Restoration Questions

One

Restoration Questions

Postby One » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi - I'm currently restoring an old Repco that was a hard rubbish job. I picked up just the frame and forks and a daggy old headset. I would be grateful if someone can help with the following:

Wheel size - i have a 700c in the forks at the moment just to see how it fits. The distance between the hole in the fork for the brake caliper and the rin is about 6cm. Can i assume that this bike takes a 700c rim or would a 27 inch suit/fit better

Seatpost and bolt. What will i use for a seat bolt. Suggestions have been made to go down to bunnings and bick up a simple bolt but i think that it s bit ugly. What to do? Apart from gettign a heap of old seat posts, how do i determine what size i need?

Any help would be appreciated.

lethoso

Re: Restoration Questions

Postby lethoso » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:33 pm

One wrote:Wheel size - i have a 700c in the forks at the moment just to see how it fits. The distance between the hole in the fork for the brake caliper and the rin is about 6cm. Can i assume that this bike takes a 700c rim or would a 27 inch suit/fit better

Seatpost and bolt. What will i use for a seat bolt. Suggestions have been made to go down to bunnings and bick up a simple bolt but i think that it s bit ugly. What to do? Apart from gettign a heap of old seat posts, how do i determine what size i need?
there's only a few mm between 27" & 700c, any longer reach brakes should cope just fine with either.

as for seatpost/bolt - head down to your lbs, a seatpost bolt should only be a few bucks, and assuming they're not dicks they will help you get a seatpost of the right size. Or you could measure it with vernier calipers or similar.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:06 pm

The four most common sizes I've come across are 25.4, 26.4 27.2 and 28.6mm. I'll wager it's probably the first one. Easiest way to find out is to stick a broom handle into there. If it's about right, then it's 25.4mm
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

munga

Postby munga » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:27 am

i have a JIS broom handle. will that work? 8)

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:54 am

munga wrote:i have a JIS broom handle. will that work? 8)
is it NJS approved? Id go 700c if the brakes you have will work on them, assuming there is to be brakes?

One

Postby One » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:46 am

yes - front brakes for sure and i haven't removed any of the cable guides so i can run rear brakes if i cant handle the fixed gear thing.

I'd like to get some nice track bars for the front. I have a dilema though between Nitto bars and Soma bars. The Nitto ones are way more expensive and the Soma ones look the same but are far cheaper. What is the benefit of going Nitto? Either bar will be covered in brown leather bar tape so it is not like they wiill be overly visable. After all this is a relatively cheap rebuild project so Soma should suit right?

spirito

Postby spirito » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:39 pm

One wrote:yes - front brakes for sure and i haven't removed any of the cable guides so i can run rear brakes if i cant handle the fixed gear thing.

I'd like to get some nice track bars for the front. I have a dilema though between Nitto bars and Soma bars. The Nitto ones are way more expensive and the Soma ones look the same but are far cheaper. What is the benefit of going Nitto? Either bar will be covered in brown leather bar tape so it is not like they wiill be overly visable. After all this is a relatively cheap rebuild project so Soma should suit right?
keep it cheap. It's on old Repco ... you won't be running it at the track. Doesn't even have to be Soma. Easiest way would be to find a donour bike with all the parts you need (wheels, bar/stem, saddle, cranks etc) and use the parts for the Repco. If anything you might be able to flip the donour frame and make a little money to cover the cost.

Set a goal and stick to it. If you start buying new parts and track specific parts it gets pricey quick and is still a polished turd. Smarter to get one up and rolling and if yo dig it spend $'s later on something with either history or a known brand make that you'll hold onto.

disclaimer: no disrespect to the Repco fans out there. I know there are some nicer ones but most of them are garden variety, gaspipe, mass produced and hardly rate in terms of desirability.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

xx68

Postby xx68 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:33 pm

^^^ , but still lovable and riden daily in all kinds of conditions ! ! :D
And if it rocks his world AND gets him/her interested in pursuing other old unusual restos , then good on 'em .

One where are you located, I have some crap in my shed that may help your ' beast ' look a little more polished ! ( its crap i don't need but would maybe help you get going . )

One

Postby One » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:41 pm

I still want nice components though so when i'm lucky enough to come across a real gem, i'll just change the frame over. I understand that it is still a repco but it will eventually be something else. Look - maybe i should jsut keep it simple. dunno. I'm just going to see what comes my way and might just built a beauty.
I'm in Adelaide xx68.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:00 pm

most ppl buy nitto coz its cool to have NJS parts. NJS is the japanese track component god.
You can kit out your entire bike with NJS approved parts if you wanted to.
won't necessarily make you any faster or more attractive to the opposite sex, but some ppl wouldn't have it any other way..

arguably, nitto bars have a strong rep because they are top quality, so if you want a very good brand, and are prepared to pay (quite) a premium for it, then there's nothing wrong with nitto track bars on your road toy.

One

Postby One » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:27 am

Hi - another question. What size headset will be required? Obviously a 1 inch threaded one but the crown race size has got me. Looking at Sheldon Browns website, i think the crown race needs to be 27mm as the inside measure od the headstem is 30mm. The other option is a 26.4mm. Anry help is appreciated.
Thanks