eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby stackyard59 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Many frames were made in the cantilever style,going back to the Bsa Parratropper design and probably earlier. Identification ,and just plain cash in seems to be a problem now.
Trevor
Ravenous Wantamuchamous
User avatar
stackyard59
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Canberra,Cycle Path Heaven

by BNA » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 pm

BNA
 

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bridgethegap71 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Prices of unrestored ladies bike have risen quite dramatically!

link

sorry not sure how to make this url shorter! :roll:
Last edited by im_no_pro on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made the url shorter for you :)
User avatar
bridgethegap71
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Thornleigh, SYDNEY, NSW, AUSTRALIA

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:35 pm

I still don't understand why someone would pay that amount of money for a 20 year old K-mart bike. A brand new one costs $350 less than that.

Each to their own, I guess...
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby cray- » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Always on the lookout for a decent Nishiki Olympic 12 in metallic red so that I can have another crack at replacing the forks on my old beastie. This one popped up on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT But I'm afraid the price is more than double what I'd be willing to pay. Mine only cost me $50 and was in better condition, all original. Ah well, hopefully it'll be passed in and relisted at a lower price. Sucks, cause it's local as well.

Not quite sure what the wikipedia link is supposed to prove in relation to it rarity and value:
QHave you considered a buy it now price? 10-Feb-10

A: hello, i have many people watching this bike and have had quite a few offers.feel free to make me an offer.if you are in doubt as to its value or collectibility go to - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle ). best regards zac.


Upon closer inspection it seems there are a few parts that have been replaced on this one: brake levers replaced with aero type, the shifters are some cheap ugly ones, possibly off a 90's model and the front dérailleur isn't original either. Possibly worst of all......some bugger got rid of the pie plate!

Click the image below for a link to more pics of mine if you're curious: Image
Last edited by cray- on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cray-
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: SOR.perth.au

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bridgethegap71 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 pm

rkelsen wrote:I still don't understand why someone would pay that amount of money for a 20 year old K-mart bike. A brand new one costs $350 less than that.

Each to their own, I guess...


The challenge of a restoration project (a lot of boyfriends out there fixing for girlfriends!)
The idea of recycling - good for planet etc
The build quality of old
Classic Styling - Some people haven't ridden since they were kids and feel familiar with this style
The potential
Fashion
Proven to last - if it's lasted 30 years that'll be 29 years longer than a new K-mart bike!
Last edited by bridgethegap71 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bridgethegap71
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Thornleigh, SYDNEY, NSW, AUSTRALIA

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 pm

bridgethegap71 wrote:Fashion

Probably the biggest reason, because a 20 year old Roadmaster or Repco isn't better than a brand new $440 bike in any other way.

I wonder how many of them get used once, like a $400 pair of shoes (because they're so uncomfortable, and besides, I haven't got anything that goes with them)?
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

cray- wrote:Upon closer inspection it seems there are a few parts that have been replaced on this one: brake levers replaced with aero type, the shifters are some cheap ugly ones, possibly off a 90's model and the front dérailleur isn't original either.

They look like 105 SIS shifters to me. Not as "nice looking" as yours, but not cheap ass, either.

Interesting to see if someone buys it for $200. Funny thing is, if he'd listed it for $0.99, it'd probably get to $200 anyway.
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bridgethegap71 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 pm

rkelsen wrote:
bridgethegap71 wrote:Fashion

Probably the biggest reason, because a 20 year old Roadmaster or Repco isn't better than a brand new $440 bike in any other way.

I wonder how many of them get used once, like a $400 pair of shoes (because they're so uncomfortable, and besides, I haven't got anything that goes with them)?


rkelsen, always quick to respond on this topic! But here's my opinion. I disagree with you.
Luckily thousands of others do too, haven't you heard of the retro bike movement? I think we're in the retro biking forum aren't we? :roll: Many of our customers ride to work every day on their "trendy fashionable retro bikes" and some have worn the tires bald! Do you own Nikes? or are you a Dunlop man? Both are comfortable, but one style looks much better than the other :wink: I'm sure there's the same number of " new kmart bikes" that only get used once too. Lets not assume that retro ladies bikes don't get ridden, they do, how many of them have you seen around Sydney?
How about, we turn up to the next retro bike meet and I'll give you a ride on one?
User avatar
bridgethegap71
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Thornleigh, SYDNEY, NSW, AUSTRALIA

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby toff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:07 am

rkelsen wrote:
cray- wrote:Upon closer inspection it seems there are a few parts that have been replaced on this one: brake levers replaced with aero type, the shifters are some cheap ugly ones, possibly off a 90's model and the front dérailleur isn't original either.

