eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 pm

I know I need to go to bed when I start sending passive aggressive messages to eBay sellers who have turned really nice bikes into crap fixies.
Suntour ARX stuff in the bin, colourful flip flop wheel on, one crap brake incorrectly fitted, and bam, she's ready for eBay.
LugNut

by BNA » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 pm

BNA

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Go to bed.

I would, but I'm busy reading this. Worthy of it's own thread? Is there one already?
WestcoastPete

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:37 am

ldrcycles wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Its not every day you see a roadie with grip shifts!

I am now curious as to how the grip shifts got past the bend in the bars & am scared that it might have involved cutting :shock:

I'm seeing some sort of shim/spacer thing on the inside of the left shifter, don't know what it is but it looks weird. Danger will robinson!

And on the Bertin above, i'm really glad to find out it is "not restaurated" :lol: . Destroys the value dontcha know.

This model Giant had special handlebars to accommodate the Gripshift. The middle part of the bar went into the stem, then the shifters and outside parts of the handlebars clamped into the middle part, using something akin to a seat clamp. I worked on them way back, cant remember any problems with them, except for the fact that I didnt like the design of Gripshift shifters anyway.
Warren
bicyclepassion

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Vintage Campagnolo Cinelli Laser Track Tandem
not cheap and the pickup only will deter many
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Postby barefoot » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Vintage Campagnolo Cinelli Laser Track Tandem

The price to ship a tandem would probably defer many more!

Might be cheaper to fly to Italy, pick up in person and accompanied-baggage it home.

Can you do mad skidz on a fixie tandem?

tim
barefoot

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:12 pm

barefoot wrote:
Clydesdale Scot wrote:Vintage Campagnolo Cinelli Laser Track Tandem

The price to ship a tandem would probably defer many more!

Might be cheaper to fly to Italy, pick up in person and accompanied-baggage it home.

Can you do mad skidz on a fixie tandem?

tim

I think you could do some truly epic mad skidz on a fixie tandem but you might not survive the beating from your stoker afterwards.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby retrorepco » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:53 am

Yeh stock speedometer :P
Annoying how people call this a 'racer' lol its like calling a toyota prius a sports car.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Mens ... 954&_uhb=1
retrorepco

Postby barefoot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:14 am

retrorepco wrote:Yeh stock speedometer :P
Annoying how people call this a 'racer' lol its like calling a toyota prius a sports car.

Are that genuine milage, or did he wind the clock back? :lol:

When I was growing up, "racer" meant anything with drop bars. When you were a kid, you had a BMX (or a dragster, but they were a bit old-school and my mate struggled with his converted dragster's low BB when riding in the bush), then when you got too big for it, you got a racer. Or if you were really lucky and your parents were loaded, you might get one of these newfangled mountain bike things instead.

It's only recently that I've managed to break Mrs Barefoot's habit of referring to road bikes as "racers". Having only ever ridden them for a couple of minutes as a teenager, she's always had a paranoid fear of riding "racer" bars, thinking that they'd be uncomfortable and/or hard to control. After convincing her to try my road bike [1], I've now been given permission to put my old roadie back together for her to ride, so I think I'm making progress...

tim

[1] by a strange freak of geometry, despite being about 6" different in height, we seem to work okay on the same size bikes. With my long back and short arms, I need very high and close bars, even for an aggressive flat position. Drop the saddle very slightly (the difference in height is almost all in the torso), and the same bike is almost perfectly set up in a more relaxed upright position for her. We've also standardised on the same driving position in the car... just a tweak of the mirror to account for my eyes being so much higher than hers.
barefoot

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:29 am

Weird foam padding on the bars, is that how people used to do it? Just on the lowers?

People must be looking to buy last minute for Round the Bay in a day, had heaps of inquries from everyone wanting to buy my Repco right now (even had a guy text me at 00:30hrs wanting to buy), but don't read the description and realise it's a small frame, then they don't want it.... lol.
FuzzyDropbear

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Vintage Lugged Carbon Mongoose running 6400. Never seen one of these before
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/normanhu ... 1029984219

Cheap Apollo Tri Bike(650c) with some 4 spoke carbon Spinergy wheels too.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tyalgum/ ... 1029972740
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Oh fairdinkum, that Apollo tri is located in central woop woop, otherwise it would have been in my shed....that mongoose is also the ducks guts. Good finds Quang 8)
When in doubt......mumble.
Kermit TF

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:32 pm

There must be a cunning plan involved in attaching a derailler hanger to a derailler hanger!

FuzzyDropbear wrote:
People must be looking to buy last minute for Round the Bay in a day, had heaps of inquries from everyone wanting to buy my Repco right now (even had a guy text me at 00:30hrs wanting to buy), but don't read the description and realise it's a small frame, then they don't want it.... lol.

It was ever thus. Lots of folk get told by well-meaning friends that they 'must' have a road bike for RTB regardless of quality. I had a bloke come into the shop with a 70's 10 speed (steel rims and all) asking how much it would be to do it up because his mates told him that it'd be better. His regular bike, that he'd been doing lots of miles on was a very nice hard tail MTB. I convinced him that his money would be much better spent on some 1.5" road tyres and to ride the bike that he was comfortable with. He came back afterwards to thank me.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby Rob74 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Touring Build starter
Pity these XL ones don't come up this way..useful as a loaded commuter conversion

Anyone built up one of these Leader Road?
or these....Leader Track

Twin down tubes?
OLMO
Double top tubes - Tange Prestige
Says 65cm Noice & Classic!
CONTINI MONTE
Eddy Merckx Strada

Always wanted one of these....Shogun Team Issue…did they come in a 62cm? or was 60cm the biggest, anyone in Melbourne able to have a look at this for me...it says 23km east of CBD?

Rob
Rob74

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:04 am

With a right up like this why buy new? http://goo.gl/8EM2Nn Other than to save $100!

Collection of of Steel Bikes in BNE http://goo.gl/hGsANc
Wakatuki

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Wakatuki wrote:With a right up like this why buy new? http://goo.gl/8EM2Nn Other than to save $100!

Collection of of Steel Bikes in BNE http://goo.gl/hGsANc

Don't yer wish they could do something more'n copypasta direct from the makers site? *sigh*
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby WestcoastPete » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:14 pm

This fella is selling a bunch of cool old MTB stuff. The Trek Mountain 800 was my first MTB, the Cadex CFM 3 (which didn't sell and I expect will be relisted) was my second, and my best mate had a Proflex.

Sweet gear!
WestcoastPete

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:52 am

WestcoastPete wrote:This fella is selling a bunch of cool old MTB stuff. The Trek Mountain 800 was my first MTB, the Cadex CFM 3 (which didn't sell and I expect will be relisted) was my second, and my best mate had a Proflex.

Sweet gear!

I had an Apollo Comp like that one a year or two back, that's the only other one I've seen, I reckon they could be rarer than the Proflex!
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby utedeej » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:06 am

ldrcycles wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:This fella is selling a bunch of cool old MTB stuff. The Trek Mountain 800 was my first MTB, the Cadex CFM 3 (which didn't sell and I expect will be relisted) was my second, and my best mate had a Proflex.

Sweet gear!

I had an Apollo Comp like that one a year or two back, that's the only other one I've seen, I reckon they could be rarer than the Proflex!

I always dreamed of having a Nishiki Alien in white, which I think was the predecessor of that Apollo. Still looking, might get there one day.
utedeej

Postby barefoot » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:39 am

utedeej wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:

Sweet gear!

I always dreamed of having a Nishiki Alien in white, which I think was the predecessor of that Apollo. Still looking, might get there one day.

I don't care much for the Proflex frame and build kit, but one day I'm going to have a linkage fork...
barefoot

Postby LugNut » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:25 pm

This is the sort of thing that really ticks me off.
Bridgestone with full Cyclone. Well. It had full cyclone. The seller's right, not many Bridgestones did make it to Australia, and even fewer survived the fixie invasion...
LugNut

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:40 pm

What did he do to the front brake barrel adjuster? It wouldve been once a nice bike. But at lteast it still looks like it has not been butchered up.

Anyway, someone want a cheap Columbus frame(at least thats what I think)? MBK Super Record with Sachs Hurret gear. $150 with a Miyata, or you prob can go $75 for the one.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-mac ... 1030120466
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby bakabill » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm

bakabill

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Wakatuki

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:46 am

It looks to me like the forks are twisted too - you can look straight along/across the top of the bars but also see the left fork leg.
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 am

bakabill wrote:http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blacktown/bicycles/triathlon-road-bike-for-sale-/1030213042

neat little peter bundy

"Little" being the operative word there. That's a clown bike. :lol:
rkelsen

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking