eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

cray-

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby cray- » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:31 am

26" BMX CRUISER 1987 REPCO RANGER RETRO SINGLE SPEED COASTER BIKE $400
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/campbell ... 1026108201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cool, big kids BMX.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 am

I'm going to guess it's not that light, you may well be able to pick up an off the self carbon bike for a few grand that weighs less. Carbon and lightweight alloy construction are pretty impressive these days, my brother just swapped out his very new and expensive Ti frame for a carbon one (he's in the industry and has no kids) and saved 960g and got a stiffer frame to boot. Is a Ti hub really going to be lighter than an Al one for example or is it jut Ti for Ti's sake? I don't know the answer but I'm interested

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Discodan wrote:my brother just swapped out his very new and expensive Ti frame for a carbon one (he's in the industry and has no kids) and saved 960g and got a stiffer frame to boot.
I'm gonna call BS there. Unless he went from a touring frame to a road frame, the weight difference wouldn't be anywhere near that much.

I've no doubt that his bike is that much lighter, but maybe he made gains (or losses depending upon your perspective :) ) with other components.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Discodan wrote:I'm going to guess it's not that light, you may well be able to pick up an off the self carbon bike for a few grand that weighs less. Carbon and lightweight alloy construction are pretty impressive these days, my brother just swapped out his very new and expensive Ti frame for a carbon one (he's in the industry and has no kids) and saved 960g and got a stiffer frame to boot. Is a Ti hub really going to be lighter than an Al one for example or is it jut Ti for Ti's sake? I don't know the answer but I'm interested
Ti for Ti's sake me thinks!
Ti can be made with a ride quality and strength similar to steel, a weight similar to Aluminium, and can be made just as stiff as carbon - whether or not it actually is any of these things is up to the engineering and build. Carbon is used because it can be pumped out in a factory at low cost, Ti (especially) and Steel require a skilled frame builder and a lot of time and money. The main advantages are that Ti lasts for a lot longer (you would own 4 or 5 Carbon bikes in the lifespan of this thing, re do the maths with that in mind), it retains the traditional craftsmanship of the bicycles of yesteryear, is more comfortable to ride regularly and over longer distances and looks very sexy to boot. I'd say that whoever will own that is not primarily concerned with the "lateral stiffness and vertical compliance" (to borrow a well used phrase from every carbon bike review ever) of their frame, but more aware that there are many other factors that make riding a fast bicycle enjoyable. They will also really really like Ti...

As for weight, I went to the toilet this morning and lost at least 960 grams. I think I may actually be more flexible now, I'm about 3cm closer towards touching my toes (according to my own testing, which is only slightly less trustworthy than Giant's) so I may have lost a bit of frame stiffness. What that actually translated to on my 15kg rig compared to last night is inconclusive, but I sure did enjoy the ride.

You're in the Retro section my friend, mention frame material at own risk 8)

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:34 pm

I guess this is HiTen but at least no stem shifters or brake extensions. More like $40~$50, IMO. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Everybody seems to be holding their cards close to their chests this week. :wink: I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by showing this off.
THAT's a paint job

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:39 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Discodan wrote:my brother just swapped out his very new and expensive Ti frame for a carbon one (he's in the industry and has no kids) and saved 960g and got a stiffer frame to boot.
I'm gonna call BS there. Unless he went from a touring frame to a road frame, the weight difference wouldn't be anywhere near that much.

I've no doubt that his bike is that much lighter, but maybe he made gains (or losses depending upon your perspective :) ) with other components.
I agree it's a big number, the Ti frame is a Cube Litening so it's no touring frame and it was tricked out with Enve everything so there wasn't much weight to be saved from components. I'll get more details

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 pm

This Repco (Nishiki) Cresta has got me a little confused.
Repshiki

It just doesn't look to be as high quality as the Nishiki Crestas on google, it seems to have *slightly* different geometry, and it doesn't seem to be nicely finished - I can't see 'Nishiki' stamped on the seat stay ends or anything like that. It does have the Nishiki sticker on the head tube. Also that looks like a Tange 900 sticker, most Cresta's were Tange 2.
What's going on? Is it just the crap photo playing tricks? I wish people would upload more than 1 photo.

This unnamed Nishiki touring bike was sold in the marketplace just over a year ago, seeing it in the marketplace was what made me sign up to BNA. It's 'the one that got away' - although it apparently had a 54cm T-T :| That's even too short for me, and I'm all legs.
Ever since I've always wanted a Nishiki.
IMG_0802 by assman 1, on Flickr

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 pm

I think it is just eye tricks. Here's one that looks very similar to both bikes for comparison.

and here's the one in question.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:25 pm

have you checked the tubeset against the repco catalogues?

its a repco road bike with canti's so it has to be a cresta. i dunno if they were rebadged nishikis, or if they outsourced from somewhere else at some stage.
either way, i'd say go for it.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah. I'm quietly confident it's a Nishiki, you can juuusst see the edge of the head badge under the drop bar, and it certainly looks right

I'm after something with 'sport touring' geo that I can throw some modern (ish) components and fenders on to ride Audax.

(edit)
Ay. Found it in the catalogues. Thanks Munga.

Tange 900 indeed and Aussie built. Not quite as nice as the earlier Nishiki built ones. Hi ten fork. I think I'm too much of a snob for a Hi-ten fork. :lol:

munga

Postby munga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:38 pm

keep an eye out for a shogun alpine gt

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Not retro, but one great steal for the winner!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Time-Trial-B ... 1c35bcbfd9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 pm

1985 63cm Raleigh Prestige with he says slight mods

Bespoke Bikes...brilliant

Hey Lugnut re "and here's the REPCO CRESTA in question" U going to have a crack at it...cause if not I've always wanted one....

Rob

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:17 am

All yours Rob. :)

Also that Bespoke video was great, some well spoken words from the masters. I love watching frame building videos, it's so interesting.
Last edited by LugNut on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:20 am

QuangVuong wrote:Not retro, but one great steal for the winner!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Time-Trial-B ... 1c35bcbfd9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ouch, and a sad handover for the seller!

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:31 am

At least he has $510 to spend on 'how to write eBay ads' lessons.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 am

munga wrote:keep an eye out for a shogun alpine gt
You and me both.

dayne

Postby dayne » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 am

rkelsen wrote:

?? Dropping 975g is easy There is plenty of sub 700g frames out there these days,
If the old frame was Ti and alloy steerer/crown with carbon blades you could drop that easily.
There is also plenty of bikes on the floor these days that are sub 6kg, Mine is 6.3 with training tyres (clinchers), Bottle cages computer/cad sensor and a garmin and mount and pedals.
That is not really trying to hard

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 am

dayne wrote:There is also plenty of bikes on the floor these days that are sub 6kg, Mine is 6.3 with training tyres (clinchers), Bottle cages computer/cad sensor and a garmin and mount and pedals.
That is not really trying to hard
And how many of those bikes would be retro ???

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:38 am

dayne wrote:?? Dropping 975g is easy There is plenty of sub 700g frames out there these days,
Right. And how many Ti frames weigh > 1.7kg?

Even the rubbish ones from ebay/China come in at 1.3kg. A custom one would have to be less than that.

As an aside, a good quality carbon frame (like the Colnago C59) weighs closer to 1.0kg. Something weighing less than 700g would have to be extremely "noodly" (and possibly unsafe) under a 90kg bloke's butt, wouldn't it?
dayne wrote:If the old frame was Ti and alloy steerer/crown with carbon blades you could drop that easily.
Note: Frame only. There was no mention of fork.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 am

The reality is that it's not the frame that makes a difference it's the things that attach to the frame that make a substantial weight gain. A really good steel frame only weighs slightly more than a carbon frame. But the group set, bars, stem, seat post and most importantly the wheels are so much lighter today. The real advance in technology has been in wheels. I recently held a pair of wheels that were one piece of carbon, I.e. that the rim and spokes were one piece . If I saw them without knowing what they were I would of thought that they came from Kmart. They were $8000.00 wheels that were so light and would spin with a slight breeze behind them. If I was apro rider I would ride carbon, because the factory would supply a new bike every time free of charge, but being a weekend rider I want comfort and reliability. That's what steel gives you

dayne

Postby dayne » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:23 am

C59-Quality? hardly i have seen two snapped locally, Italian bikes these days suck.
Check out the Americans guys like http://www.crumptoncycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.parleecycles.com/intro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://calfeedesign.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are doing some impressive stuff
As for forks, New carbon companies are doing 250g ones where as columbus tusk forks that were all the rage on ti frames are about 550g so theres 300g there

Heres a quick frame i found http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/frames_ ... pQodAWAAaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1500g frame only
1900g frame and fork

So its doable to drop near a kilo off a frame, expensive yes, but worth it is up to the rider.

I ride carbon, steel, and alloy bikes and all are great and have their great points it's about choosing the right package for the right rider, I couldnt imagine doing a long or fast hill or race on my 12kg Tommasini but on my S Works is great, but i couldnt imagine doing a raining training ride on my Tommasini either but on the plastic bike i dont care.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am

dayne wrote:So its doable to drop near a kilo off a frame
You're still counting the fork. :lol:

dayne

Postby dayne » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:49 pm

you will have trouble without a fork so most people include them in the weight haha