Apollo Concorde

hazmat5765

Apollo Concorde

Postby hazmat5765 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:56 am

Here is my 1991 (according to shimano codes) black bitsa Apollo Concorde, that somebody once threw away, I really enjoy riding this.
Everything worked but back wheel was stuffed, it had taken a decent thump and was damaged past repairing. The bike just needed tlc, and a Aero Velocity 8 speed back wheel that is an almost perfect match for the Alesa front. Then added new Gator Skin tyres, bar tape, cable inners/outers, spacers for 7 speed cassette. I like the "Apollo" logo on the downtube, that's what caught my eye at the recycle yard... sorta art deco. Because of the damage to the back wheel I did a frame symmetry check that I saw on Sheldon Brown's website and it was fine.
Last edited by hazmat5765 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rkelsen

Re: Apollo Concorde

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:06 am

Nice bike mate!

Did you have any problems fitting a modern rear hub?

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 am

rkelsen wrote:Nice bike mate!

Did you have any problems fitting a modern rear hub?
Not really I guess.......,ordered the wheel (Aero Velocity rim/Velocity hub) with correct spacing from Trak Cycles Mt Barker,that took a couple of weeks, it came with an 8 speed freehub, they had the spacers(2) needed to fit the 7speed cassette which was still virtually unused,and as it turned out had great ratios for me - 12-23. Adjusted the High/Low limits on the RD. The spacers don't really detract from the appearance and everything is true and straight.
I should add that one fella at Trak Cycles was really enthusiastic and helpful and this made a big difference :)
Good luck with yours, Rob

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks man.

I have a 1991 Shogun Katana with similar looking componentry to what's on your Concorde. It's also a 7 speed, and I'd like to keep it that way, so it's good to know that it's still easy enough to get 126mm hubs. I don't particularly want to bend the frame to accept a wider hub.

Are they Shimano Exage brakes? Mine has those. I was going to upgrade them, but they are surprisingly good!

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:18 pm

rkelsen wrote:Thanks man.

I have a 1991 Shogun Katana with similar looking componentry to what's on your Concorde. It's also a 7 speed, and I'd like to keep it that way, so it's good to know that it's still easy enough to get 126mm hubs. I don't particularly want to bend the frame to accept a wider hub.

Are they Shimano Exage brakes? Mine has those. I was going to upgrade them, but they are surprisingly good!
Yes they're Exage "action". I've got them doing the job on my other bike and they clean up well too.
Exage 400 with Biopace chain rings. It was amazing how much RD action improved by replacing shifter cable and then replacing it's small section of cable outer with a slightly longer piece that formed a bigger smoother curve up to the RD.
Cheers, Rob.

penseleit

Postby penseleit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:57 pm

G'day

I bought an old Apollo Concorde from the tip recently for $30

Pink and White
Shimano Exage Sport groupset including hubs
Tange 900 Frame

Just needed a new handlebar cos the original one had been in a crash and was bent.

It rides nicely.

Pics below:

As it was straight from tip:

Last edited by penseleit on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:07 am

Saved a lovely looking machine there hazmat! :) Really looks the goods.

LG

Postby LG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:47 am

The concords are pretty nice mid range bikes. I got mine from the tip shop as well. Pretty sure it's early 90's with full 500EX group. It had a dented and slightly bent seat stay which I straightened, and was missing the non-drive side crank, while the extractor thread on the drive side was stuffed and the spindle bolt was missing. Looked like something may have fallen on it in a shed and they decided it was unservicable, tried to remove the cranks, mucked up the thread so though oh well, off to the tip.
LG = Low Gear

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:24 pm

wheels46 wrote:Really looks the goods.
Thanx, I've still got it and it is still smooth to ride.
Rob.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 pm

i picked up one of these a while ago, but with Apollo in red, BEST ride of any road bike i've tried yet, so sad it's too small for me :-(
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

munga

Postby munga » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 pm

hey i have one of these too! 56cm i think

penseleit

Postby penseleit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Just thought I'd post some pics of my pink and white Apollo Concorde after I cleaned it up a bit.

Added a new seat, second hand aluminium handlebar and bar tape.

Cleaned and polished the frame and parts, but it's been ridden a few times since so a bit of grunge is visible.

Brake Hoods were very sticky so I covered them in electrical tape until I can find some replacements.

(And yes I put the bar tape on the wrong way - will fix that when I get annoyed with it)

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:53 pm

penseleit wrote:Just thought I'd post some pics of my pink and white Apollo Concorde after I cleaned it up a bit.
It looks real good penseleit!
I do volunteer work for a local bicycle recycling shed and the fella that runs it is well known round here and used to sell and race bicycles in his earlier days. He says that in its day the Apollo Concorde was a good smooth bike for touring speeds and used to sell reasonably well.
Good onya for saving it from the scrapheap.
Rob.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Updated pics of my '91 Apollo Concorde that was in the OP.
Lots of other nice Apollos here-> http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=37956
ImageImage
Still a smooth ride.
Rob.

BillyM

Postby BillyM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi all hoping this thread is still active!

I picked up one of these great concords from a mate for free and slowly cleaning it up - I’m only 19... new to bike restoration so after some advice -

The front hub on mine needs some work but the rims themselves are true and in good Nic. Is it worth re-lacing them myself (and cleaning up the hub) or should I just invest in a new wheel set and save the hassle? Can anyone advise what wheel sets I should be shopping for/where to start?

uart

Postby uart » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:07 pm

BillyM wrote: The front hub on mine needs some work but the rims themselves are true and in good Nic. Is it worth re-lacing them myself (and cleaning up the hub) or should I just invest in a new wheel set and save the hassle?
What are the condition of the spokes like Billy? It's a shame that even moderately high end bikes of this era rarely came with stainless steel spokes, so rusted out spokes is often a problem.

I picked up one of these about a year ago and the spokes were a bit rusty. I was only interested in a basic clean up and mechanical overhaul, so I just cleaned up the existing spokes with rust converter and a bit of zinc paint. It was a bit of a half arsed job, but I did make the wheels serviceable.

You also should make sure that the spoke nipples are not all seized up. If you can lube them up and get them all moving then I'd consider the wheels serviceable. Sometimes however by the time you do all of the above, you realize that it would probably have been less work to have just cut them all out and rebuild the wheel.

BillyM

Postby BillyM » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks uart

The spokes are slightly rusty but fine (I had the local bike shop check them for me)- however I'd really love to clean the wheels up, I think it will really lift the appearance of the bike.

I am willing to spend a few hundred bucks on a nice looking wheel set, but not much more - or look at re-lacing them myself.

In terms of buying a new wheel set though I'm not even sure what to look for - 700c wheels for 7 speed casette, is that hard to come by?

uart

Postby uart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:59 pm

BillyM wrote:Thanks uart

The spokes are slightly rusty but fine (I had the local bike shop check them for me)- however I'd really love to clean the wheels up, I think it will really lift the appearance of the bike.

I am willing to spend a few hundred bucks on a nice looking wheel set, but not much more - or look at re-lacing them myself.
Do yours like something like these ones Billy. These are the ones from my Concorde. Like I said, just roughly cleaned up and made serviceable, but still fairly crusty. These are currently trued up ok and the bearings greased etc, but they're not in use as I have better wheels. I'll probably use them some time on one of my old beaters.

I didn't put in a lot of effort because these old wheels are just not that good compared to more modern ones. I'd put in the effort if you are trying to restore it to period correct. Certainly if you want to learn how to build a wheel it's worthwhile giving it a go with some decent stainless spokes.

The main reasons I wasn't overly interested in doing too much with these wheels are:

1. The plain single walled U-shaped rims are the type where the spoke heads protrude through to where the inner tube is (though of course they are then covered with a rubber liner). I still use some rims like this on old tourers and gravel grinders, with their wider rims and bigger tyres I don't find them a problem (due mainy to bigger heavier tubes and lower pressures). With narrow high pressure tyres and smaller lighter tubes however I don't really like this type of rim, they always tend to stuff up the tubes over time. The more modern double walled rims are so much better in this regard.

2. I'm not really a fan of the old screw on freewheels either, I much prefer to use cassette hubs. The old freewheels tend to be available in only limited ranges, and I just find the cassette type a lot more flexible.