eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

brauluver

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby brauluver » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:47 pm

bridgethegap71 wrote:Actually meant those ugly tractor tread volley's of the 80's, the ones that Ned Flanders would wear!

Not the cool new models! LOL :oops:
I was in a safety shop the other day, and they had both old school Volleys and KT26's(remember them?) with steel cap toes.

slammed

Postby slammed » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:21 pm

KT26, the ulimate bogan shoe, Now with added steel cap!
Now thats Rad!
2009 Scott Aspect 10
Malvern Star Skidstar GT

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm

The KT26 Steel Cap shoe is rubbish. I bought a pair for work a few months ago, and they have fallen apart. If you need steel toe shoes, then stick to Blundstones.
Andrew

blokeinamoke

Postby blokeinamoke » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Tis a brilliant time to sell on Ebay, the market really has done a good turn in the last month even! But in saying that, like any market place, it will shift soon... but it will swell later on... funny old thing ebay... especially for vintage cars (i drive a mini and a moke :) )

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 am

Lark2004 wrote:The KT26 Steel Cap shoe is rubbish. I bought a pair for work a few months ago, and they have fallen apart. If you need steel toe shoes, then stick to Blundstones.
I'm a big fan of SteelBlue boots - they are an a different league to "old style" protective footwear.
Currently being issued Mack boots - haven't picked mine up yet but so far the reports are good.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Lark2004 wrote:The KT26 Steel Cap shoe is rubbish. I bought a pair for work a few months ago, and they have fallen apart. If you need steel toe shoes, then stick to Blundstones.
I'm sporting a pair of CAT lace up shoes at the mo, Light and comfy.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 pm

I wish HyTest still did their zip sided boots, me old mowing pair fit like steel capped gloves. I'm not using the good pair at work, they look too good under jeans at the pub.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Thoglette wrote:
I'm a big fan of SteelBlue boots - they are an a different league to "old style" protective footwear.
Currently being issued Mack boots - haven't picked mine up yet but so far the reports are good.
We have been forced to lace ups at work and I have to say that Blue steels are heavy, over complex pieces of rubbish. When you work with industrial chemical wastes, like I do, the last thing you need is a pair of boots that splits to easily between the sole and upper. I have found the Blue Steels to lack durability and also to be quite a heavy and uncomfortable warm boot when working in the outdoors in summer. I have moved to Oliver lace ups and will not go back.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:12 pm

my colnago is on ebay guys (spur of the moment decision - sorry for the short notice).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0468980985

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 pm

cray- wrote:Always on the lookout for a decent Nishiki Olympic 12 in metallic red so that I can have another crack at replacing the forks on my old beastie. This one popped up on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT But I'm afraid the price is more than double what I'd be willing to pay. Mine only cost me $50 and was in better condition, all original. Ah well, hopefully it'll be passed in and relisted at a lower price. Sucks, cause it's local as well.
Contacted the seller after the above bike was passed in with 0 bids & offered him a more reasonable amount to take it off his hands. Seller claims to have sold it offline for $390. Hopefully what that really means is that I'll be seeing it up on eBay again soon. If he's telling the truth then I guess I'm sitting on a freakin' gold mine here!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 pm

cray- wrote:Contacted the seller after the above bike was passed in with 0 bids & offered him a more reasonable amount to take it off his hands. Seller claims to have sold it offline for $390.
He's full of it.

Passes in at $200 then he sells it offline for almost double that! B.S. if you ask me.

That said, you probably are sitting on a gold mine!

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:04 pm

rkelsen wrote:That said, you probably are sitting on a gold mine!
Not really, you remember my little incident last year right? Stacked my Repco, not happy jan!

The search goes on...

toff

Postby toff » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 pm

cray- wrote:
rkelsen wrote:That said, you probably are sitting on a gold mine!
Not really, you remember my little incident last year right? Stacked my Repco, not happy jan!

The search goes on...
Man I just read that thread. That's a shocker. No pics of the ruined fork steerer though...

last week I went out and bought my own high speed steel die to thread my own forks. Also machined a collar to ensure the threads are cut properly with the same thread depth on all sides.

Cost me $30, and I've already cut a nice thread into my first fork. The LBS charged me $80 for the last pair of Colnago forks I needed a thread extension on, so I reckon I'm up $50 already.

Anyway, post some pics of the steerer on the Repco forks and we'll see how badly damaged those threads are. You never know... It might be salvageable...

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:35 am

toff wrote:Anyway, post some pics of the steerer on the Repco forks and we'll see how badly damaged those threads are. You never know... It might be salvageable...
Pretty stuffed:

toff

Postby toff » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:39 pm

cray- wrote: Pretty stuffed:
Oh dear god! :!:

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

cray- wrote:
toff wrote:Anyway, post some pics of the steerer on the Repco forks and we'll see how badly damaged those threads are. You never know... It might be salvageable...
Pretty stuffed:

You can put braze some brass over the threads, turn or carefully file back to original diameter and then use a fork thread cutter to re-cut the thread. I've done this a few times to salvage otherwise perfect 531 forks.
Normally happens on small frames, the short headstock seem to give the top bearing set and lock nut a real rough time. Leverage ratio I suppose?

Cheers
Richard

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:17 pm

WyvernRH wrote: Normally happens on small frames, the short headstock seem to give the top bearing set and lock nut a real rough time. Leverage ratio I suppose?

Cheers
Richard

maybe, you might be right. I'd always thought it was because there was more chance of having a spacer or two on top with longer head tubes... for some reason they often seemed to be cut more sensibly. Don't know why exactly, but I often envisaged that an alloy spacer or two acted almost as compression washers, thus sparing the threads a little. On the other hand, I could be talking twaddle.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Actually the use of spacers is complete twaddle. They only perform to very minor and unimportant jobs. Act as a spacer for a steerer that is cut to long. And for tightening the headset when you only have one spanner. Unfortunately if you decide to go this route and rely on the key in the spacer to keep the top cup in position whilst tightening the lock nut you usually end up turning the spacer key into the threads and burring them. If you want to tighten your headset properly get yourself 2 headset spanners.

slammed

Postby slammed » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:14 am

^wow thats cool^
2009 Scott Aspect 10
Malvern Star Skidstar GT

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:54 pm

OK for an AMAZINGlY optimistic 'But It Now' look at this -
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yesc2b9
Good presentation but really its an OK Carlton (gaspipe) from the late 70's.....
Very Sad......

Richard

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 am

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Maybe they slipped when typing 50?

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:53 pm

What are the Velocity's worth?

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 pm

ve safari wrote:What are the Velocity's worth?
not much I would think, pretty sure that's Velocity's cheapest rim