They look like 105 SIS shifters to me. Not as "nice looking" as yours, but not cheap ass, either.

Not 105 shifters. 105 S.I.S. shifters were (almost) always thickly coated with a glittery off-white lacquer. They also had a diagonal cut across the top, not a rounded top. I think you have to come down a notch or two, to RX-100. Fairly cheap-arse, in my opinion...
User avatar
toff
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Between my seatpost and my stem.

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby brentono » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:31 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:
brentono wrote:Since I am well known on this great site, as the subject "faux pas" toff. :oops:
And as we are targetting E-bay odd listing players,
Had to thrown this one in, for it's "faux pas" and the bidding... :shock:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Eimei-NJS-Track- ... dZViewItem
A Perth Lad, so I had to put a watch on this one, got a smile out of it, and
had to see where it goes... :)
You gotta laugh, sometimes.
Or is it just me? :?
Cheers,
BrentonO


Whats strange about this listing? It's a handbuilt Japanese track frame. It went cheap. There's one here: http://njs-keirin.blogspot.com/2008/08/eimei-red.html for $720(USD).

I'm assuming it went cheap because of the size.


V&N,
You must be trying to take-the-piss, you giving me an example doesn't mean it sold. :?:
And the E-bay bike, take a look at the bids :shock: (doubt whether any money changed hands)
... to me it would have to be one of the most staged sales I've seen. :lol:
V&N.... Wake up, mate :evil:
Or just go back to sleep... :mrgreen:
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
User avatar
brentono
 
Posts: 3667
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Perth DubyaEh.

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 am

brentono wrote:
Verbs & Nouns wrote:
brentono wrote:Since I am well known on this great site, as the subject "faux pas" toff. :oops:
And as we are targetting E-bay odd listing players,
Had to thrown this one in, for it's "faux pas" and the bidding... :shock:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Eimei-NJS-Track- ... dZViewItem
A Perth Lad, so I had to put a watch on this one, got a smile out of it, and
had to see where it goes... :)
You gotta laugh, sometimes.
Or is it just me? :?
Cheers,
BrentonO


Whats strange about this listing? It's a handbuilt Japanese track frame. It went cheap. There's one here: http://njs-keirin.blogspot.com/2008/08/eimei-red.html for $720(USD).

I'm assuming it went cheap because of the size.


V&N,
You must be trying to take-the-piss, you giving me an example doesn't mean it sold. :?:
And the E-bay bike, take a look at the bids :shock: (doubt whether any money changed hands)
... to me it would have to be one of the most staged sales I've seen. :lol:

BrentonO


Granted, I didn't look at the bid names (and yes, it did look a bit dodgy) but you have to realise that Keirin NJS track frames are pretty sought after.

The example I gave you is that Eimei frames usually go for a lot more than $570, dodgy bidding or no dodgy bidding.

And this?

V&N.... Wake up, mate :evil:
Or just go back to sleep... :mrgreen:


I have no idea what your implying. Seriously, send me a PM (minus the smiley's) and let me know. I'm intrigued.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?
User avatar
Verbs & Nouns
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Australia, South

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby brentono » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:18 pm

You got your PM, mate.
Take a bike ride.
Relax and smell the flowers.

Granted, I didn't look at the bid names (and yes, it did look a bit dodgy)


You said it, and you woke up, no worries. :wink:

Cheers,
BrentonO :D
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
User avatar
brentono
 
Posts: 3667
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Perth DubyaEh.

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:20 pm

toff wrote:Not 105 shifters. 105 S.I.S. shifters were (almost) always thickly coated with a glittery off-white lacquer. They also had a diagonal cut across the top, not a rounded top. I think you have to come down a notch or two, to RX-100. Fairly cheap-arse, in my opinion...

