Mystery Bicycles?

markh787

Mystery Bicycles?

Postby markh787 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi all, first time poster here... i've picked up two bikes recently (3 if you count the speedwell from a while back), one of which i have no idea if it would be a crime to overcoat with a nice clearcoat and ride as a daily commuter/runabout.

its a healing from some era of sorts, with some very intricate paintwork, still intact logos and under the layer of dust i have been as-yet too scared to remove - is a near new in most places, complete with what looks like hand painted details, logos and pinstriping, beautiful purple and electric blue paintjob.

It has a non-original front rim (28") so it may have been front-ended at some point but the rear rim matches the paintwork. it has hub brakes and seems otherwise original except for the seat and retro-fitted wheel generator on the front wheel. I'm going to be cleaning (gently) and sealing it with fresh clearcoat this weekend so please post quickly if i am about to do something stupid... i just don't want to mess up such a nice original paintjob! Pics below... any thoughts? circa? painting/sealing tips?

there are some shots in there of the second mystery bike, a re-sprayed old frame with original forks, massive, clumsily stamped frame/model numbers near the seatpost and nicely ornate lugs. any thoughts on that one? circa?

http://img259.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=i ... 111605.jpg

like my bike graveyard? Let the resuscitation begin! :D

hartleymartin

Re: Mystery Bicycles?

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:26 pm

Touch that Healing's paint and I'm coming after you! All it needs is a good clean with a soft cloth and some mild soapy water. A little bit of raw linseed oil (again on a soft cloth) rubbed over the frame will help protect the paintwork and it also acts as a rust inhibitor. The brightwork (chromed stuff) just needs a light going over with bronze wool and light oil and would also benefit from a very thin residual coat of raw linseed oil. DON'T CLEARCOAT IT! Any imperfections or dust or grit will get sealed onto the frame if you do and it also detracts from the original finish. Clearcoat permanently destroys the patina, which is where the value is.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:51 am

DON'T CLEARCOAT IT! Any imperfections or dust or grit will get sealed onto the frame if you do and it also detracts from the original finish. Clearcoat permanently destroys the patina, which is where the value is.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Clearcoat preserves the paintwork. Using an oil based product on the frame prior to clearcoating is not advised.

Best to wait for the forum elders to reply. They know more about preserving paintwork and vintage bikes in general.

At the end of the day it is your bike and your choice.

Karen.

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:06 am

I'd move this to the retro section. You are more likely to get a better response.

Karen.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:11 pm

cludence wrote:I'd move this to the retro section. You are more likely to get a better response.

Karen.
+1, PM a mod to get it moved over to retro.
There is a plethora of retro grouch's over there to help you out.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Wow nice I remember going back to my child hood of finding a bike tipped on someone's property so I knocked on the door and asked if I could buy the old bike so I could do it up as it was in a sad state. The guy was only to happy to oblige my request and said I could have it no charge. Big smile on my face as I said I would return when the bike was restored to show him his old bike brought back to glory. Well 3 months had passed while I did odd jobs to pay for the things I needed to purchase outside what was around home and return I did. I think me returning and showing off the once sad bike brought a bigger smile to the old chaps face more so than it did with me when he said I could have it gleaming with all it's chrome work and new paint job. He was even impressed with the cow horn handlebars which he ask if he could go for a spin and very quickly I agreed. I think I made his day returning to his house that day then he showed me around his art studio and all his handy work I will never forget his kind generosity and warm smile.

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Cant ask for a better story than that. I am sure he smiled everytime he thought of his bike after that.

Karen.

markh787

Postby markh787 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, ill go the linseed-and-care path over the clearcoat-option, see how that goes before i consider preserving with a more radical solution.

does anyone have any ideas about the resprayed black-green bike with the dragster bars? make? model? year?

they both have those little holes in the bottom bracket, if thats for oil, does that make them pre-1950s? what about 28" wheels, does that point to an age bracket?

also how old is the healing? how do i find out? is it in decent cond. for its age?

cheers,

Mark

spirito

Postby spirito » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:40 pm

markh787 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, ill go the linseed-and-care path over the clearcoat-option, see how that goes before i consider preserving with a more radical solution.
Dunno about linseed oil. :?

Some kinda rust preventative inside the tubes is always a good idea. Clean it out and make sure it's dry before attaching parts. You can clean up the frame with warm water with a little dishwashing liquid. Paint responds well to some car polish and wax just like an old car. It'll bring back some of it's lustre and colour. Check the joints for crack and tubes for dings before building to up to ride. Generally they are pretty solid frames from that era so it should be fine.

I really dig the crimson and green combo. I'd never have thought to mix those two colours but looks kinda cool and very distinct.

Healing went out of business in the early 60's I think. I don't know that much about the marque except they made a variety of frames, the best of which were as good as any others. And Russell Mockridge rode a Healing, that counts for a lot 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.G._Healing

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

elk

Postby elk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Mark ,

This link will provide you with some clues about the other bike .

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18507&hilit=haden