eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

silentbutdeadly

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:41 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Thanks but no, i'm after something with a 1 1/8" head tube to suit a set of disc forks i've got.
If you don't have to have retro there might be something useful in the NOS frames being almost given away by Avanti Preston via Bikexchange at the moment.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:48 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Austral Roadster
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-trav ... 6f5&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not a ridgey didge one by the look of it. Just some old bike with crappy Austral stickers stuck on it :mrgreen: Worth about $12.63

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Thanks but no, i'm after something with a 1 1/8" head tube to suit a set of disc forks i've got.
If you don't have to have retro there might be something useful in the NOS frames being almost given away by Avanti Preston via Bikexchange at the moment.
:shock: holy moly they've got some cheap stuff, thanks for the heads up.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Large frame Apollo IV...well priced and looks neat.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mens-bicycle ... 817&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When in doubt......mumble.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:50 am

^ That Apollo is a pretty nice one. If it were the next size down (and a bit closer to home), I'd be all over it.

I suspect that the size of it will probably keep the price down.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:18 pm

I think this is an appropriate place to vent my anger, twice in 3 days i've put bids on items only for it to be cancelled within hours (with several days to go) because the item is "no longer available". Would it be that hard to put something in the description, or perhaps even to show me the courtesy of sending an email? :evil:

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I think this is an appropriate place to vent my anger, twice in 3 days i've put bids on items only for it to be cancelled within hours (with several days to go) because the item is "no longer available". Would it be that hard to put something in the description, or perhaps even to show me the courtesy of sending an email? :evil:
I think once an item is "live" with a bid on it then it should be sold at auction not withdrawn because someone mad the seller an offline offer. Sellers should be banned if they continue to do this. It would be in eBay's interest to enforce this as they are missing their cut from the sale.

morini

Postby morini » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:01 pm

I agree to a point but what if you're the seller and the market is in a down turn? I don't want to have to sell something for less than it's worth and be forced to do so. I'd say these were pulled because they either were checking the market or someone sent them a reasonable cash offer outside of the paypal/ebay fees. Done it myself before.

akq

Postby akq » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Agree with you morini,as soon as someone put a bid on my auctions,I ask them if they want to make a bin offer.Would much rather keep the $$ in my pocket than pay ebay( registered in some far off jurisdiction paying bugger all tax) I always try and negotiate with sellers as well by asking if they have a bin in mind,buy outside ebay,save a couple of $$ as does the seller and bugger ebay :)

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 pm

I hear what you both are saying but that is not the intent of eBay, if you don't want to sell it for less that its worth then raise the start price or sell it as a buy now only. An auction is a gamble, we've all seen it favour the buyer but equally seen two peanuts get in a bidding war and pay far more than what it's worth. List it as an auction and let it run its course or list it as a buy now.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:38 pm

if ebay doesn't enforce it, suck it up.
i've bid on a celeste ponza saddle three times, and it always gets killed and relisted.
starts around $20, and the seller has another (bike shop take-off's, probably) listed at around $70. Sells for $20-$30 and seller kills auction, relists same day.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 pm

IMO - I don't like it when people try and sell outside ebay etc, If you use a service, then pay for it. It's what got you connected in the first place.

Be smart about what you sell and when you sell it. I've held onto a 2nd hand trek and sold it after cadel won the tour, I made $300 on the price I bought it for a few years ago.

Although I really think ebay should be tougher. If you list, you sell it, unless you set a reserve.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Typhoon Ken wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:I think this is an appropriate place to vent my anger, twice in 3 days i've put bids on items only for it to be cancelled within hours (with several days to go) because the item is "no longer available". Would it be that hard to put something in the description, or perhaps even to show me the courtesy of sending an email? :evil:
I think once an item is "live" with a bid on it then it should be sold at auction not withdrawn because someone mad the seller an offline offer. Sellers should be banned if they continue to do this. It would be in eBay's interest to enforce this as they are missing their cut from the sale.
My thoughts exactly, and that's how i approach things when i'm the one selling. The really annoying thing is on the one last night i asked them to measure the top tube, and when they got back to me confirming it was my size i immediately put a bid on. You would think that makes it kind of obvious i'm keen!
Last edited by ldrcycles on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Get a reality check some of you people! If you use a service then pay for it.The only way buyers and sellers connect with each other is by using such a service. When you list an item for 99cents in an auction then it"S YOUR PROBLEM IF IT SELLS FOR THAT, IF YOU HAVEN"T PUT A RESERVE. It"s dishonest to pull an auction because it"s not going how you hoped it would.If your confident your item is worth $$, then put a buy it now or best offer, not some dishonest attempt to get more than it really is worth. GREED IS NOT GOOD.Another winge is that whenever I"ve purchased something on ebay and I go to collect it, I'm not there to inspect it, but pay and collect it. If I wanted to inspect it I should've done so during the auction. I say this even though I've never sold anything on ebay, but I've bought more than 300 bike related items.NEVER had a problem. AND by the way I've only had a unpleasant dealings with a forum member, who gave me an undertaking which he subsequently did not follow through with!

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote: Overpriced but interesting, has anyone heard of Roblyn?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Old-Roblyn-R ... 0f1&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a reasonably well built bike. If you look at the treatment on the top of the seat cluster it's a cut above most of the gas pipe turds it looks like. might be a nice interesting pickup.

Oops, looks like a decent head-on at some point. in the bin.
Last edited by xerlex on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:24 am

I hate reserves. Stupid idea. If your not going to sell it for less start the auction st the price you want instead of wasting bidders times. Either that or have a BIN with a best offer option.

morini

Postby morini » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:50 am

All these arguments are good but lets face it we're all chasing a bargain. Hands up who wants to pay market prices? No one on here does pay market prices because we've all got a bit of inside info on what's hot and what's not. Honesty and integrity have nothing to do with it. When it comes to ebay or Gumtree or garage sales or street clean ups, it's the smell of napalm in the morning that we all love. (Lockie, that gives me the sh*ts when sellers do that)

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 am

Kermit TF wrote:Large frame Apollo IV...well priced and looks neat.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mens-bicycle ... 817&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice, but too big, sadly. :cry:
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Fixer, Just this arvo I donated 4 x large apollo frames/ bottom brackets etc to a work mate to tinker with his small kids. So suddenly , it now appears I have some more room in the shed...... :lol:
When in doubt......mumble.

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Must remember to get myself a life instead of trawling overseas auction sites, but this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bianchi-vinta ... 4d20f9a269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... was just too awful not to post for a laugh. Love the seller's (lack of) explanation.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:19 pm

feelthewheel wrote:Must remember to get myself a life instead of trawling overseas auction sites, but this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bianchi-vinta ... 4d20f9a269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... was just too awful not to post for a laugh. Love the seller's (lack of) explanation.
Whats scary is the 4 bids on a gas pipe Bianchi.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:36 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
feelthewheel wrote:Must remember to get myself a life instead of trawling overseas auction sites, but this:

Whats scary is the 4 bids on a gas pipe Bianchi.
What's scarier is 4 bids on a gas pipe Bianchi that's obviously had a head-on at some point.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:46 am

Exactly.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:29 am

But it's just the "front bar" that needs straightening. :)

5 star freak

Postby 5 star freak » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am

:idea: Easy fix. Turn the steering around 180degrees and ride into another wall .That should push the fork back into shape. :lol: