Ricardo Appreciation Society

HappyHumber

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby HappyHumber » Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 am

Stuey wrote:Top 'guards, too. Maybe needs a spacer at the lower mount on the rear, just to make the guard follow the tyre?
I guess the difference is more aesthetic than practical, but it looks like they're 700c 'guards mounted on the 26" wheels. A spacer would balance 'em a bit better.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 am

The problem is the U-brake under the frame. I don't think there's enough space for a spacer!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon May 14, 2012 8:59 am

Excellent Bush Bike, Bushbike!!

I do note with some amusement the remarkable similarity between your orange beastie and the Learsport GWABR which Cycling Express are basically giving away...at least in terms of basic appearance rather than the quality of the parts.

Personally, I'd prefer yours...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Hmm - Cromoly frame! Unusual these days. That's a bargain, and it's actually a nice-looking bike (apart from the paint). Looks similar to my Ricardo too. Looks like it was made for a special event. Are the components good quality? No idea how many gears it has.... Might be good for just one WA sporting event, and be hard rubbish after that.

rtnicho

Ricardo Nuovo

Postby rtnicho » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi all
Here's a Ricardo Nuovo I recently acquired for not many dolleros. Paint work is reasonably good (not sure about the colour scheme though). Full 105 Groupset, and Tange 2 Frame on Arayas. I've replaced all the bearings, tyres, cables, bar tape, chain, brake pads and seat. Also replaced the shifters as the originals had the 6 speed Shimano DT shifter problem we all know and love. Found exactly the right set in the bottom of the parts box. No idea where they came from!

A pretty straight forward renovation apart from some tar-like grease covering much of the working bits. I was a bit disappointed with the condition of the (biopace) crankset. Despite the brown vinegar treatment and some serious Autosol work it still looks a bit average, much like many of these I see on the bay of E. Must be a characteristic of these cranks. One surprise was that the seat tube was 26.6 - I expected it to be a bit thicker in Tange 2.

Overall it's pretty light and rides really well. Another keeper I fear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68319996@N ... 799364474/

Cheers

Roger

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Nice Nuovo. I've had 3 of these, one shimano 600 and 2 x 105. Everyone has had a 26.6mm seat post. The same as my Tange 5 Ricardo Elite. Go figure. I have to say everyone of the Nuovo's has been in poor condition, they must be the most abused bikes I have found. Both 105 cranks were ad badly oxidized as yours.

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Cycladelia wrote:
Cruiser_11 wrote:Ok Guys so I received the decals last week from Decal Central (http://www.decalcentral.com.au P 4123 3090 (queensland)) and they look bloody amazing.
How much were they mate?
I've had no luck with those guys. I initially emailed for a quote they seemed pretty friendly, but when I sent them closeup photos of the decals I want made up, I couldn't get a response from them. I gave up. Are there any other guys I could use?

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:00 am

Just bought a '90 model Ricardo Bush Bike. I think this model was released as Ricardo were going down the pan, as they swapped out a lot of good quality components for some pretty lousy cheap ones. The handlebars and the stem really suck (rusty too), and the rear derailleur is as cheap and nasty as the early 80's model. It's a weird hybrid of old and new stuff - even the U-brake under the frame is gone.

The frame is good, little rust here and there which I can fix. I'll be changing the seat/post, and the cheapo headset will be gone along with a new handlebar - I'm using a flat bar. Not sure what to do with this bike - I have my hybrid Bush Bike, and a Giant CRX 3 which has my road riding covered. I might use this bike as a trail bike. The wheel rims are not the best though, and the bottom bracket is stuffed also.

For the moment, I might get a new set of wheels so I can add a cassette with more ratios, and get a new derailleur. Work in progress!

1oldbluericardo

Postby 1oldbluericardo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:40 am

Morning Folks.

This is my first post here so just checking things out and searching for a little info.

I have been lucky enough to come across a fully functioning Ricardo Bike. Unfortunately the decal which would state what model it is is damaged :(

Anyway, so far I have this info...

Under the BB the serial number is stamped 815991
It has Sugino IDOL Cranks
Suntour V-GT Luxe 5 speed Rear Mech
Shimano FE Front Mech

I have no clue to what material the frame or fork is but the plan is a full strip down and rebuild.

Any clue to what the model might be would be awesome, cheers.

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 am

1oldbluericardo wrote:Morning Folks.

This is my first post here so just checking things out and searching for a little info.

I have been lucky enough to come across a fully functioning Ricardo Bike. Unfortunately the decal which would state what model it is is damaged :(

Anyway, so far I have this info...

Under the BB the serial number is stamped 815991
It has Sugino IDOL Cranks
Suntour V-GT Luxe 5 speed Rear Mech
Shimano FE Front Mech

I have no clue to what material the frame or fork is but the plan is a full strip down and rebuild.

Any clue to what the model might be would be awesome, cheers.
Try pinging the frame with a fingernail. If it's a light ping sound you have a cromoly frame. Put up a photo - I'm sure someone could identify the bike.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 am

With the components listed i'll guess it's a 1980 Racemaster just after they dropped the Porsche name. Could be wrong but that's my guess.

fairpod

Postby fairpod » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 am

Hi guys,
I've been looking for a steel frame to modify to turn into a singlespeed cyclo/monster/cross bike on a shoestring budget. I thought I'd hit the jackpot last night when I found this Ricardo Bushbike abandoned on the nature strip just down the street!

