2 Star kids bike?

lemmiwinks

2 Star kids bike?

Postby lemmiwinks » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:19 pm

Was trolling the tip shop this afternoon and thought I'd finally hit the big time. Spotted a frame with a star in each head tube lug and one on each fork leg, a possible Malvern Star two star? Only trouble is it's a very small ladies type frame with really, really short (like about 100mm) cranks on it. Then I found another one!

Did Malvern Star make a kids bike? Worth salvaging? Frames and forks only, both bolt on seat stays, both approximately 100mm cottered cranks, one has slightly bent forks. I didn't find a serial number, mainly because I was looking under the BB shell when I see from other threads that it's probably on the rear dropout. :roll: There's a third bike which I judge to be a more modern bike because it has a single raised (possibly plastic) star on the head tube. Can take photos if anyone is interested enough.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

hartleymartin

Re: 2 Star kids bike?

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 pm

The stars in the lug work like that were a standard thing pre-WW2, so chances are it may be nothing particularly special for it's time. However, earlier bicycles are becoming scarcer and more valuable. It may be worth retrieving it even if only to pass on to a passionate bicycle restorer. There's an old juvenile speedwell with 24" wheels somewhere (it's not moving any time soon), that i have my eye on, but I cannot accommodate it, and cannot justify purchasing it anyway because it's way too small for me!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:30 pm

hartleymartin wrote:It may be worth retrieving it even if only to pass on to a passionate bicycle restorer.
Sort of what I was thinking (provided it's worthwhile anyway). Will wait for the Malvern Star experts to pass judgement :wink:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:40 pm

Lemmi,

What was the paintwork like on it? I have one here but sadly it has been painted in red paint. I'd love to get one with original paintwork, even if faded.

I cant say they are super rare, but then it is not like you see them every day either. I just like them because they are cute.

Karen.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 am

No pictures..... no exist..... :roll: :wink:

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Karen, the green one (bent forks) has clearly been painted as there was yellow paint showing through various places. Could have been yellow originally and might be intact under the green. The white one appeared to be only white, but it wasn't great. Might clean up ok though. The maroon one appears to be complete and in pretty reasonable condition (even has a basket on the handlebars) but as I said it's more modern having only a single star in the centre of the head tube. Though it does have a small star on either side of the fork crown.

Pity they are miles too small for me, will just have to resume my search for an adult sized classic.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:44 am

kukamunga wrote:No pictures..... no exist..... :roll: :wink:
:P

Didn't have a camera with me. Not even a phone with a camera built in!

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:40 am

Which is exactly why I try to always have a camera on or near me, especially whilst cycling. There are always wonderful things to see. One time I took pictures of some native ducks which were resting by the side of the cycle-way. I also bring my camera down to my local BUG to take pictures of any old gems which turn up.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 pm

hartleymartin wrote:The stars in the lug work like that were a standard thing pre-WW2
Stars in the head lugs of M/Star bikes were seen for quite a number of years AFTER WW2 also.

A serial number is always a good thing to get as it 'may' be of assistance in identification.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.