercules Balmoral = steel.
1953 Dawes Clansman ladies = steel.

Oh yeah... One other racing bike made of stuff I don't really understand. I'm told its a blend of carbon, aluminium, and titanium, but it doesn't seem very safe to me... :P
Would love to see some photos of the Colnago Saronni...

toff

Postby toff » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Decided to document the story of my Saronni bike in a new thread. Should be a good read.

rickylawrence

Postby rickylawrence » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Anybody have any info on the Eddy Merckx Alu Mega? Cant find much detail on the web. Year, parts etc - would like to try get back to original spec. Any help appreciated.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

steely wrote:It looks like this Imagebut has the word CRITERIUM in a gold box on the rhs of the top tube near the head tube.
Aaah, the Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Criterium. That is a rare find. I think these are harder to find than MXL (Leaders).

The Criterium was like an "Extra Special" Corsa Extra, and some (like the one I have) didn't even have the "Criterium" badge (though it certainly has the trademark geometry).

Criteriums (at least on the larger sizes) were about 1.5cm shorter than the standard Corsa/Corsa Extra, with a steep seat and head tube, and occasionally needed a slightly longer stem and usually a lay back seat pole to get them to fit right. Wheelbase was usually 1-2cm shorter than a more classic geometry.

They are very twitchy, but you get used to it. Not the ideal frame for a high speed rough road descent ...

Once you managed to get them to work for you, they were an unfair advantage on a flat twisty crit course. You could carve corners and scare the bejesus out of those trying to follow your wheel.
steely wrote:Not sure if I go the full period resto or modernised classic route yet what do you think?
Either, but ride it. If it fits you, do not sell this bike. In my mind, nothing rides like a Merckx (except maybe Cinelli). But my mind is a little different to most.