These 105 shifters are rounded: http://velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=200c07c4-4b7e-4857-8903-dc6df79f0a18&Enum=104
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 pm

bridgethegap71 wrote:rkelsen, always quick to respond on this topic!

Hey BTG71, I hope my posts don't offend you. If that is the case, then I probably should keep my opinion about this to myself.

For some background: I ride a retro steelie every day. Pics here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21141

... but my bike is made from better materials than gas pipe, has brakes that actually work and weighs less than 20kg. 8)
bridgethegap71 wrote:How about, we turn up to the next retro bike meet and I'll give you a ride on one?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Melbourne.
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bridgethegap71 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 pm

rkelsen wrote:
bridgethegap71 wrote:rkelsen, always quick to respond on this topic!

Hey BTG71, I hope my posts don't offend you. If that is the case, then I probably should keep my opinion about this to myself.

For some background: I ride a retro steelie every day. Pics here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21141

... but my bike is made from better materials than gas pipe, has brakes that actually work and weighs less than 20kg. 8)
bridgethegap71 wrote:How about, we turn up to the next retro bike meet and I'll give you a ride on one?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Melbourne.


Mate as long as your opinions don't get personal, I'm ok - even if it's wrong and I don't agree with you. :wink: Your Shogun is not "gaspipe" but it's not a top end lightweight racer either and some people (girls) may not like that top tube or style -not everybody cares about weight either but our ladies bikes ARE under 20kgs. As for the look of your red beast as long as you like it that's all that matters..

The brakes on OUR ladies bikes work really well; & you haven't ridden one so I don't see how you can comment :roll: - Retro ladies bikes were built up with a variety of calliper brake models some are Weinmann, Dia-compe, Shimano Tourney, - all good in my opinion.
Whilst there are some amazing bike mechanics in Melbourne, there are just as many sellers down there who have no idea what they're doing, so no wonder you have a poor opinion of ladies bikes! There must be quite a few around Brunswick that have access to "ceres" ? Anyway see here ebay item no: 120527831242 check out the dangling chain off rear wheel axle, and I can't see how those rear brakes work at all"! :roll: The seller thinks that this bike http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Ladies-Bike-NATIONAL-SPORT-1000-10-Spd-BLACK_W0QQitemZ120525378592QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes?hash=item1c0fdf5420 is ok to ride with those forks! At $325 a real bargain - not.
Another seller in Melbourne specialises in ladies bikes - they often sell 10 speed frames as single speeds with a double chainring at the front and so only one chainring is in operation (kinda dodgy) and there are no front derailleurs - all wrong - so I can understand why you have a misguided opinion of Ladies bikes, think it depends on whose fixing them mate..

Lets just agree to disagree.
User avatar
bridgethegap71
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Thornleigh, SYDNEY, NSW, AUSTRALIA

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby RobertFrith » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 pm

bridgethegap71 wrote:Do you own Nikes? or are you a Dunlop man? Both are comfortable, but one style looks much better than the other :wink:

Dunlops right? I just bought my first pair of Volleys. Volleys are the biz, I sense imminent coolness.

OK, back on topic, someone has a buy it now price of $300 on a ladies Repco Traveller on fleabay at the mo'!
Image
User avatar
RobertFrith
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Perth

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby toff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:35 pm


Yep. They are, and I rode with a pair of those for a decade or so. They are not the ones mounted on the bike in question though.
User avatar
toff
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Between my seatpost and my stem.

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 pm

bridgethegap71 wrote:The brakes on OUR ladies bikes work really well; & you haven't ridden one so I don't see how you can comment :roll: - Retro ladies bikes were built up with a variety of calliper brake models some are Weinmann, Dia-compe, Shimano Tourney, - all good in my opinion.

Good for their time, but brakes have come a long way since 1985. While I'm sure you restore & adjust them to original functionality, at the end of the day they're still single-pivot long reach calipers. You can't compare them to a modern dual pivot caliper or V brake.
bridgethegap71 wrote:Whilst there are some amazing bike mechanics in Melbourne, there are just as many sellers down there who have no idea what they're doing, so no wonder you have a poor opinion of ladies bikes!

I don't have a poor opinion of retro ladies bikes themselves. In fact, when I see one (especially a dirty & well used one), I automatically consider the rider to be worthy of much respect.

It's the stupid money that they go for that continues to astound me. Especially when one considers what else can be bought for the same (or less) money. Indexed gears, better brakes, alloy wheels (in current sizing), lightweight frames, sealed cartridge bearings, stainless steel spokes. All of this can be had for under $500 these days.

Don't get me wrong. I've probably spent more than I should have getting my bike to where it is. But if I wanted to buy an equivalent bike brand new it'd cost me 3 times as much.
bridgethegap71 wrote:There must be quite a few around Brunswick that have access to "ceres" ?

Not a fair comparison. Ceres almost give their bikes away. Pocket lint will get you a bike from there.
bridgethegap71 wrote:so I can understand why you have a misguided opinion of Ladies bikes, think it depends on whose fixing them mate..

Hey, I'm not trying to demean you or your work. I think that you are a very clever business person, fortunate enough to have a loyal customer base. I hope to emulate your success one day.
bridgethegap71 wrote:Lets just agree to disagree.

Indeed. :)
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bridgethegap71 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 pm

rkelsen wrote:
rkelsen wrote:Hey, I'm not trying to demean you or your work. I think that you are a very clever business person, fortunate enough to have a loyal customer base. I hope to emulate your success one day.


Mate if being clever at business and having loyal customers was all it took to restore and sell these ladies bikes, life would be very easy - it takes SO much more than that, ask anyone that's done a full strip, sandblast, powdercoat & rebuild - quite fun doing one or two, but repeat it 7 days a week, every week, all year - it's hard yakka. Oh and being good on the tools may help things along too :roll:
User avatar
bridgethegap71
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Thornleigh, SYDNEY, NSW, AUSTRALIA

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby cludence » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:37 pm

.....Not to mention females are notoriously fussy when it comes to purchases. Must drive you crazy!

Karen.
cludence
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:49 am
Location: Sydney

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:23 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
bridgethegap71 wrote:Do you own Nikes? or are you a Dunlop man? Both are comfortable, but one style looks much better than the other :wink:

Dunlops right? I just bought my first pair of Volleys. Volleys are the biz, I sense imminent coolness.


Welcome to the club 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25270
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby brentono » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:31 am

cludence wrote:.....Not to mention females are notoriously fussy when it comes to purchases. Must drive you crazy!

Karen.


+1
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
User avatar
brentono
 
Posts: 3667
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Perth DubyaEh.

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bridgethegap71 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 am

brentono wrote:
cludence wrote:.....Not to mention females are notoriously fussy when it comes to purchases. Must drive you crazy!

Karen.


+1


+++++1
User avatar
bridgethegap71
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Thornleigh, SYDNEY, NSW, AUSTRALIA

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 am

Mulger bill wrote:
RobertFrith wrote:
bridgethegap71 wrote:Do you own Nikes? or are you a Dunlop man? Both are comfortable, but one style looks much better than the other :wink:

Dunlops right? I just bought my first pair of Volleys. Volleys are the biz, I sense imminent coolness.


Welcome to the club 8)


I noticed a rather colourful pair of Volleys at GLW's work the other day, thought they might be good for a bit of fun. Until GLW explained to me they were ladies volleys. I didn't even know there was a differentiation. :oops:

Volleys are almost the perfect shoe. The only thing I have ever seen that beats them is a pair of reef sandals/thongs. They have a bottle opener moulded into the base. I nearly shed a tear of joy when I first saw a mate slip off his thong and use it to open his beer. :lol:

In the interests of remaining on topic, +1 lots to above being married to an extremely fussy purchaser. Kudos to those who use eBay to their advantage, wish I had the time/dedication to do the same. Doesnt change my opinion that come buyers on eBay would be well served to do some research before spending their hard earned, but if they are happy then who cares I s'pose :).
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5646
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bridgethegap71 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Actually meant those ugly tractor tread volley's of the 80's, the ones that Ned Flanders would wear!

Not the cool new models! LOL :oops:
User avatar
bridgethegap71
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Thornleigh, SYDNEY, NSW, AUSTRALIA

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grantw, Johnj, Kermit TF



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist