Ricardo Appreciation Society

Bushbike2

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby Bushbike2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi this is my first post.

Yesterday I picked a nice red Ricardo Bushbike off the verge. Interestingly for an early mountain bike, it has a lugged frame, so I guess that makes it a pretty early model. It's a 26 incher. I pumped up the tyres and got a little ride in before they went flat, and in that short ride, discovered the Bushbike to be very comfortable indeed. Does anyone have more onfo on this lugged framed Bushbike? For some reason, peoplle in my suburb throw out great bikes all in good nick - Speedwells, Malvern Stars, Repcos - it's like Aussie Bike history on the verge, and this Australian made Ricardo's no exception.

Cheers,

livinouttabox

Postby livinouttabox » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm

I just joined the Ricardo club! :lol: Got myself an old Ricardo Viva which the previous owner have modified into a track bike - going to be using it for simple rides along the riverside to school and back. Would someone be so kind as to tell me what's the typical thread size for the pedals?

Also, if someone in Perth has a cheapo set of front brake + lever and pedals with cage drop me a PM.

Cheers!

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:25 am

Try MarketPlace too.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 am

Bushbike2 wrote:Hi this is my first post.

Yesterday I picked a nice red Ricardo Bushbike off the verge....

For some reason, people in my suburb throw out great bikes all in good nick - Speedwells, Malvern Stars, Repcos - it's like Aussie Bike history on the verge, and this Australian made Ricardo's no exception.

Cheers,
Which state are you in sounds like a great place on Bulk Rubbish Day!

My understanding is the aluminium frame onslaught started 1992ish

Ricardo had a couple of neat Tange CrMO MTBs in the late 80's but also some Dungas like the "easytrail" "Typhoon" and the "town and country" on the tree at present.

Some better ones were:
1989ish Ricardo Kakadu MTB - fully butted seamless Tange MTB CrMo with lugs and cast or forged dropouts, SR Sakae 'OvalTech' triple crankset , Suzue sealed hubs
Ricardo Sirocco Shimano Deore Biopace chainrings, QR Hubs, Brake behind bottom bracket
Ricardo Karoo MTB. Shimano Diore brake and gear system, QR Hubs, Brake on rear stays
The better ones make a pretty neat Tourer with panniers

Rob

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:11 pm

The Kakadu sounds like the Bushbike GS, and the Sirocco sounds like my Bushbike - Shimano Deore Biopace cranks, and rear bottom bracket U-brake. I've got 2 of them now, but one is in slightly crap condition.

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 am

Heres one of my collection :D
Picked up from the verge a while back.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 am

Not bad for a verge pickup. What's the RD? Looks pre-slant parallelogram.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 am

Sorry RD ? only new to this

munga

Postby munga » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:17 am

rear derailleur

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 am

That would get you around in Port Stephens, no worries. :)

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Well, not a lot to look at, but now rideable. New hub bearings, sealed-unit BB, new brake blocks, new pedals; other fiddlies. Basically had clagged/corroded on hubs, BB, but headset feels good; may check it later though.
Only finished late before Saturday's scheduled Retro Ride. But pics, FWIW.
Rides very nicely. Will commute, no worries.

Last edited by frailer5 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:59 pm

That turned out really nice. It's in great nick.

I really should put mine up one day.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Was ready due in no small part to your answering questions in 'real-time-chat' mode. :lol:
One thing to be done is de-grease the new chain, (I left the original lube on it, out of the packet--> bad move), and hit it with Rock'n'Roll.
... oh, have also hit those brake hoods with some more Johnson's Baby Talc. Still sticky-ish from lack of use.
Worth noting now I've ridden it; RD is a 'Light Action' (Shimano). Disrealigears' Mike Sweatman states, "...I liked it a lot". High praise from him indeed, though it is listed under 'Shimano Weirdness'. It does index-shift very nicely.
Even the in-your-face 80s stipple vignette 'RICARDO' is growing on me. :D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:14 am

frailer5 wrote:
One thing to be done is de-grease the new chain, (I left the original lube on it, out of the packet--> bad move)
The best lube for your chain is the original grease that is on it. I rarely lube my chain. Just give it a good clean with a baby wipe.

I only use lube if it's been caught out in the wet and it's starting get noisy. The lube is more of a cleaner. I apply it and then spin the cranks for a minute than get the baby wipes out and wipe it clean. Don't use WD40 or similar to clean the chain. It will strip the original grease out and make chain more prone getting noisy. Believe me I have learned the hard way.

I use to pull my chain off and soak it petrol, clean it and then put it back on the bike and apply lube. I would then wonder why the chain was noisy again in 200 km. There was nothing left in the rollers after the petrol had stripped out the grease.

Now days the chain stay's put on the bike until it's dead.
frailer5 wrote: ... oh, have also hit those brake hoods with some more Johnson's Baby Talc. Still sticky-ish from lack of use.
Best thing to clean up the hoods is a little WD40 and a clean baby wipe. It strips the grime straight off. However has the hoods are old you will always have some stickiness. I guess the manufacturers back then had yet to perfect the silicon formula for those early hoods.

Alternatively you can just buy some new Dia Compe hoods off eBay. They are pretty cheap.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:18 am

Interesting. My concern is that the original lube has picked up road grit. Trend these days, it seems, is to use the Rock'n'Roll style lubes, as they don't attract the grit. :| So you're saying to just keep the grit at bay by regular (baby) wipes? That way, internally, the original lubes still working...

Good tip on the Dia Compe hoods.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Re:
frailer5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 pm
RD is a 'Light Action' (Shimano). Disrealigears' Mike Sweatman states, "...I liked it a lot". High praise from him indeed, though it is listed under 'Shimano Weirdness'. It does index-shift very nicely."

"Shimano light action RD", was cheaper end of Shimano market per Frank Berto Upgrading Your Bike, but it mattered not because shimano had put in the hard yards of research in perfecting SIS in particular the Centurion pulley up top works a treat, teamed with SIS light action levers and wide spaced 6sp rear cluster its shifts beautifully. OEM fitment on 87/88 Repco Olympic 12....had mine since new

Rob

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 am

Interesting, Rob. And similar vintage to mine.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 am

[quote="frailer5"...Trend these days, it seems, is to use the Rock'n'Roll style lubes, as they don't attract the grit. [/quote]

:D :D :D :D :D :D Oh yes they do. But the lube composition allows one to wipe the accumulated grit off relatively easily as required. All my rides are treated with RnR Gold and believe me...they do get gritted chains. But they clean up beautifully.

You've done well on that restoration. I would recommend that you go into the headset sooner rather than later - even if it is still smooth you can get hard grease and not much lube happening on the bearings and races. That's what I found...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:51 am

Good point. Been a long time since I tackled a headset. I may take to Hornsby Cycles for that. Or, I may get brave...
Any tips on what size to pre-order in the way of bearings/races for that era/type? Or wait until I get them out.? :|
I'll consult the good book tonight, see where I'm headed.

morini

Postby morini » Thu May 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Good stuff WD40, c r c, etc. It's what I use on my chain as well. Chains need something just to reduce friction and wear on both the chain and the sprockets. Bicycle chains are not like motorbike chains which are internally lubricated and o-ring sealed. Bicycle chains have very little lubricant inside them so something has to be applied. Just keep in mind that what ever lubricant you use will attract more grit, dirt and grime and any cleaning will remove this and what ever lubrication there is. When it gets too bad it's easy to use a clamp on kerosene brush cleaner and it's just as easy to flood the chain with penetrating fluid once your finished. Brings the chain back to new again.

frailer 5 if you can undo a nut and bolt you can do a headset. (Just hope the stem isn't stuck) Dismantle it, clean it in kero, dry it, spray it with c r c, re-grease the races then reassemble it. I'd be surprised if the bearings were shot. These things were designed to be used then reconditioned, not used and replaced like modern crap.

munga

Postby munga » Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm

loosen the stem bolt, remove bars and stem, unscrew headset from the top (might have a keyed washer/spacer), slide out fork and you're done.
if you don't need the bike for immediate transport, you can clean up the bearings and take them along (still in their races) to your lbs for replacements, but i'd wager that they're still ok, given the condition of the rest of the bike.
maybe clean everything, regrease and you're good to go!

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks guys. Noted. 8)

muzzie

Postby muzzie » Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi All,
Loving this forum, had NO IDEA that Ricardo was anything special.
A mate found my Ricardo rusted out in the bush where we had some dirt jumps (the 'Grove' R.I.P.) SO much so the chain was totaly rusted to the sprocket.
SO i ground rust out of the BB and down tube(but not through) and various places one being the derailer hanger.
So the Single Speed option was a begging.
So its an Elite tange 900, the same as munga, 8 / 40Special and Happyhumber were trying to identify in a previous post.
So before i new it was special i'd decided to convert it from my pub ss to my wet weather road bike (still as single speed) so had it sand blasted and primed.
Having sprayed it now im up to the reassembly. its looking sweet.
Will post picks when its complete.
Loving the links of stickers as id already peeled mine off and scanned them to try re print them but didnt go to plan, will also post them.

Long live the steel bike!
Muzzie.

muzzie

Postby muzzie » Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi All,

So I think ive figured the posting images thing!

hope ive added something usefull to the forum.
Muzzie

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:43 am

Would like to help muzzie get some pics up. But can someone advise me on the 'Inbox full' scenario. You can't self-delete old PMs, correct? Default option is when 50 is reached, oldest get deleted. :| Could someone confirm that my Inbox is still 'mailable', even though it's at 50. Cheers.