Ricardo Appreciation Society

big booty

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby big booty » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:01 am

Gyula wrote:Here is the bike I picked up at the local top today. I am pretty sure it is Ricardo. Can anyone tell me what model it is. Cheers.Image
Does the Cro Moly decal say Tange 2 or 900? What is the serioal number on the bottom of the BB ? What brakes are fitted ?

If it says Tange 900 Im guessing Elite or Elite SX.

Rodelus

Postby Rodelus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Here are is a link to some of the photos of my Ricardo. I still don't know what model it is.

http://www.rodelparocha.ninja/new-blog- ... en-my-legs

Reading through this forum, I have found out that its from 1983. Is there anyone who can tell me what model this is? Cheers.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Rodelus wrote:Here are is a link to some of the photos of my Ricardo. I still don't know what model it is.

Reading through this forum, I have found out that its from 1983. Is there anyone who can tell me what model this is? Cheers.
I nice first rebuild. I have no idea about the model but mate you really need to fix up that seat angle. You must spend a lot of time pushing yourself up with your arms? Maybe that's why the bars are up so high?

big booty

Postby big booty » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Rodelus wrote:Here are is a link to some of the photos of my Ricardo. I still don't know what model it is.

Looks like steel rims? Cant tell 100% from the pics. Stainless mudguards (ladies option). Rear stand. No quick release hubs. Originally Sugino crank. Is the cassette 14/28 6 speed? Im 99% sure its a Varsity.

Rodelus

Postby Rodelus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 am

Thanks 'singlespeedscott'... I will try to fix it this weekend. Also thanks 'big booty'. It is definitely heavy steel and i love it.

Dropbear

Postby Dropbear » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:48 pm

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... o22nd8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What year model is this one? It was my dads and I reckon its about 1975 but not sure . (Im not sure my previous photos worked)

big booty

Postby big booty » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Look at the bottom of the BB bracket. Should have a serial number there that will indicate the year. The seat post looks like a SR Laprade with 6 scallops cut in a downward fashion. That is circa early 80s. Unless its not the original seat post? Is that a Sugino crank? Does it have alloy rims or steel rims?

Where are all the Ricardo experts when you need them? Once again Im guessing Varsity (without mudguards)??? Anyone else care to guess?

Dropbear

Postby Dropbear » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Thanks, it has brazed on cable guides just above the bottom bracket, it is stamped on the bb "CHAMPION 19", on the chain stays it has "lightweight ten speed" hand painted. Not standard cranks or seat post. It has a Shimano 600 derailleur and alloy rims.

Last edited by Dropbear on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dropbear

Postby Dropbear » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:35 pm

A shot of the stamp on the BB. A bit different to others on here. The number 19 is upside down (I think)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:38 am

I'm not entirely convinced that the frame is a Ricardo...but stranger things have happened. That '19' may indicate the frame size.

Similar topics from back in the day
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

big booty

Postby big booty » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:12 pm

On the topic of serial numbers Ive read some of the early posts which discuss serial numbers. Do we have a complete picture or at least some consensus on the logic used for assigning serial numbers for Ricardo?

I have a Nouvo and the serial number is L6Y1872. The L is for Leisure Cycles. The 6 is 1986 which makes sense as I bought the bike in mid 86. The Y designates the Nouvo model? Can someone else with a Nouvo confirm they have a Y in the serial number. I think the 1872 is a sequential number, so whatever bike came off the production line next was given the following number in the series for that year. So mine was the 1872 bike made for 1986. That number would have gone to 0001 for the first bike make in 1987. I think??

Can anyone add to this.

big booty

Postby big booty » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Put the Nouvo on a diet but wanted to maintain the original look of the bike. New tyres, tubes, pedals, lightweight chain, saddle, bottle holder, rear reflector and an assortment of lightweight screws etc. and she weighs in at 9.9kg. I can not believe how much tyre technology has come along since 1986 as I changed my IRC Triathalon tyres for some Continental 4000S II. Ride is silky smooth, even at 120psi, and Ive picked up 2 km/h average speed over the same route.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Nice...

