eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

singlespeedscott

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 pm

grantw wrote:That Apollo is quite interesting. I remember seeing a V in my local WOW dealer (Hadley cycles in Adamstown) when I was in my teens. It was gorgeous.
I have a V awaiting some love. I too remember Hadley's at Adamstown. Ironically my dad bought me an Apollo from there. Sadly not a V.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Nice though. Just not at that price. Very similar to my 85 Himalaya. I love the geo of those old MTB's.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 am

Seller likes his shift key

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:02 am

wqlava1 wrote:
Seller likes his shift key
That's A Lot Of Hard Work :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Re Rob74 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:41 pm
"...Wait for it....
**Apollo IV 57cm**..."

Should you be considering....look at Killanyvale on spam elgoog, think non sealled shed and note proximity to the salt water......ask questions!
Ceavat Emptor!
* Seat post seized in frame
* Stem seized in frame, (quill section releases though)
Should you be successful, you will need a bucket of penetrene and a long long time..... probably necessary to resort to a CO2 fire extinguisher, plus big hammer and timber dolly.....even then dicey.
Donor parts anyone?

Rob

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:42 pm

That white apollo is definitely not a V ...
Its more than likely some sort of un-decaled IV at best and would have just preceded the concords and jaguars, those brakes are terrible :cry: The 80-84 gold decal IV's where more nicer in my opinion than the 85 and on models.
Theres a gold 87 apollo V also on evilbay and its very poorly specd like something from Big W..Quite sad actually.
The 83 model V however is a work of art....just need to find one. ...My 5 cents. :)
When in doubt......mumble.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Merlin...Merlin...Merlin

=>> (Spectrum Titanium Classic Custom bike Dura Ace Mavic Merlin Mavic Not Litespeed)

RX100 Brifters = Huh?

Rob

plasticmann

Postby plasticmann » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110987254010 ... _779wt_932

There's a beautiful bike hiding behind the yellow paint and black transfers. Bit big for me though.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Rob74 wrote:Merlin...Merlin...Merlin

=>> (Spectrum Titanium Classic Custom bike Dura Ace Mavic Merlin Mavic Not Litespeed)

RX100 Brifters = Huh?

Rob
not many fans of the early merlins re: durability (stays cracking). was interested until i did some homework. will probably go for price of components :/

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:57 am

plasticmann wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110987254010 ... _779wt_932

There's a beautiful bike hiding behind the yellow paint and black transfers. Bit big for me though.
A paino? I am sceptical.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:01 am

plasticmann wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110987254010 ... _779wt_932

For some reason he wanted it lo-vis on the Serengeti Plain. :?: Too big for me too. Nice lug-work/fork crown, by the looks. Would be an easy pickup, too. :(
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 am

Unicorn 1 =>>
BNA Reto Apollophiles Pg4 by PawPaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 am & PawPaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:43 pm(Supported by me per by Rob74 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 pm also on BNA Reto Apollophiles Pg3 )
And my "Original Catalogue"
APOLLO NEWS - World of Wheels (WOW) Catalogue
Warren Norris Advertising 9 84
Printed in Australia by John Sands Printing Sydney NSW
APOLLO VI – 12 Speed
Colour: Pearl White
Frame: 019 CrMo double butted frame - "019" Sticker at top of seat tube
Forks: CrMo - "CrMo" stickers on both sides of the top of the fork blades
Ensemble: Suntour Superbe Pro
Sealed bearing B.B. Hubs & Pedals
Derailleurs: Superbe
Brake Set: CB3000
Panaracer Leger 230 GSM tubulars

Unicorn 2 =>>
"Apollo ?Imperial? "1983 American release"...Dura-Ace EVERYTHING, made by Kuwahara, Osaka Japan" per Rob74 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 pm BNA Reto Apollophiles Pg4
Now this Evil Bay thread………Re the White Vintage Apollo (by frailer5 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm
Attention Retro-giants in Sydney. Something noice, unusual, different. 'Bernard Hinault' Simplex RD, no less)
=>> I want to believe in the third Unicorn as much as others…BUT I doubt this is it.

