Ricardo Appreciation Society

Axle

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby Axle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 am

Hello,

Just signed up so this is my first post.

I've been going through this subject for the past few days yet still cannot properly identify my bike. I felt I was getting closer with those catalogues that RicardoMan posted but i'm still not sold, leaning towards Varsity perhaps??

If anyone can tell just by looking at it that'd be great, otherwise any specific things I should look at?
Also is there perhaps a link of things to be wary about with these bikes?

Thanks

Axle

Postby Axle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Axle wrote:
I've been going through this subject for the past few days yet still cannot properly identify my bike. I felt I was getting closer with those catalogues that RicardoMan posted but i'm still not sold, leaning towards Varsity perhaps??

Just had a look at the bike and thought I'd add some more info.

Gear levers: Suntour
Brakes: Dia Compe
Rims: Weinman 27 x 1.1/4 "
Crank: Sugino
Serial: L6A0281
Derailers: Suntour

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Keeping the legend alive. :mrgreen:

munga

Postby munga » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:23 am

rad

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi all,

A newbie here to old bikes. I found this old Ricardo at a garage sale on the weekend and took a punt that it might be one of the better models they made. It has frame no. L8E3253. So looking through this thread can I assume it was made in May 1988?

More importantly could someone help me out with the model name?

It has shimano SL brake calipers, Weinman brake levers, Shimano 105 shifters and Sakae SX cranks. There are Tange tube stickers on the frame.

The bottom bracket bearing is worn and it needs some work, but it doesn't look like a rubbish bike. Any thoughts?

I hope this photo link works!!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8 ... 2426"></a>

Thanks,

Scott

munga

Postby munga » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/840special ... 8463686587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

right click, "copy image url".
wrap url with [ img ] your url goes here [ /img ] tags

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm

8/40Special wrote:More importantly could someone help me out with the model name?
My money would be on a Viva. Is there no indication of a model along either side of the top tube? I have seen a few with the model name all but scratched off - probably due to the quality of the stickers used and the way the previous owners have left theirs lent against things.
Yours looks to be the tallest in the Ricardo sizing... ~62cm. I hope youre 190cm+ tall :D
8/40Special wrote:It has shimano SL brake calipers, Weinman brake levers, Shimano 105 shifters and Sakae SX cranks. There are Tange tube stickers on the frame.
What number Tange? The most commonly seen with these colours is the Nuovo from ~1988. These were Double Butted Tange No. 2
If this is a Viva, I'd say it's Tange 900. Whilst not fantastic, it's not gas pipe. Similar ilk at least to basic DB 4130.

I have a Plain Guage, Tange No. 5 Unbranded, but Leisure Products numbered frame. Older than this example though. Has no downtube shift bosses and above BB cable routing.
....but it doesn't look like a rubbish bike. Any thoughts?
Agree. Not a bad little first project bike. Good solid Aussie mass produced Roadie. One of the last of that breed, infact.
Bit too much extra info there... you just needed:

Code: Select all

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8463686587_62c6265805.jpg[/img]
Click "quote" on Munga's reply and copy & paste into Notepad or similar... you'll see the bit I just did here in green. Don't be afrain to hit "preview" when you're posting. It means you can check things before you submit properly.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 pm

I say it's a Viva.

Ricardo1985

Postby Ricardo1985 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:05 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:^^ She's looking very nice, those old Roadmasters are quite heavy but have a nice comfortable ride quality and I really like the paint jobs. I hope you plan to keep it original and as immaculate as you can. :)
Definitely keeping it in original condition! Without question! :)

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
8/40Special wrote:More importantly could someone help me out with the model name?
My money would be on a Viva. Is there no indication of a model along either side of the top tube? I have seen a few with the model name all but scratched off - probably due to the quality of the stickers used and the way the previous owners have left theirs lent against things.
Yours looks to be the tallest in the Ricardo sizing... ~62cm. I hope youre 190cm+ tall :D

Kym,

Yes, it is 62cm and to be honest it is on the tall side for myself, but I think I will have a go at cleaning it up and replacing the bottom bracket bearing first before I go further with it. There are no signs of any stickers along the top tube and the Tange stickers on the forks don't indicate what grade tubing it is made from. So I will go with it being a Viva model.

Munga,

Thanks for sorting the photo out.

Scott

Axle

Postby Axle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Coat of paint, new cables and tyres.

Great fun to ride and I've come to the conclusion it is a Varsity after further research.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 am

That's quick schmick!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

meg.han.solo

Postby meg.han.solo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi everyone!

This is also my first post.

I recently bought a lovely green Ricardo off eBay, it's a fold up so it's little. 22" (I'll post photos and the stamp mark soon)
It's a bit rusty and needs a little love and attention but it's wonderful.

Problem is 'normal' bike pumps don't fit onto it's tire valve so I can't ride it because the tires are still flat. :(

It's sitting there, all pretty and green waiting for me to ride it and I can't because I have no idea which bike pump to buy!
Can anyone help please?

Axle

Postby Axle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 am

meg.han.solo wrote: Problem is 'normal' bike pumps don't fit onto it's tire valve so I can't ride it because the tires are still flat. :(

It's sitting there, all pretty and green waiting for me to ride it and I can't because I have no idea which bike pump to buy!
Can anyone help please?
Hi,

Check out this link.
It sounds like you have a Presta valve if you're valves aren't "normal".
You can generally buy pumps with fittings for either valve or you could purchase an adapter and switch the Presta into a Schrader valve.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html

Congrats on the Green Ricardo, nice to keep the history of South Australia Cycling alive for a while longer

Cheers

meg.han.solo

Postby meg.han.solo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 am

It sounds like you have a Presta valve if you're valves aren't "normal".
You can generally buy pumps with fittings for either valve or you could purchase an adapter and switch the Presta into a Schrader valve.
Hi Axle,

The valve looks like a Schrader valve though, but a smaller version of it.
The type that fits straight onto the bike pump - not the hose, if you get what I mean.

Looking at the other pages on that site it might even be a Woods valve. Does anyone know if that could be right?
It has what looks like a valve core on it... I'll go take some pictures tonight and post them here, to give everyone a better idea.

Glad to be part of this community, I can't wait to take my bike out!
It's got the original paint and everything, little bit rusty but I don't really mind that.

It's also got Sturmey Archer gears - 3 supposedly but I'm not so sure, it looks like 1 to me!
Anyway, I'll post some pictures late tonight/tomorrow so everyone can see and hopefully help me out, might be a bit of a resto project for me!

Cheers, Meg

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am

Axle wrote: Great fun to ride and I've come to the conclusion it is a Varsity after further research.
Looks like a Varsity I had briefly. Does it weigh 15 kilos?

Evsie72

Postby Evsie72 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:47 pm

My first bike was a Ricardo "LeTour" bought in 1987. Metallic gold/yellow and with a triple chainring an rear rack for panniers. What a great bike that was. Thanks for the great forum replies. It has brought back very fond memories indeed.

evsie

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Acquired this last weekend. Apart from stripping all reflectors off it, I haven't yet even cleaned it. (Slow-healing gashed index finger... alu printing plate corners are sharp :roll: )

Sample pic + gallery link for the rest, below. Will become my work commute ride.

Gallery pics
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 pm

If anyone is interested I have a Ricardo fully restored frame and forks for sale. Pm with email and I can send thru pictures.

Bike also has DURA ACE brakes, levers (brand new). Durace hubs laced rims as well... Will be splitting for sale as the DURACE brakes are the wrong size to suit
frame etc....

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 pm

marketplace.... :roll:

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm

frailer5 wrote:Acquired this last weekend. Apart from stripping all reflectors off it, I haven't yet even cleaned it. (Slow-healing gashed index finger... alu printing plate corners are sharp :roll: )

Sample pic + gallery link for the rest, below. Will become my work commute ride.
Slick looking Ricky :)

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Dan wrote:
Doesn't look to have done many kms., by the look of the BB. Most worn part is the bottle cage. :?: Will be interesting, once cleaned up/checked, to see how it rides. I think Tange 900 was mid-to-low end, but at least double-butted. Doesn't feel too heavy. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

rebelcontender

Postby rebelcontender » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 am

Theres a nice Ricardo White Lightning on Perth ebay right now.looks like it has the 600 group and all. hopefully someone from here gets it and enjoys it. if it where in Adelaide I would surely make a bid

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:10 pm

frailer5 wrote:
Dan wrote:
Doesn't look to have done many kms., by the look of the BB. Most worn part is the bottle cage. :?: Will be interesting, once cleaned up/checked, to see how it rides. I think Tange 900 was mid-to-low end, but at least double-butted. Doesn't feel too heavy. :|

That's a sweet Elite. Not really low end more like their general sport model of the time - well equipped. Only a couple of more whizz bang versions above it (White Lightning and Pinnacle) that gave only small improvements. It'll make a great commuter.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:29 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote: It'll make a great commuter.
Certainly hoping so... :)