Under 10kgs is a score. I don't believe I can get the old Pinnacle below 11 kgs without serious surgery!

big booty

Postby big booty » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Now here is a question for all the Tange tubing experts. The Nuovo uses Tange 2 tube set. The top, down and seat tubes are supposedly double butted 0.9-0.6-0.9mm. However when I flick the tubes with my finger the top and down tubes sound the same. A dull ring. The seat tube however rings like a high pitched bell. Very different. The Tange 1 tube set has the same seat tube as the Tange 2 but the top and down tubes are thinner. The Tange Pro tube set however has 0.6-0.3-0.6mm tubing for the seat tube. So did I end up with a Tange Pro seat tube somehow fitted to my bike? The weight of this tube going by the catalogue is 120g lighter. Does anyone else out there have a Ricardo Nuovo or Exceed or White Lightning as I think they all used Tange 2 tube sets. Can you flick the tubing and see if it has the same ring.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:05 pm

big booty wrote:Now here is a question for all the Tange tubing experts. The Nuovo uses Tange 2 tube set. The top, down and seat tubes are supposedly double butted 0.9-0.6-0.9mm. However when I flick the tubes with my finger the top and down tubes sound the same. A dull ring. The seat tube however rings like a high pitched bell. Very different. The Tange 1 tube set has the same seat tube as the Tange 2 but the top and down tubes are thinner. The Tange Pro tube set however has 0.6-0.3-0.6mm tubing for the seat tube. So did I end up with a Tange Pro seat tube somehow fitted to my bike? The weight of this tube going by the catalogue is 120g lighter. Does anyone else out there have a Ricardo Nuovo or Exceed or White Lightning as I think they all used Tange 2 tube sets. Can you flick the tubing and see if it has the same ring.
My Nuovo's have definitely used Tange 2. The tube flick test shows they are a heavier gauge than the Tange 1 used in my Geoff Scott.

They are not as comfortable or fast either. The slightly thinner top tube really makes a difference in the way the bike transfers the power to the ground. It just flexes in the right way.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:37 am

The Pinnacle rides again. 8)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:06 am

jbchybridrider wrote:The Pinnacle rides again. 8)
Yeah? Mine went out for a dance over the weekend too. First time in ages... :|

Nearly due for a teardown and tidy up too. BB lube, clean out freewheel, new cables, new tape and a tidy up...one day.

big booty

Postby big booty » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Nice and simple colour scheme. Timeless. Nothing says "80s" like my tri-colour Nuovo. Could have been worse. I could have had the white and mustard colour option I suppose.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
Yeah? Mine went out for a dance over the weekend too. First time in ages... :|

Nearly due for a teardown and tidy up too. BB lube, clean out freewheel, new cables, new tape and a tidy up...one day.
I don't get to ride it much because the winner freewheel sucks in the hills where I ride nearly all the time and prefer keeping it close to original so it doesn't need much maintenance, sure do appreciate when I do ride it along the coast.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:26 am

big booty wrote:
Nice and simple colour scheme. Timeless. Nothing says "80s" like my tri-colour Nuovo. Could have been worse. I could have had the white and mustard colour option I suppose.
80's colours... what's old becomes new again. :wink:

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:29 am

I wish I wish I wish... it wasn't so expensive :roll: Thought's on the Tange 900 sticker ? thought they were Tange 2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Bike ... SwT6pVrBoW

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:41 am

jbchybridrider wrote:I wish I wish I wish... it wasn't so expensive :roll: Thought's on the Tange 900 sticker ? thought they were Tange 2

The period specs brochure lists it simply as having 'full cro-mo Tange DB' rather than giving it a particular tube model. As for the price...needs the first 5 replaced with a 2.

big booty

Postby big booty » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:21 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:I wish I wish I wish... it wasn't so expensive :roll: Thought's on the Tange 900 sticker ? thought they were Tange 2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Bike ... SwT6pVrBoW
It says price is negotiable. Offer them $350 and see what happens. White Lightning should be Tange2 tube set, whether the sticker says that is another question. The frame is small 540mm one. Does that suit you?

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:52 pm

Yeah whatever I negotiate it would still be to much including shipping if he would do that. Size is just right. Normally I would ride a 55tt coz I prefer extra reach. The Pinnacle is 56x56 which I can ride but not all the time. Cant work out it being Tange 900, sure I read somewhere there Tange 2.
It kinda like your favorite childhood supercar poster you lusted after then all grown up you get to drive it and it's a piece of crap and a shattered dream.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:04 am

He does say Tange 2 but the decal looks very similar to a 900.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16836&start=50#p302774