Discussions with the Seller
1st Attempt
Me "What is the 'Frame Serial Number" where is it located?....."
Sell "Underside of Bottom bracket 2-369"
Me "What is the diameter of the seat pole?"
Sell "28.6mm"
Me "Stampings on wheel hubs?"
Sell "F Suzie, R Shimano"
Me "Can I come and look at it on Friday or Sat at a time to suit?"
Sell "Sorry not available, the bike will not be at my place until Monday night"

2nd attempt
Me "Can I come an & look at it on Monday after 18:00"
Sell "No response"
ME "Is it gloss white or Pearl White"
Seller " Pearl White,"
Me "Araya 27 x 1 1/4 Japan? Are there red Araya Stickers on the rims, do you think the rims and hubs are original or have you or the previous ownner replaced the rims, was expecting 27 x 1 1/8 rims"
Sell "There are no stickers on the rims & unsure if they have been changed."
=>> Now I can see red stickers on the rims fitted to the APOLLO VI, APOLLO NEWS - World of Wheels (WOW) Catalogue Warren Norris Advertising 9 84.
plus the rims are eyeletted on the Apollo V from 1985 and I'd be very surprised if the rims on the Apollo VI were not eyeletted…however an Apollo III from that era had non eyeletted plain jane Araya 27 x 1 1/4 rims. The photos of this bike clearly show non eyeletted rims.
Seller statement " the information i have located on this bike it does not resemble any Apollo's I've seen, It was possibly built as a custom with leftover parts fitted as all the running gear is from the same era."
Me "Agreed the component mix on the bike is somewhat odd……Did you build or the previous owner, or replace the brakes or rear durailer or any other components with those presently on the bike?"
Seller "No response"
Me "front hub is Suzie..any other descriptor?"
Seller "Front hub is a Suzie Date code 6"
Me "the rear hub Shimano ..any other descriptor?"
Seller "Rear Hub Shimano via Date code JJ"

Seller Offers the following statement unprompted "You possibly already knew this but have been told that this frame & fork combo is quiet rare Apollo VI 1984 which was there top end bike."
=>> Given this and the mis information above…… I thought all right ……game on for the 3rd Attempt

3rd Attempt
Me "I have the 1984 WOW Apollo Catalogue. The components on your bike do not match the spec of the 1984 catalogue.
Further a 1985 Apollo V which has the same "019" frame as far as I am aware and its serial number is on the non drive side of the seat tube =>> in the correct format for Kuwahara built Ishiwata "019" eg "85 10 8820"

The 2-369 serial number you have mentioned on the underside of the bottom bracket is more like what I have seen on Apollo II & III frames which are not "019". Yours has an "019" sticker affixed.
=>> Not saying that it is not "019" just that the information available to me on which to base a decision is conflicting."

Seller Response "Don't want to mention persons name but gave him part serial number of the left hand lower side of seat tube which reads either a 2 or 8 then 4 then a space another illegible number the 5 then space then what looks like 62635 this is without total destroying the paint work. Yes the parts don't correspond but he went of the serial number."
=>> So now seller has now changed both the location and detail of the serial number (ie from "Underside of Bottom bracket 2-369" to "left hand lower side of seat tube which reads either a 2 or 8 then 4 then a space another illegible number the 5 then space then what looks like 62635 this is without total destroying the paint work")
=>> Did Apollo really build 62635 bikes in 2 or 8 then 4………to quote it perfectly "Flying Bicycles"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me "What does the bike weigh? (Park Tools bike scales or similar preferred, if not stand on the bathroom scales with and without the bike)"
Seller "Don't have scales in the house so can't verify the weight"

Me "You said "The seat tube inner diameter is 28.6mm"
=>> Are you sure? I am expecting something different for a Kuwahara built Ishiwata "019 Frame"."
Seller "My dyslexia must have kicked in the seat tube is 26.8mm."

Me "I always prefer to inspect old bikes/vintage bikes before buying, could the bike be inspected after 18:00 on Monday?"
Seller "My son will have the bike so can't say wether inspection will be ok have to wait until Monday arvo."

Summary:
The frame appears unique.
As for the forks? there should be stickers on the fork blades there are none in the photos. No one in their right mind would have removed them.
As for the parts mixed bag...some Apollo III stuff

Everyone loves a good illusion........
=>> Is it worth a 4th attempt???? else suggest limiting your bids to the worth of an Apollo III

On Evil BAY
Caveat emptor!!!

Rob.
Last edited by Rob74 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

plasticmann

Postby plasticmann » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:20 am

grantw wrote:
A paino? I am sceptical.
The lug work has the right cutout shapes for a Paino.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:06 pm

plasticmann wrote:
grantw wrote:
A paino? I am sceptical.
The lug work has the right cutout shapes for a Paino.
No they're don't - and they don't look to be thinned as they are on Paino frames - oh and the bb on Paino's are manually stamped with a serial number on the drive side of the BB which is in turn slotted, and the der cable guides are on top of the bb. Anyway the market hath spoke - $137 for the win. It's a nice bike for that price in any case (sora brifters aside)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Rob74 wrote:Merlin...Merlin...Merlin

RX100 Brifters = Huh?

Rob
Which aspect of the RX100 Brifters = Huh?
They were a mid range 8 speed Shimano Brifter from the mid 90's, just below 105. Not bad for what they were.
My confusion is why they were put with the 7400 (8spd) derailler. This is a combo that shouldn't work according to Shimano, Sheldon and other sources. I actually got that RD to work adequately with a 9spd DA shifter for quite a few years.

Cheers,

Cameron

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Looks like a pre-WW2 2-star (squared-off headset lugs) for sale on that 'bay' thing:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Malv ... 3f2037ae3e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No connection to seller. Merry Christmas all!

plasticmann

Postby plasticmann » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:11 pm

grantw wrote:
No they're don't - and they don't look to be thinned as they are on Paino frames - oh and the bb on Paino's are manually stamped with a serial number on the drive side of the BB which is in turn slotted, and the der cable guides are on top of the bb. Anyway the market hath spoke - $137 for the win. It's a nice bike for that price in any case (sora brifters aside)
Shows how much I know. Lucky it was too big for me. Would love a Paino in my size. Grew up in the Shire and a few of my mates rode them when we were at school but they were out of my reach. From memory Frank had his shop up at Miranda. My 5 speed water pipe Raleigh Rapide was my limit. $115 which took a year of delivering papers. :)

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 pm

plasticmann wrote: Shows how much I know. Lucky it was too big for me. Would love a Paino in my size. Grew up in the Shire and a few of my mates rode them when we were at school but they were out of my reach. From memory Frank had his shop up at Miranda. My 5 speed water pipe Raleigh Rapide was my limit. $115 which took a year of delivering papers. :)
Every-time I take mine out for a run I get nostalgic comments about it from various shire cycle folk, mostly guys my age who couldn't afford one at the time but used to hang out at the shop and dream. He sold a range of bikes at different spec levels (and you see a few on the bay lately - think Ultima), but the Paino branded ones, with columbus SLX tubing, cast fork crown and seat stay ends and campy dropouts are the ones to covet. The build is superb, stiff yet flexible and light as a feather.

Now back to the carnival...

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:20 pm

grantw wrote:- oh and the bb on Paino's are manually stamped with a serial number on the drive side of the BB which is in turn slotted,
This is not always strictly true. I have two Paino bicycles that don't have the frame number stamped there, only on the steerer.
These are definitely Paino frames, unless someone has gone to the trouble of panto graphing the stay tops as well as faking the decals (not the same as Greg's), the paint and the patina and then selling them cheaply to me :wink:
From the stories I have heard Frank Paino was probably not the most meticulous chap with stuff that did not pertain to actually building the frames, where he was punctilious. Certainly his paint jobs varied in quality quite a lot.
Cheers
Richard

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Quality custom made commuting/touring bike, not sold, in Sydney. Good for anyone around 6ft.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261142446269 ... 500wt_1300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Rob, that white thingamajig is all over the place. The rear derailleur is worth $5.95... :cry:
It needs to be advertised as a custom rather than any numbered apollo.
Im still yet to see a correct photo of an apollo V the full aero model..
When in doubt......mumble.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:50 am

WyvernRH wrote: This is not always strictly true. I have two Paino bicycles that don't have the frame number stamped there, only on the steerer.
These are definitely Paino frames, unless someone has gone to the trouble of panto graphing the stay tops as well as faking the decals (not the same as Greg's), the paint and the patina and then selling them cheaply to me :wink:
From the stories I have heard Frank Paino was probably not the most meticulous chap with stuff that did not pertain to actually building the frames, where he was punctilious. Certainly his paint jobs varied in quality quite a lot.
Cheers
Richard
Interesting.

We should set up an appreciation thread.

Edit - have done - http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=59576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:39 pm

As a foil to the dodgy Apollos there are some beautiful old bikes on the bay at the moment- albeit mostly in france,

Routens

Captivante

Barra

Singer Mixte for $90 plus shipping

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 pm

How good is the Singer for that price?
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

jimmy boy

Postby jimmy boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Bidding for this Cinelli BMX stalled at $350 with a day or two to go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/old-school-7 ... 642wt_1165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like the seller got a case of the sweats and decided to pull it - reason being:

"it was only ever going to get up to 1K and for that and due to that decided to hold on to it..."

Apparently these days a thousand dollars in not enough for a second hand BMX

Word is, it might be up for sale at Pushies Galor in the near future as the seller is a regular there.

A great human being by all accounts.