eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

morini

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby morini » Fri May 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Tinker wrote:
Ahem!

I wouldnt call Generation X old farts just yet!
Off topic I know, but Gen X-ers got the best music..... punk and New Wave.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 pm

And not forgetting metal.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Fri May 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Fixie4sale

That's a Miyata 1200, a notch below the Team Miyata. Bits of the Sante group set can still be seen. Brisbanites swoop!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Sante is a group that gets little love. Many don't seem to know it sat below Dura Ace and above 600.

rollin

Postby rollin » Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 pm

rollin wrote:Bargain
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Very-Very-Ra ... 4ed&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
156 made only 18 known to still exist, old school bmx collectors are nut jobs and even worse are quicksilver collectors , they only pop up ever 2 years or so, still 3+k for an old bmx?

Here's the biggest quicky collector in oz but sshh don't mention the hosts name...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dlTM-4ycO4c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Fri May 30, 2014 7:27 pm

morini wrote:
Tinker wrote:
Ahem!

And the second wave of Ska!

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Fri May 30, 2014 7:31 pm

rollin wrote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Very-Very-Ra ... 4ed&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
156 made only 18 known to still exist, old school bmx collectors are nut jobs and even worse are quicksilver collectors , they only pop up ever 2 years or so, still 3+k for an old bmx?

Here's the biggest quicky collector in oz but sshh don't mention the hosts name...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dlTM-4ycO4c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha! Never saw this one.

Saw The Pokers many a time. Always a great show put on by Pete Porker and the guys. Their gig with Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Royal Crown Revue back in the 90's was one of my all time faves.

morini

Postby morini » Fri May 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Tinker wrote:
morini wrote:
Tinker wrote:
Ahem!

And the second wave of Ska!
I'll second that. I'd love to see the British Beat while they're here. It's not fair missing out on all that good inner city stuff when you live up the bush.

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 30, 2014 7:57 pm

don't forget rick astley.

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Fri May 30, 2014 8:08 pm

morini wrote:
Tinker wrote:
I'll second that. I'd love to see the British Beat while they're here. It's not fair missing out on all that good inner city stuff when you live up the bush.
Luckily I got to see them all. Only one I never saw was The Bodysnatchers.

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Fri May 30, 2014 8:09 pm

munga wrote:don't forget rick astley.
He's coming to Geelong to perform later this year.

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 30, 2014 8:10 pm

oh. sorry to hear that, geelong.

singlespeedscott

eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 30, 2014 8:20 pm

rollin wrote:

Certainly buying nostalgia. A pretty crappy welded frame. All the parts look pretty crappy and low spec. Sugino, suntour, Shimano all made better quality 3 piece cranks at the time. Brakes are crappy, flexible cheap dia compe. Headset is basic junk that's probably knackered. Seatpost meh. Some peoples memories are pretty hazy. To many bongs pulled at the BMX track back in the day me thinks.

And yes the host needs to be hung, drawn and quartered like all his sort.

rollin

Postby rollin » Fri May 30, 2014 9:21 pm

definitely the holy grail, they usually go for 3k frame only and if you could find 5 more they'd be sold in 5 mins for the same dough...

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sat May 31, 2014 7:15 pm

Tinker wrote:
morini wrote:
Tinker wrote:
Luckily I got to see them all. Only one I never saw was The Bodysnatchers.
Hey, I just dug out my Specials albums and the Dance Craze compilation last weekend and had a listen. Hadn't spun them in years. Still pretty cool. Brings back memories of the suit and scooter days.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat May 31, 2014 7:42 pm

Stuey wrote:
Hey, I just dug out my Specials albums and the Dance Craze compilation last weekend and had a listen. Hadn't spun them in years. Still pretty cool. Brings back memories of the suit and scooter days.
Now ya talkin. Do the dog, not the donkey. Superb lyrics.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat May 31, 2014 9:21 pm

That quicksilver has got me stumped !
In 1981 at my school only the short kids had bmx's, the tall geeky kids like me rode 10speeds with paniers. "I" had a bennett Sebring mk2 with toe clips and a shimano drink bottle :mrgreen: ...until the tragic day my laces on my dessert boot got caught in the chainwheel and I went for a sixer in the quadrangle....my dignity went out the window, arrr the memories.
When in doubt......mumble.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:11 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
rollin wrote:

Certainly buying nostalgia. A pretty crappy welded frame. All the parts look pretty crappy and low spec. Sugino, suntour, Shimano all made better quality 3 piece cranks at the time. Brakes are crappy, flexible cheap dia compe. Headset is basic junk that's probably knackered. Seatpost meh. Some peoples memories are pretty hazy. To many bongs pulled at the BMX track back in the day me thinks.

i dont think the quality of parts are an issue, if its original, and has the correct parts, then someone who is a die hard collector and knows how rare it is will see it as something different to what most other people see it as. Same goes for skateboarding- i was a skateboarder in the 80's 90's and 00's and i collected skateboards from the council cleanups (50+ skateboards in total) the most expensive board in my collection had the worst parts possible by todays standards but my Surfa Sam sold for $800, i sold my collection for over $6000 and all were found on council cleanup and restored by myself using lots of brown vinegar, polish and hard work. The point im making is that although something has bad parts, or is crude in its construction, it is the background,story behind or uniquness of the item and its appeal within the right group that brings in the dollars. if a person isnt a collector of bmx bikes then their understanding of the quicksilver bike will lack that bit of info and desire to want it, if it had an interesting place in the lineup of bmx designs back in the day but they were ignorant to the fact for whatever reason, then they wont appreciate or understand the price tag.
one mans trash........ one more point- Vintage Ducati motorcycles have (and rightly so) the worst reputation for quality of parts, fitment and attention to detail compared to other bike manufactures of the day yet vintage Ducati bikes are probably the most expensive bikes one could ever find (1960's Desmo's, 750 sport, green frame, 900ss) just to name a few. parts alone bring in a premium. so here endeth my 2 cents. :shock:
steel is the real deal.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:42 am

LugNut wrote:Fixie4sale

That's a Miyata 1200, a notch below the Team Miyata. Bits of the Sante group set can still be seen. Brisbanites swoop!
:?: :!: Miyata 1200! Best bike on here for 10 pages! $200 BIN! Who cares about a rusty BMX!

Perhaps I'm too young. If we're going to talk about skate park junk I'd rather talk about about Razor scooters. 8)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:34 am

mark field wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
rollin wrote: 156 made only 18 known to still exist, old school bmx collectors are nut jobs and even worse are quicksilver collectors , they only pop up ever 2 years or so, still 3+k for an old bmx?

i dont think the quality of parts are an issue, if its original, and has the correct parts, then someone who is a die hard collector and knows how rare it is will see it as something different to what most other people see it as. Same goes for skateboarding- i was a skateboarder in the 80's 90's and 00's and i collected skateboards from the council cleanups (50+ skateboards in total) the most expensive board in my collection had the worst parts possible by todays standards but my Surfa Sam sold for $800, i sold my collection for over $6000 and all were found on council cleanup and restored by myself using lots of brown vinegar, polish and hard work. The point im making is that although something has bad parts, or is crude in its construction, it is the background,story behind or uniquness of the item and its appeal within the right group that brings in the dollars. if a person isnt a collector of bmx bikes then their understanding of the quicksilver bike will lack that bit of info and desire to want it, if it had an interesting place in the lineup of bmx designs back in the day but they were ignorant to the fact for whatever reason, then they wont appreciate or understand the price tag.
one mans trash........ one more point- Vintage Ducati motorcycles have (and rightly so) the worst reputation for quality of parts, fitment and attention to detail compared to other bike manufactures of the day yet vintage Ducati bikes are probably the most expensive bikes one could ever find (1960's Desmo's, 750 sport, green frame, 900ss) just to name a few. parts alone bring in a premium. so here endeth my 2 cents. :shock:
As I said their buying nostalgia. Nothing more. In the cycling world the Ducati equivalent is Campagnolo. The parts they made, although functional or serviceable where nothing flash in the performance area when compared to slot of other stuff in the 50's-80's but that's where the money is.

morini

Postby morini » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Interesting conversation. I'm actually building a 750 Ducati Green Frame replica as we speak but with a few modern tweaks like cartridge fork internals, modern electrics and a modern ignition. All hidden from view so the tyre kickers can fawn over it looking for evidence that it's not a "real one". These modifications are really about usability and reliability because I intend using it but I'm also chasing the nostalgia that Scott mentioned. I'm no different to the BMX crew or the skateboard mob and I'm sure we're all going get a kick out of riding what ever we're using regardless of cost because someone will always want it more than we do. It's just hard work finding these things for a fraction of the market price but isn't that why we're all on here? Beats using mobile phones, computer games and Facebook any day.

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Once a jolly jumbukk, sold on the internet ... (with apologies to Banjo Patterson)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mercian ... 1e8c4f8cde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... possibly this seller is a forum member? Or lurker? They have a lot of vintage cycling goodies listed.
Last edited by feelthewheel on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:02 pm

Pricey but WOW!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/avanti-vintage- ... 258fa06d0b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:51 pm

Speedwell skidstar with spares. Seems a reasonable starting price for a change - $200 View item

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:06 am

feelthewheel wrote:Once a jolly jumbukk, sold on the internet ... (with apologies to Banjo Patterson)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mercian ... 1e8c4f8cde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... possibly this seller is a forum member? Or lurker? They have a lot of vintage cycling goodies listed.
I believe some of his bikes appear in David Rapley's book Racing Bicycles: 100 years of Steel

If it's who I think it is.