Ricardo Appreciation Society

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby filski » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi all, came across this page when looking for info on a refurb I've just started. I still have my old windcheater from my tri days in the late 80's which has sat unused for around 10yrs or so now and is looking a bit worse for wear. I could never bring myself to bin it.

This is the previous state of it, looking a bit sorry but still in race set up

The groupy is mixed shimano 105/600 with a couple of campag bits. The wheels are Mavic MA40/105 hubs, bullhorns are mavics as well. You can see the rear stays were rebrazed at one point.

I gave it to a mate who needed a loaner, he took it to a bike shop who tried to set it up as a flat bar and found it was unrideable as a TT frame. :lol:

It was built from scratch to fit me only - the frame was bought direct from the factory and everything else transferred from my other bike and was upgraded as I could afford it.
It has history - sub hour 40km TTs and has been up against the world champ at the time. It's going to be refurbed to do one last tri and then become my beach cruiser. I have a modern merckx as my serious ride.

The plan is to swap out all the non-600 parts and build a complete groupy apart from the wheels which still run smooth and true. I'm considering the paint job but it's a refurb, not a restoration. It might go to a single colour or maybe 2. I will get custom decals with my nick rather than ricardo. That might upset a few but this bike is a part of me, it's been my buddy for longer than almost anyone.
filski

by BNA » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:14 pm

BNA

Postby yugyug » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Thats some hardcore drop. Cool bike. I have no idea how you could turn that into a beach cruiser given what I can guess about the frame size and your proportions!
yugyug

Postby filski » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Yeah, it had a pretty good aero position on that. It was very rideable around town (was my only transport for many years) - only difference is it was set up for a 20 yr olds back, not sombody past 40. :wink:

Shimano 600 cranks just arrived in the mail today. Very good condition.
filski

Postby yugyug » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:58 am

I turned my Ricardo racer into a town bike with swept back bars - that worked well because its on the upper edge of what I could ride size wise at 56cm square. But I don't think it would work on my other road bike which is a 53cm and which I ride in a similar position to yours - though not quite as extreme! :)
yugyug

Previous

Return to Retro biking