eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby cray- » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 pm

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!1111 muahahahahaha raises pinky to mouth.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cairns-a ... 1030634678
Sorry. (not sorry)

Also, I hate these damned things:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/loganhol ... 1029776250
My Repco brethren will understand why.

And how the heck did this Proflex posted a few days back only go for $300??????
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Proflex-656- ... true&rt=nc
cray-

by BNA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:38 pm

BNA

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:38 pm

cray- wrote:And how the heck did this Proflex posted a few days back only go for $300??????
Having no chain must've put people off! :\
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby munga » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:16 pm

cray- wrote:
Also, I hate these damned things:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/loganhol ... 1029776250
My Repco brethren will understand why.

every bloody week..
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby barefoot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:19 pm

cray- wrote:And how the heck did this Proflex posted a few days back only go for $300??????

Gave it some serious thought, but the complications of arranging a pick-up and freight, combined with the D-1 rule, caused me to restrain myself. Very cheap for what it is though.

tim
barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:27 pm

This one at the bottom end of WA is interesting... and looks to be a bargain for the price.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burekup/ ... 1030703507
It's obviously not all there, in terms of authenticity, but there's some interesting parts there...

And since you guys all seem to want farm-gate-sized frames... how about a 64cm 531C custom in Darwin? Looks like he's willing to sell whole or part it out... the no-wheels option could be very good value.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fannie-b ... 1029865907

tim
barefoot

Postby LugNut » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:28 pm

I threw a new chain on the Miyata today, the 600 freewheel looked fine, but it is skipping in 1 cog. No worries, it's a consumable, let me just....Ahhh!!

When did that happen? Last time I bought a freewheel they were at least affordable :( What does everybody here do? Do you ride the old chain and freewheel into the ground, or replace the rear wheel with a 7 speed casette hub, cause, ya know, a whole new wheel is cheaper. :roll:
I want to keep the bike fairly original but I also want to be able to ride the damn thing, and if it's going to cost that much I might as well save some money and ride Campy Record 11 speed...
LugNut

Postby munga » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:52 pm

i reckon since the popularity of ebay, and forum's (fora?) such as this over the last 5 or so years, a lot more people are getting into restoring (or rebuilding) old bikes and consequently snapping up all the cheap stuff. there's only so much of it out there i guess.

eg: try finding a 111mm campag bottom bracket now. a year ago you could buy bottom end veloce from wiggle for $25. now, $100 on ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40

munga

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 pm

The shimano 600 freewheels are nice though. Easy to remove and all the cogs are easily replaced. They sit on a spline like a cassette hub with the small cog acting as a lockring aka Shimano Uniglide.
singlespeedscott

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:06 pm

LugNut wrote:I threw a new chain on the Miyata today, the 600 freewheel looked fine, but it is skipping in 1 cog. No worries, it's a consumable, let me just....Ahhh!!

I know the feeling - one of my europas is out of action at the moment because the big, touring freewheel on it is skipping and the NOS replacement SunTour one is now worth several times what the bike is.

Generally I will buy a modern shimano 7 speed one, but it seems a shame on that particular bike. The 7 speed ones are relatively cheap by comparison to trying to replace like for like.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby metalrideroz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:08 pm

LugNut wrote:I threw a new chain on the Miyata today, the 600 freewheel looked fine, but it is skipping in 1 cog. No worries, it's a consumable, let me just....Ahhh!!

I have the same freewheel on one of my bikes, still life left but have been wondering what to replace it with when I need to. Though not pretty I thought about stocking up on these Sunrace 14-24s, http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sunrace-6-sp ... prod22241/ .
metalrideroz

Postby LugNut » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Hmmph. I guess I can't really complain, I'm probably part of the 'new wave'.
I just discovered that Scott, I think I'll stick it in the shed until a 19t comes up NOS and then I'll rebuild it. It is a nice freewheel.

Looking at new freewheels: I knew that the choice was not hard, Shimano department store junk or Sunrace department store junk.
A bit of googling and I just discovered that IRD have started making a good range of high quality freewheels, they're not cheap, but they're cheaper than NOS, and they look really good! IRD freewheel.
A quick google search pulls up cases of the ratchets failing after a few months of use, seems to be a problem in the earlier ones from a few years ago (Mark I and Mark II). I'm guessing this is solved with the new ones, MIII. I might give one a go.
LugNut

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 pm

LugNut wrote:IRD freewheel.

I rate them.

I'm happy enough with SunRace ones too so far. IRD are finished a bit better though. Dunno which one will last longest.
WestcoastPete

Postby LugNut » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:07 am

Raleigh Ti Team frame, the real deal. In need of some serious love.
LugNut

Postby munga » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 am

not so sure.

munga

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:11 am

All the Sunrace stuff I've used so far has been fine, not premium quality but no issues with function by any means. They own Sturmey Archer now after all and the quality of those products is supposed to have actually gone up since.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:55 am

Yeah, it's a NOS part of a premium groupset from 30 years ago. Dunno what you expected.

Regardless, here's one that's 50 bucks cheaper: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Shimano-600-EX-13-23-MF-6208-6-spd-Freewheel-/130867700055?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e7852a157#ht_2454wt_1400, but it's OEM so you don't get the box. Still NOS.
LugNut wrote:What does everybody here do?

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I'd upgrade to a cassette hub. Replacement parts are cheaper and easier to find, and you'll find it easier to mix'n'match... especially with your friction downtube shifters. Eg: You can leave one of the loose sprockets off an 8 speed cassette to make it a 7 speed. (In case you're wondering why anyone would want to do this, it is because 7 speed cassettes are becoming harder to find, and you can buy a decent 8 speed cassette [eg: SRam PG850] for $22 from Wiggle.)
rkelsen

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:43 am

I must admit I buy all my Shimano Six and Seven speed freewheels from Anaconda (outdoor store) these days. Pretty good prices (between $20 and $35 - varies for no obvious reason) and the new Shimano freewheel design is very good. The wide range versions have stood up to a couple of loaded tours and the changing has been immaculate both with brifters (the wife) and friction (me). Not a lot of choice on the ranges tho' all biased toward town bikes and touring, 13-26 was the smallest range I found so if you are after a racing block maybe not the answer.
Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Postby LugNut » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:33 pm

rkelsen wrote:

Yeah, it's a NOS part of a premium groupset from 30 years ago. Dunno what you expected.

Regardless, here's one that's 50 bucks cheaper: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Shimano-600-EX-13-23-MF-6208-6-spd-Freewheel-/130867700055?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e7852a157#ht_2454wt_1400, but it's OEM so you don't get the box. Still NOS.
LugNut wrote:What does everybody here do?

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I'd upgrade to a cassette hub. Replacement parts are cheaper and easier to find, and you'll find it easier to mix'n'match... especially with your friction downtube shifters. Eg: You can leave one of the loose sprockets off an 8 speed cassette to make it a 7 speed. (In case you're wondering why anyone would want to do this, it is because 7 speed cassettes are becoming harder to find, and you can buy a decent 8 speed cassette [eg: SRam PG850] for $22 from Wiggle.)

Ahh I'm just grouching. Like who in their right mind would pay that sort of money for plain-jane 600EX. It's hardly the sort of group set you'd chuck on your vintage weekender - It's boring looking but functional, common as dirt on mid level Japanese roadies, but doesn't come near Nuovo Record, Super Record, Superbe Pro, Superbe, early Cyclone, Dura Ace EX & (and I guess..) AX, 7400.
The last freewheel I bought NOS was a New Winner, meant to be one of the best ever made, usually matched with Cyclone and up. Still easily found for $40-$60. NOS New Winner Suntour New Winner

You can even get a NOS 8 Speed Campy Record cassette for $66! Campy Record - the poor mans Shimano 600

Grumble grumble grumble. I'm happy to have found the IRD. I might start stocking up on nice 7 speed cassettes before they start going up in... Ahh damn.
LugNut

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I've done the stock up of silver 7 speed Shimano cassettes. I've managed to get a few 13-34's and 12-28's for the roadies and the MTB's.
singlespeedscott

Postby fletch62 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 pm

munga wrote:eg: try finding a 111mm campag bottom bracket now. a year ago you could buy bottom end veloce from wiggle for $25. now, $100 on ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40

Got one in 111mm if you want it, PM me. Came out of a Merckx.
fletch62

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49 am

When in doubt......mumble.
Kermit TF

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 am

Kermit TF wrote:Crusty Colnago in Balarat..cheap.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Old-colnago- ... 824&_uhb=1

fakenago for sure!

I noticed this atrocity this morning. Was likely nice in its day.
grantw

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 am

grantw wrote:I noticed this atrocity this morning. Was likely nice in its day.

Ooo... I would give you a running bet that is a 70's Holdsworth or maybe a Carlton except... the frame number is a bit weird...Well, I reckon it's British anyway, possibly out of the Holdsworth factory but sold under another brand?
Whatever, I'd buy it if it was a bit closer (and smaller), almost worth the price for the bits and it should clean up real nice when blasted clean of that paint and rust.
Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:46 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Ooo... I would give you a running bet that is a 70's Holdsworth or maybe a Carlton except... the frame number is a bit weird...Well, I reckon it's British anyway, possibly out of the Holdsworth factory but sold under another brand?
Whatever, I'd buy it if it was a bit closer (and smaller), almost worth the price for the bits and it should clean up real nice when blasted clean of that paint and rust.
Cheers
Richard

Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(
grantw

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:56 am

grantw wrote:
WyvernRH wrote:
Cheers
Richard

Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(

It's got the derailleur that fits in the dropout slot with a 2nd screw, which together with the dynamo mount makes it unlikely to have had good tubing used. With Gipiemme, 3ttt, 600, SR, Suntour etc visible it's been a frankenbike build at best. And is it just the angle or are those forks bent a bit back about halfway between crown & dropouts? The wheel seems close-ish to the down tube.
Last edited by wqlava1 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking