eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

jools

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby jools » Sun May 19, 2013 12:14 pm

nice looking paconi? in sydney, ends this evening... odd that you wouldn't use the name Paconi in the listing title and just list it as a 'steel road bike'

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sun May 19, 2013 12:42 pm

jools wrote:nice looking paconi? in sydney, ends this evening... odd that you wouldn't use the name Paconi in the listing title and just list it as a 'steel road bike'
That paconi is identical spec and colour to my trusty sebring mk2 that I paid $80 for..
Paconi made in Italy = $400 +, sebring mk2 made in Japan 1/5 the price, meeeh, go figure :roll:
When in doubt......mumble.

jools

Postby jools » Sun May 19, 2013 1:46 pm

isn't paconi made in melbourne?

munga

Postby munga » Sun May 19, 2013 3:03 pm

not sure if good, but good enough to post here just in case

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mermaid- ... 1019389294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 19, 2013 6:57 pm

munga wrote:not sure if good, but good enough to post here just in case

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mermaid- ... 1019389294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like that. Particularly because its a Ricardo. Bit of a drive though.

munga

Postby munga » Sun May 19, 2013 9:25 pm

i saw that fork crown and thought you might be interested, scott.

maybe a goldie local can grab it for you and meet you in brisvegas some time?

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Softride - but probably a parts only proposition.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111075736560 ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might be able to sell the stem and beam for more than the starting - but the beam is early and thus probably one of the lower weight limits, the stem isn't mint (they get good $$ in the US), and the cobbled together setup starting with a large frame means that you lose the adjustability of real Softrides. This bike really would be just for the taller among us.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sun May 19, 2013 9:54 pm

View item
" I have had people in the vintage bicycle industry value this bike prior to the restoration at between $800-$1000 so it is now obviously worth considerably more"

:| Obviously. Something about polishing a turd?...
Also, I wasn't aware that there was a 'vintage bicycle industry'. Garage sales? 'Vintage Emporiums' that sell overpriced dungers? Or is it us? :lol:
In which case, did somebody accidentally type an extra zero on '50-150'?

munga

Postby munga » Mon May 20, 2013 6:50 am

LugNut wrote:View item
" I have had people in the vintage bicycle industry value this bike prior to the restoration at between $800-$1000 so it is now obviously worth considerably more"

Also, I wasn't aware that there was a 'vintage bicycle industry'. Garage sales? 'Vintage Emporiums' that sell overpriced dungers? Or is it us? :lol:
so paint it red and spend a few hundred on generic parts and its worth considerably more than $1000?
i think i've found my next million!

morini

Postby morini » Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 am

Aren't we the vintage bicycle industry?

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 am

munga wrote:

so paint it red and spend a few hundred on generic parts and its worth considerably more than $1000?
....and it doesn't seem to matter that the thing that really made it a postie bike (the porteur rack on the front) is missing. That's 75% of the desirability and value gone, from my viewpoint.

It needs this on the back View item and this on the front View item before it starts to regain its character (and I note that they are from a couple of decades later - there may have been detail changes.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
munga wrote: so paint it red and spend a few hundred on generic parts and its worth considerably more than $1000?
....and it doesn't seem to matter that the thing that really made it a postie bike (the porteur rack on the front) is missing. That's 75% of the desirability and value gone, from my viewpoint.

It needs this on the back View item and this on the front View item before it starts to regain its character (and I note that they are from a couple of decades later - there may have been detail changes.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems to be identical to Hartley Martin's (minus the good bit) in the postie thread, which needs to be renamed 'Post your Postie!'. 8)
The only market I can see for Postie pushies is with the kooky bike collector dudes (hands up), and to everyday cyclists as a cheap load carrier. So you'd be right about the value without a front rack. Also, who would want a mint condition postie? Isn't the whole point that they got all rusty and beat up delivering a ton of mail? :)
Plus, the design got way better than that. This is one of the earlier versions of this model, they eventually came with 3 piece cranks, and the frame reinforcement was welded instead of riveted. If anyone is looking to sell one like that, inbox me... Although I'd hate to know what the postage would cost :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon May 20, 2013 12:39 pm

and I would have thought that by 'restoring' a bike, and replacing lots of bits you are probably reducing it's value if it already a high value item. Especially if you don't state that the new parts are NOS, and not just anything off the shelf.

Did anyone grab the blue and yellow roadie on gumtree from Charlestown? $25. By the time it got to lunch time to ring the ad was gone.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Does this mean this
& this
will be collectable in years to come
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon May 20, 2013 6:17 pm

find_bruce wrote:Does this mean this
& this
will be collectable in years to come
Eh, 20kg battery pack/hub will be a pain, hi vis fluoro doesn't do it for me, and just look at that puny little basket! :D But I do like the addition of Canti/Vee brake tabs. Sure, why not. I kinda see them as Australia's Raleigh Twenty - nicely designed, useful, undesirable to thieves, highly modifiable, sortof kooky, common, crappy bicycles. We just need a Sheldon Brown to come along and do something cool with one.

*crosses fingers for a Drop-bar internally geared hub postie bike craze*

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:53 pm

morini wrote:I wonder if this started life as a Europa?

Gosford way - and might have a few decent parts on it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271206861759 ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope someone in the Hunter/L. Macq. area got it. Would have been a bit of a drive to pick up, even from Hornsby, so didn't go too far. If so, dead curious as to what's on it, and whether the frame's gas pipe. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

munga

Postby munga » Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 pm

it's kerbside cleanup week in the suburb i'm working at this week, and a guy in a hilux drove past with some soon-to-be-recycled bikes in the back. from 20 metres, the one i focused all my efforts on was dark blue, had drop bars, and had pedals that reminded me of these
i hope to god they weren't c-record or anything campy, because it was on the top of his pile of bikes, and i was working in a cul-de-sac.
you know how you daydream of finding a saronni or a merckx? something tells me he found my daydream bike today. :shock:

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Cheap Ricardo...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carwoola ... 1020018930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When in doubt......mumble.

quislor

Postby quislor » Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Am I clueless or has this gone for way more than it should have?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lugged-steel ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm

I would say so, the frame looks alright but unknown, and fitted with a mish mash of bits ranging from alright to Microshift (not that there's anything wrong with Microshift per se but it's a bit out of place to me). I would have said $150, maybe $200 at the absolute most if you really wanted it.

Definitely wouldn't have gone for $470 if I was selling it :roll: :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 pm

quislor wrote:Am I clueless or has this gone for way more than it should have?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lugged-steel ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably would've cracked half a g' if it weren't for that derailleur cable.

Just shows what some new bar tape can do I guess. Also looks to have been sold by someone affiliated with Saint Cloud, so probably well advertised.
ldrcycles wrote:Definitely wouldn't have gone for $470 if I was selling it :roll:
Man oh man, you're not the only one. :lol: Worst is when you buy a fixer upper, plunge hours and >$150 into a general service, new sealed bb, new bar tape, new tyres, and then re advertise it 6 months later and then watch it sell for less than you originally payed :|

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 am

munga wrote:it's kerbside cleanup week in the suburb i'm working at this week, and a guy in a hilux drove past with some soon-to-be-recycled bikes in the back. from 20 metres, the one i focused all my efforts on was dark blue, had drop bars, and had pedals that reminded me of these
i hope to god they weren't c-record or anything campy, because it was on the top of his pile of bikes, and i was working in a cul-de-sac.
you know how you daydream of finding a saronni or a merckx? something tells me he found my daydream bike today. :shock:
For the sake of a good nights sleep Munga, Shimano Exage looks pretty similar.

...... And others.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue May 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Magnesium Merida with 6500
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261217651418 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Centurion
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281109718183 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look Carbon/Alu Frame
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130911206030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scapin with 6500 and Open Pros
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281110258744 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I would say so, the frame looks alright but unknown, and fitted with a mish mash of bits ranging from alright to Microshift (not that there's anything wrong with Microshift per se but it's a bit out of place to me). I would have said $150, maybe $200 at the absolute most if you really wanted it.

Definitely wouldn't have gone for $470 if I was selling it :roll: :lol: .
Have to put it down to the Fitzroy/inner city trendoid co-efficient; plus the dazzling baby blue finish, I guess. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 pm

QuangVuong wrote: Big Centurion
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281109718183 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I might express an interest in that. Bit of a drive but I'm keen. Thanks Quang. Looks like it could make a nice cyclocross bike, Exage LX bits I think. Just in time for Dirty Deeds :twisted: