eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

LugNut

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 pm

I threw a new chain on the Miyata today, the 600 freewheel looked fine, but it is skipping in 1 cog. No worries, it's a consumable, let me just....Ahhh!!

When did that happen? Last time I bought a freewheel they were at least affordable :( What does everybody here do? Do you ride the old chain and freewheel into the ground, or replace the rear wheel with a 7 speed casette hub, cause, ya know, a whole new wheel is cheaper. :roll:
I want to keep the bike fairly original but I also want to be able to ride the damn thing, and if it's going to cost that much I might as well save some money and ride Campy Record 11 speed...

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 pm

i reckon since the popularity of ebay, and forum's (fora?) such as this over the last 5 or so years, a lot more people are getting into restoring (or rebuilding) old bikes and consequently snapping up all the cheap stuff. there's only so much of it out there i guess.

eg: try finding a 111mm campag bottom bracket now. a year ago you could buy bottom end veloce from wiggle for $25. now, $100 on ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:57 pm

The shimano 600 freewheels are nice though. Easy to remove and all the cogs are easily replaced. They sit on a spline like a cassette hub with the small cog acting as a lockring aka Shimano Uniglide.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:06 pm

LugNut wrote:I threw a new chain on the Miyata today, the 600 freewheel looked fine, but it is skipping in 1 cog. No worries, it's a consumable, let me just....Ahhh!!
I know the feeling - one of my europas is out of action at the moment because the big, touring freewheel on it is skipping and the NOS replacement SunTour one is now worth several times what the bike is.

Generally I will buy a modern shimano 7 speed one, but it seems a shame on that particular bike. The 7 speed ones are relatively cheap by comparison to trying to replace like for like.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 pm

LugNut wrote:I threw a new chain on the Miyata today, the 600 freewheel looked fine, but it is skipping in 1 cog. No worries, it's a consumable, let me just....Ahhh!!
I have the same freewheel on one of my bikes, still life left but have been wondering what to replace it with when I need to. Though not pretty I thought about stocking up on these Sunrace 14-24s, http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sunrace-6-sp ... prod22241/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Hmmph. I guess I can't really complain, I'm probably part of the 'new wave'.
I just discovered that Scott, I think I'll stick it in the shed until a 19t comes up NOS and then I'll rebuild it. It is a nice freewheel.

Looking at new freewheels: I knew that the choice was not hard, Shimano department store junk or Sunrace department store junk.
A bit of googling and I just discovered that IRD have started making a good range of high quality freewheels, they're not cheap, but they're cheaper than NOS, and they look really good! IRD freewheel.
A quick google search pulls up cases of the ratchets failing after a few months of use, seems to be a problem in the earlier ones from a few years ago (Mark I and Mark II). I'm guessing this is solved with the new ones, MIII. I might give one a go.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:29 am

LugNut wrote:IRD freewheel.
I rate them.

I'm happy enough with SunRace ones too so far. IRD are finished a bit better though. Dunno which one will last longest.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:07 am

Raleigh Ti Team frame, the real deal. In need of some serious love.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:22 am

not so sure.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:11 am

All the Sunrace stuff I've used so far has been fine, not premium quality but no issues with function by any means. They own Sturmey Archer now after all and the quality of those products is supposed to have actually gone up since.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 am

Yeah, it's a NOS part of a premium groupset from 30 years ago. Dunno what you expected.

Regardless, here's one that's 50 bucks cheaper: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Shimano- ... 454wt_1400, but it's OEM so you don't get the box. Still NOS.
LugNut wrote:What does everybody here do?
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I'd upgrade to a cassette hub. Replacement parts are cheaper and easier to find, and you'll find it easier to mix'n'match... especially with your friction downtube shifters. Eg: You can leave one of the loose sprockets off an 8 speed cassette to make it a 7 speed. (In case you're wondering why anyone would want to do this, it is because 7 speed cassettes are becoming harder to find, and you can buy a decent 8 speed cassette [eg: SRam PG850] for $22 from Wiggle.)

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:43 am

I must admit I buy all my Shimano Six and Seven speed freewheels from Anaconda (outdoor store) these days. Pretty good prices (between $20 and $35 - varies for no obvious reason) and the new Shimano freewheel design is very good. The wide range versions have stood up to a couple of loaded tours and the changing has been immaculate both with brifters (the wife) and friction (me). Not a lot of choice on the ranges tho' all biased toward town bikes and touring, 13-26 was the smallest range I found so if you are after a racing block maybe not the answer.
Cheers
Richard

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:33 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Yeah, it's a NOS part of a premium groupset from 30 years ago. Dunno what you expected.

Regardless, here's one that's 50 bucks cheaper: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Shimano- ... 454wt_1400, but it's OEM so you don't get the box. Still NOS.
LugNut wrote:What does everybody here do?
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I'd upgrade to a cassette hub. Replacement parts are cheaper and easier to find, and you'll find it easier to mix'n'match... especially with your friction downtube shifters. Eg: You can leave one of the loose sprockets off an 8 speed cassette to make it a 7 speed. (In case you're wondering why anyone would want to do this, it is because 7 speed cassettes are becoming harder to find, and you can buy a decent 8 speed cassette [eg: SRam PG850] for $22 from Wiggle.)
Ahh I'm just grouching. Like who in their right mind would pay that sort of money for plain-jane 600EX. It's hardly the sort of group set you'd chuck on your vintage weekender - It's boring looking but functional, common as dirt on mid level Japanese roadies, but doesn't come near Nuovo Record, Super Record, Superbe Pro, Superbe, early Cyclone, Dura Ace EX & (and I guess..) AX, 7400.
The last freewheel I bought NOS was a New Winner, meant to be one of the best ever made, usually matched with Cyclone and up. Still easily found for $40-$60. NOS New Winner Suntour New Winner

You can even get a NOS 8 Speed Campy Record cassette for $66! Campy Record - the poor mans Shimano 600

Grumble grumble grumble. I'm happy to have found the IRD. I might start stocking up on nice 7 speed cassettes before they start going up in... Ahh damn.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:05 pm

I've done the stock up of silver 7 speed Shimano cassettes. I've managed to get a few 13-34's and 12-28's for the roadies and the MTB's.

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:46 pm

munga wrote:eg: try finding a 111mm campag bottom bracket now. a year ago you could buy bottom end veloce from wiggle for $25. now, $100 on ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got one in 111mm if you want it, PM me. Came out of a Merckx.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:49 am

Crusty Colnago in Balarat..cheap.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Old-colnago- ... 824&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When in doubt......mumble.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 am

Kermit TF wrote:Crusty Colnago in Balarat..cheap.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Old-colnago- ... 824&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fakenago for sure!

I noticed this atrocity this morning. Was likely nice in its day.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 am

grantw wrote:I noticed this atrocity this morning. Was likely nice in its day.
Ooo... I would give you a running bet that is a 70's Holdsworth or maybe a Carlton except... the frame number is a bit weird...Well, I reckon it's British anyway, possibly out of the Holdsworth factory but sold under another brand?
Whatever, I'd buy it if it was a bit closer (and smaller), almost worth the price for the bits and it should clean up real nice when blasted clean of that paint and rust.
Cheers
Richard

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:46 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Ooo... I would give you a running bet that is a 70's Holdsworth or maybe a Carlton except... the frame number is a bit weird...Well, I reckon it's British anyway, possibly out of the Holdsworth factory but sold under another brand?
Whatever, I'd buy it if it was a bit closer (and smaller), almost worth the price for the bits and it should clean up real nice when blasted clean of that paint and rust.
Cheers
Richard
Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 pm

grantw wrote:
WyvernRH wrote:
Cheers
Richard
Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(
It's got the derailleur that fits in the dropout slot with a 2nd screw, which together with the dynamo mount makes it unlikely to have had good tubing used. With Gipiemme, 3ttt, 600, SR, Suntour etc visible it's been a frankenbike build at best. And is it just the angle or are those forks bent a bit back about halfway between crown & dropouts? The wheel seems close-ish to the down tube.
Last edited by wqlava1 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:01 pm

grantw wrote: I noticed this atrocity this morning. Was likely nice in its day.
Nothing wrong with that. Classic 70's Aus/Brit bike.

Odds are the tubing is Reynolds. No body builds with Campagnolo tips and uses crap tubing. Clearances and mounts for mudguards. Lamp mount on the fork. Nice steep race bike angles. Fork looks fine to me.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Peugeot Touring Bike
I'm in love..... http://goo.gl/hLzCQj
No room, time or permission; my Raleigh really out to go to a home in which it will be used :(

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:23 pm

grantw wrote:Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(
Well, most British bikes, especially production models, did not have built in gear hangers at this time. It allowed you to fit the derailleur of your choice with a bolt-on hanger (remember Simplex and some Huret derailleurs required specific hangers) or a hub gear or nothing at all. They are Campag dropouts after all. It has bidon braze-ons and a cast fork crown, neither common at the time.
Also remember the concept of 'groupsets' and having all the parts the same is a really recent concept pushed along Shimano and Suntour. Most people fitted what they could afford. Even if you bought a production Carlton, Holdsworth, whatever until you got to the top of the range you would get a mixture of parts scaled to fit the price point.
This bike has mainly good parts from second rank manufacturers like Gian Robert. Nothing wrong with them, just not trendy like those from the 'C' people. This would allow more money to be spent on the frame so I would think it is probably decent tubing even if it is not 531, lots of other firms made good chrome moly tubing in the UK at this point in time let alone the continental stuff.
By wqlava's measure almost every bike in my collection would be a 'frankenbike'

Cheers
Richard

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Hmm, I see. I've not noticed campy dropouts without a hanger previously but I guess there's a first time for everything :-), I had assumed it had been chopped off. I can see that there's also no der cable brazeon on the chain stay either so that would make sense.

The wraparound seat stay looks quite nice.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Peugeot Touring Bike
I'm in love..... http://goo.gl/hLzCQj
No room, time or permission; my Raleigh really out to go to a home in which it will be used :(
How does that old saying go, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission"? :)

But I wouldn't anyway, I had a similar frame a while back and wasn't overly impressed with it, and I have an identical pair of Normandy hubs on the desk next to me and even with perfect adjustment they're rough as guts.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia