eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Wal42

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Wal42 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:32 pm

IMHO, spoilt by having brifters fitted, but hey if that floats your boat.

Maybe I should fit brifters to the Superlite, or just build it with the Suntour bits & flog it, if the Razesa lobs I may consider selling the Superlite, I could put it on eblag & ask really stupid money for it.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:25 pm

dv wrote:Hi Guys
I was quick out of the blocks on the Petrus. I've developed a thing for Australian made frames...
The good news (for me) is that there's definitely no bend in the top tube. I did look pretty closely, as how you break a crank (a very nice campy crank too) without trashing the bike, I have no idea. The bike has some other nice campy parts (not too worn out, but I need to clean them up to be positive) and is very light......which is where the problems start. The issues are a few localised but serious spots of rust, both in the frame and on the forks. The tubing is so thin there cannot be much steel left under those spots - so I will have a really good look on the weekend to see how bad it is. Coming into xmas I will not be moving fast at all, and depending on the damage I find it may wind up a pretty long term project. The Petrus bikes (from what little I have been able to find) are no too common at all - so I will put it back as close to original as I can. This is assuming that the frame is not rusted through anywhere at all. I think the forks are OK, but they will need to be re-chromed. In any case - as you guys pointed out - it was perhaps not a "steal" - but I think it was definitely worth a punt. And it's a piece of Australian cycling history built (I think) by Peter Brotherton - but mid to late 80s, not 60s!....
Cheers
dv

Am I going crazy or are the bars Cinelli #14s?

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Wal42 wrote:IMHO, spoilt by having brifters fitted, but hey if that floats your boat.
Tell me again why they're the devil? Its been at least 14 hours ;)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 am

Dan wrote:
Wal42 wrote:IMHO, spoilt by having brifters fitted, but hey if that floats your boat.
You have to admit that those ones are fairly ugly. Some 1st or 2nd gen Ergopowers would suit that bike a lot better. Those Shimano units look like erect penii.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:27 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Dan wrote:
You have to admit that those ones are fairly ugly. Some 1st or 2nd gen Ergopowers would suit that bike a lot better. Those Shimano units look like erect penii.
we take it you've had experience? j/k

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 pm

:lol: I've always got me hand on it.

The brifters!

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Dan wrote:

Brifters are fine on a modern frame, but in my opinion, fitting them to a retro bike is like taking a classic car & making a hot rod out of it, yep it may look nice & it may perform a little better, but where's the soul, where's that classic appearance & appeal?

We all know how much I love D/T shifting, want performance? Just look at the set up I now have on the Verty, still D/T shifted but full 9 speed indexed D/T shifted, how much do I lose out to a briftered bike? Maybe a second a Km, maybe a little less if I put the hard yards in, it isn't much.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm with Wal, and not just because of his enormous distance.

Bikes always look better when they are styled to the period, the overall effect just seem more balanced and purposeful to my eye. The leanness of an 80s steel frame with it's fine stays and tapered lugs is compromised by fistfuls of rubber blobbed onto the bars. Looks heavy and front weighted.

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm

some very good reasoning - thanks gents!

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:44 pm

That Alan is teasing me. I thought it'd be gone by now.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Genuine Shimano C50 tubulars for only $800 apparently the boyfriend doesn't deserve them now....... Or the other set.......

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 500wt_1288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:51 pm

A lot of people get strange ideas about what stuff's worth. Giant. I reckon a co-efficient of around 0.5 quite often applies to bring things back to reality.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:53 pm

bosvit wrote:Genuine Shimano C50 tubulars for only $800 apparently the boyfriend doesn't deserve them now....... Or the other set.......

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 500wt_1288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure how you think that Shimano C50 tubulars are "old" junk, my opinion may be that, yes they are junk, but even I can't come to call them old, especially since the ad states they are new, not NOS even.

Sorry, not trying to split hairs, but this is a retro page, you're probably drawing attention to the wrong people, maybe the modern page should have a "Hey , I've found a great bargain page", the problem with that is, by the time all the modern guys have given up trying to buy them, they won't be a bargain anymore.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Last edited by Rob74 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 pm

frailer5 wrote:A lot of people get strange ideas about what stuff's worth. Giant. I reckon a co-efficient of around 0.5 quite often applies to bring things back to reality.

I guess they think they may get that, I've been watching 2 Benotto's in Europe, both were originally listed at US$750, both have not had bids for the last 6 weeks, one guy has dropped the price down to $720 the other has given up advertising it (for now anyway). What's a early 80's Giant (yep it is a Giant, the frame number starts with G, I know I looked carefully at the pictures) worth? I'm not sure, $450 is probably a little too much, but hey, it's worth what someone will pay for it. It'll probably not attract a bid & they'll put it up again a bit cheaper, it's probably worth around $200, but I'd only pay that for a bike I could inspect first, off eblag from an interstate seller, I'd say a little bit over $150.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 pm

frailer5 wrote:A lot of people get strange ideas about what stuff's worth. Giant. I reckon a co-efficient of around 0.5 quite often applies to bring things back to reality.
=>> Seem to recall you had one similar for sale frailer5 per your response to my post pg 65 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 pm on this ebay potrgttsoj thread

Rob

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 am

that's the dodgy seller i posted about 2 weeks ago. avoid!

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:24 am

munga wrote:
that's the dodgy seller i posted about 2 weeks ago. avoid!
RE munga » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:19 pm and the following posts

....Ai Ai Captain…and to quote it perfectly "flying bicycles you and your dodgy activity."

However my thought was if you are in SA Arrange to meet the Rosiehipster and call their bluff

Rob.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:17 am

is it? lugs look familiar :?
Daccordi

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 am

it has CAMPY pedals. Could be worth thousands.....

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:10 pm

SA Super Elliot..damm it...so far away.

Rob

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:50 pm

I really like the look of that Tommasini , though the starting price is usually where I finish :( Happily it's too big for me :)

As an aside, was out riding this morning and on the way back caught up with an older guy on a sweet 80s Bianchi, Columbus SLX, chrome forks and stays, Shimano 600 brakes and a more recent ergo campy drive train. Nice bike says I. This old bus, it gets me along says he. Want to sell it says I? No, says he. Worth a try says I :D

dubrat

Postby dubrat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Don't think that's a real Tommasini....

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:11 pm

dubrat wrote:Don't think that's a real Tommasini....
I was suspicious at first