Anyway, I got very excited about it but was disappointed in the light of morning to find the cross and down tubes show signs of fatigue near the head tube where this old girl has obviously been beaten around the bush a bit. I've included a photo, the paint has flaked off on the top tube and shows fatigue cracking on the down tube. There's a buckle on the top tube - look for the rust.

So, I've decided this isn't the frame for me but stumbled across this forum and wondered if any of you (in Melbourne) might be interested in her?

It's a large frame (I can measure if you like), its 1021 tubing, and probably weighs somewhere in the 75 kg range :) . From what I can gather from the catalogues posted on this forum I reckon it might be from 1986.
That's a real piece of Australian mountain bike history.

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:32 pm

I've got a Bushbike that's very similar. I found out after I bought it that it has a steel frame, so I'm not bothering with fixing it up. Whereabouts are you located? If you're located in Melbourne you can have this bike if you want it. I'm contemplating taking some parts, but there's not much that is worth adding to my 2x Bushbike GS bikes.

fairpod

Postby fairpod » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Bushbike,
Sorry its taken a while to respond, I've been overseas for the last week.
Yeah, I'm in Mebourne - Northcote.
That bike sounds interesting to me. What size frame is it? And weren't you looking for steel?

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:18 pm

Sorry mate - I didn't think you were interested. I actually put the bike out this morning on the verge. It's gone, I'm afraid.

It really wasn't that great though. I'd actually get one like this, which is very similar to my bike:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230848984188 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's ending soon, but it is a bit overpriced. Great bikes to upgrade though. I've just had fitted a NOS Shimano Biopace crankset, along with the upgrade from 18 speed to 24 speed. It just feels a really special bike to ride. Flies up hills now too. If you can get a Bush Bike GS, I'd really recommend it.

The GS model is Chromoly which is a little lighter than steel. The bike I left out was pig iron and quite a porker for it.

fairpod

Postby fairpod » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:51 pm

No worries, I've been told mine needs to go out on the verge this week too!

Thanks for the link, the price is a little high for this project, but I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Deviced

Postby Deviced » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I am new here and could use some advice. I have uncovered Ricardo Elite (~1986) and would like to get it up and working. Generally its in good shape, but needs new tires. Given the 27 X 1's on it are not very easy to come by, I would like to change the wheelsets.
What should I be looking at here?
Any help appreciated.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Have a look on ebay international. Plenty to choose from. A lot cheaper than a new set of wheels.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Here's a site for 27inch tyres, shipping to Aust. is easy from them. http://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/27in-road-tires

whatsinaname

Ricardo Racemaster

Postby whatsinaname » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Guys, picked up this baby today, not very up to speed with Ricardo's but wondering if others may have any info on this frame/bike. Pics attached. Number stamped on BB is 566049, age ? or any other info etc would be appreciated :)

Tks in advance

Al

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b58 ... 104217.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Re: Ricardo Racemaster

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 am

whatsinaname wrote:Hi Guys, picked up this baby today, not very up to speed with Ricardo's but wondering if others may have any info on this frame/bike. Pics attached. Number stamped on BB is 566049, age ? or any other info etc would be appreciated :)

Tks in advance

Al

I suspect you'll need to take it to a weighbridge to find out how heavy it is. Bolt on rear derailleur is not typically a good sign. Nice colour though! Reminds me of a Ricky i got through eBay a few months back - was close to 16kg of HiTen craziness.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 am

whatsinaname wrote:Hi Guys, picked up this baby today, not very up to speed with Ricardo's but wondering if others may have any info on this frame/bike. Pics attached. Number stamped on BB is 566049, age ? or any other info etc would be appreciated :)
I'd be gunning for early 80's. The serial number is not of the style we'd recognise for a late Ricardo though...normally it'd start with an L. Nice round towner bike though.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
I'd be gunning for early 80's. The serial number is not of the style we'd recognise for a late Ricardo though...normally it'd start with an L. Nice round towner bike though.
late 1970s or very early 80s I'd say, from when they were first forced to drop the 'Porshe' name and use 'Ricardo'. As it came from the bike shop floor by the look of it and in very good condition, maybe never sold, or been in a shed for all that time. They're cheap heavyweight - almost crap - with the cheapest and heaviest components on them. Steel cottered cranks and steel rather than alloy 27in wheels by the look, also.

Ricardo1985

Postby Ricardo1985 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi guys,

Loving that I stumbled across this thread! I have been frequenting this site and its forums for a while now, but only just registered. Thought I might share my latest vintage Ricardo Roadmaster. I actually uncovered her from the old man's garage and is a 1981 or 1982... direct from the factory floor.

I don't have any before photos, but she has come up beautifully. It has the original group set, decals and paint, I just replaced brake and gear cables, new tubes and tyres (original 27inch rims + guards), handlebar tape, plus a (fairly) thorough removal of accumulated grime and spot/surface rust. She rides a treat, and looks great - a great daily commuter for work and uni, that's for sure!

I am now on the look out for another project/ spare... the addiction has definitely taken hold!!

Enjoy!

Thom

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm

^^ She's looking very nice, those old Roadmasters are quite heavy but have a nice comfortable ride quality and I really like the paint jobs. I hope you plan to keep it original and as immaculate as you can. :)