eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:01 pm

grantw wrote:I noticed this atrocity this morning. Was likely nice in its day.


Nothing wrong with that. Classic 70's Aus/Brit bike.

Odds are the tubing is Reynolds. No body builds with Campagnolo tips and uses crap tubing. Clearances and mounts for mudguards. Lamp mount on the fork. Nice steep race bike angles. Fork looks fine to me.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

by BNA » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:13 pm

BNA
 

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Peugeot Touring Bike
I'm in love..... http://goo.gl/hLzCQj
No room, time or permission; my Raleigh really out to go to a home in which it will be used :(
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:23 pm

grantw wrote:Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(


Well, most British bikes, especially production models, did not have built in gear hangers at this time. It allowed you to fit the derailleur of your choice with a bolt-on hanger (remember Simplex and some Huret derailleurs required specific hangers) or a hub gear or nothing at all. They are Campag dropouts after all. It has bidon braze-ons and a cast fork crown, neither common at the time.
Also remember the concept of 'groupsets' and having all the parts the same is a really recent concept pushed along Shimano and Suntour. Most people fitted what they could afford. Even if you bought a production Carlton, Holdsworth, whatever until you got to the top of the range you would get a mixture of parts scaled to fit the price point.
This bike has mainly good parts from second rank manufacturers like Gian Robert. Nothing wrong with them, just not trendy like those from the 'C' people. This would allow more money to be spent on the frame so I would think it is probably decent tubing even if it is not 531, lots of other firms made good chrome moly tubing in the UK at this point in time let alone the continental stuff.
By wqlava's measure almost every bike in my collection would be a 'frankenbike'

Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Hmm, I see. I've not noticed campy dropouts without a hanger previously but I guess there's a first time for everything :-), I had assumed it had been chopped off. I can see that there's also no der cable brazeon on the chain stay either so that would make sense.

The wraparound seat stay looks quite nice.
Image
User avatar
grantw
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Wollongong

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:36 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Peugeot Touring Bike
I'm in love..... http://goo.gl/hLzCQj
No room, time or permission; my Raleigh really out to go to a home in which it will be used :(


How does that old saying go, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission"? :)

But I wouldn't anyway, I had a similar frame a while back and wasn't overly impressed with it, and I have an identical pair of Normandy hubs on the desk next to me and even with perfect adjustment they're rough as guts.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:02 pm

Old mate victa98 at it again: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321232685272 ... 1423.l2649

Pulled with a few hours left cause nobody had bid. He [img]does[/img] know how ebay functions in reality, doesn't he? Or is he getting offers and avoiding fees?

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5033
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:55 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
grantw wrote:Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(


Well, most British bikes, especially production models, did not have built in gear hangers at this time. It allowed you to fit the derailleur of your choice with a bolt-on hanger (remember Simplex and some Huret derailleurs required specific hangers) or a hub gear or nothing at all. They are Campag dropouts after all. It has bidon braze-ons and a cast fork crown, neither common at the time.
Also remember the concept of 'groupsets' and having all the parts the same is a really recent concept pushed along Shimano and Suntour. Most people fitted what they could afford. Even if you bought a production Carlton, Holdsworth, whatever until you got to the top of the range you would get a mixture of parts scaled to fit the price point.
This bike has mainly good parts from second rank manufacturers like Gian Robert. Nothing wrong with them, just not trendy like those from the 'C' people. This would allow more money to be spent on the frame so I would think it is probably decent tubing even if it is not 531, lots of other firms made good chrome moly tubing in the UK at this point in time let alone the continental stuff.
By wqlava's measure almost every bike in my collection would be a 'frankenbike'

Cheers
Richard


+1. Was going to pipe in and say that my late 70s Dawes Super Galaxy has the same light mounting bracket on the fork and no derailleur hanger, the Suntour Cyclone RD is attached to a 'claw' hanger that bolts onto the forged dropout. It was the top end production touring bike from Dawes at the time and is made from Reynolds 531 tubing. I actually prefer it anyway, it's replaceable!
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:00 pm

LugNut wrote:
WyvernRH wrote:
grantw wrote:Yes, I was thinking the same until I noticed the missing derailleur hanger :-(


Well, most British bikes, especially production models, did not have built in gear hangers at this time. It allowed you to fit the derailleur of your choice with a bolt-on hanger (remember Simplex and some Huret derailleurs required specific hangers) or a hub gear or nothing at all. They are Campag dropouts after all. It has bidon braze-ons and a cast fork crown, neither common at the time.
Also remember the concept of 'groupsets' and having all the parts the same is a really recent concept pushed along Shimano and Suntour. Most people fitted what they could afford. Even if you bought a production Carlton, Holdsworth, whatever until you got to the top of the range you would get a mixture of parts scaled to fit the price point.
This bike has mainly good parts from second rank manufacturers like Gian Robert. Nothing wrong with them, just not trendy like those from the 'C' people. This would allow more money to be spent on the frame so I would think it is probably decent tubing even if it is not 531, lots of other firms made good chrome moly tubing in the UK at this point in time let alone the continental stuff.
By wqlava's measure almost every bike in my collection would be a 'frankenbike'

Cheers
Richard


+1. Was going to pipe in and say that my late 70s Dawes Super Galaxy has the same light mounting bracket on the fork and no derailleur hanger, the Suntour Cyclone RD is attached to a 'claw' hanger that bolts onto the forged dropout. It was the top end production touring bike from Dawes at the time and is made from Reynolds 531 tubing. I actually prefer it anyway, it's replaceable!


Well guys, I've learnt a bit. My favourite bikes at home have mostly what I saw called here about 4 years ago "frankengroups" (there was a great thread on favourite bits to assemble one with a best of breed theme), and coincidentally the couple of bikes I've been looking at shedding recently have groupsets. I have been set against those light mounts by a couple of lousy bikes I've had with them, notably a yellow Malvern Star Moscow 1980 which also had the incompatible BB. I still think that fork is just a bit pushed back halfway down, and it might be because the crown is good and maybe stronger. Thanks for keeping on with the info and helping us to understand what we see, rather than just bagging my ignorance in this case!
2014 goal 52000m
Image
wqlava1
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am
Location: Nillumbik, Vic

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:09 am

Repco Olympic Stools. Hah! Spread the dropouts and stick a nice wide cushy thing on there and that would actually be pretty comfy. I might make one next time I have a bung frame.
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 am

A couple of eBay picks:
Small Repco Nishiki Tri A, sans wheels so should go cheap.

This bike. I can't see much, but it looks good going by the sloping brake bridge and wrap around seat stays in the last photo. You can zoom by right clicking and selecting open image in a new tab.

3 bikes for $40. There's a cute little Ricardo Elite in there. Downside is you have to drag home a Repco Traveller too.
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:14 am

and a Gumtree best of:

for $90 you can't go wrong. Drillium crankset!

Cheap track bike

This seller has three bikes for sale pictured in front of a shipping container. Tempted to buy one just to see what else he's got in there!

A nicer quality Graecross.
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby morini » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 am

LugNut wrote:and a Gumtree best of:

for $90 you can't go wrong. Drillium crankset!

[/url]


Worth buying. Even just for the SR Royal cranks. 'Records' are a product from Baines Cycles in Hobart. Some are Technotrats but others were made locally. I notice this one has Suntour tips so I wonder if it's a local job? The one I've own has Campag dropouts so I'm guessing a Luigi. Some one should nab this.
morini
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: Southern Downs Qld

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:18 am

I'm really thinking about going and picking up that Record... I also like the sellers mindset.

See this ad.

Price reflects rarity and frame condition, if you think it's expensive please:

a) Find another one
b) ... that's not stuffed or been munted by some idiot
c) Cost getting anything made like this by an Australian framebuilder today ($1,000+)
d) Don't make any offers


:lol:
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:27 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote:I'm really thinking about going and picking up that Record... I also like the sellers mindset.
See this ad.


I like that a lot... too far away for me sadly :(

Richard
WyvernRH
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote:I'm really thinking about going and picking up that Record... I also like the sellers mindset.

See this ad.

Price reflects rarity and frame condition, if you think it's expensive please:

a) Find another one
b) ... that's not stuffed or been munted by some idiot
c) Cost getting anything made like this by an Australian framebuilder today ($1,000+)
d) Don't make any offers


:lol:


I emailed the seller hopeful that I could pick it up at very short notice due to heading away shortly. That window of opportunity is fast closing :(
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5687
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05 am

Well, I hope someone can pick it up, the missus just gave me an earfull 'Blah blah blah, you have too many projects already, blah blah blah, something about finishing the Z, blah blah blah, something about why don't I just be fat, lazy and not mechanically minded just like everyone else.. :roll:

Stuff it, I might just go down and get it anyway.

Otherwise, hopefully im_no_pro or someone here can pick it up. I'd love to see those alloy bits polished within an inch of their lives!
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:07 am

WyvernRH wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote:I'm really thinking about going and picking up that Record... I also like the sellers mindset.
See this ad.


I like that a lot... too far away for me sadly :(

Richard


Send him an e-mail, in some of his other ads he states that he's willing to carefully wrap it and send it (for a fee).

I like this guy even more after reading this bit of that ad.

If any potential buyer so much as whispers the "P" (powdercoat) word and this frame they forfeit the right to buy it.


:lol: hahahhaa
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LG » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:15 am

morini wrote:
LugNut wrote:and a Gumtree best of:

for $90 you can't go wrong. Drillium crankset!

[/url]


Worth buying. Even just for the SR Royal cranks. 'Records' are a product from Baines Cycles in Hobart. Some are Technotrats but others were made locally. I notice this one has Suntour tips so I wonder if it's a local job? The one I've own has Campag dropouts so I'm guessing a Luigi. Some one should nab this.

I believe there were also 'record' decalled bikes from either Melbourne or Sydney, can't recall which? You are correct, McBain Record's were either locally built or bought in, the locally built bikes are very well made. Mine has campag tips and diferent decals to the one listed.
LG = Low Gear
LG
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:44 pm

LG wrote:
morini wrote:
LugNut wrote:and a Gumtree best of:

for $90 you can't go wrong. Drillium crankset!

[/url]


Worth buying. Even just for the SR Royal cranks. 'Records' are a product from Baines Cycles in Hobart. Some are Technotrats but others were made locally. I notice this one has Suntour tips so I wonder if it's a local job? The one I've own has Campag dropouts so I'm guessing a Luigi. Some one should nab this.

I believe there were also 'record' decalled bikes from either Melbourne or Sydney, can't recall which? You are correct, McBain Record's were either locally built or bought in, the locally built bikes are very well made. Mine has campag tips and diferent decals to the one listed.


Will find out soon :twisted:

Image

Crap... now ive gotta tell the finance minister :oops:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5687
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby metalrideroz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Someone in Perth get on this, reynolds Dawes for $10
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne- ... 1030908959
User avatar
metalrideroz
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 am
Location: perthish

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:29 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Crap... now ive gotta tell the finance minister :oops:


Ha, I found a way around that... It's either going to the bike... or the strippers!! :lol: The bike seemed like a good alternative after all.... 8)
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:31 pm

metalrideroz wrote:Someone in Perth get on this, reynolds Dawes for $10
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne- ... 1030908959
It went pretty quick. Not to me unfortunately ;)
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
User avatar
HappyHumber
 
Posts: 4101
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:46 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Crap... now ive gotta tell the finance minister :oops:


Ha, I found a way around that... It's either going to the bike... or the strippers!! :lol: The bike seemed like a good alternative after all.... 8)


3 days before we fly out for a 2 week holiday I dont think the 'what' matters so much as the 'how much' :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5687
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Potato Bike
Same seller again, that has to be one of the best Gumtree descriptions I've ever read. :lol:
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:52 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Crap... now ive gotta tell the finance minister :oops:


Ha, I found a way around that... It's either going to the bike... or the strippers!! :lol: The bike seemed like a good alternative after all.... 8)


3 days before we fly out for a 2 week holiday I dont think the 'what' matters so much as the 'how much' :lol:


haha, fair enough then :D

I hope it was you that was able to pick up the Record, the ad has been taken down so I'm guessing she's gone.
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter