eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Kermit TF wrote:
I swear , you, me and Dimitri married sisters !


Lol, could be! Actually, shes supportive of the Z because she understands it was here before her and she knows that I'm not getting married until it can be the wedding car, so even more incentive for her. Lol. But she does get annoyed at so many projects, but I have to work on something, get too bored watching TV. :D

Glad someone picked up at record, should look good when its polished and back on the road.

LG
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LG » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:57 pm

I know nothing about scooters, but bought one for my daughter from the tip shop for $5 when she was little. Is there a scooter racing scene? Is $350 for a scooter a reasonable price (not that I'm in the market)? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hobart-r ... 1031034095
LG = Low Gear

User avatar
grantw
Posts: 1682
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Wollongong

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby grantw » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:09 pm

They are for this type of thing
Image

LG
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LG » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Ahh, ok thanks for that, makes sense. Back in the day a scooter was a toy used by somebody who hadn't yet mastered a skateboard. It appears the skate bowl culture has progressed since I last visited one...
LG = Low Gear

User avatar
barefoot
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:05 am
Location: Ballarat

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby barefoot » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:37 pm

LG wrote:Ahh, ok thanks for that, makes sense. Back in the day a scooter was a toy used by somebody who hadn't yet mastered a skateboard. It appears the skate bowl culture has progressed since I last visited one...


No, they're still for kids who haven't mastered a skateboard... judging by my observations of the pecking order (and the graffiti) at my local skate bowl. "Scooter fags" are the lowest of the low, even if some of them can do fairly amazing tricks on them.

Kind of like the dynamic between body board riders and surfers. There are a few professional body boarders... but most of them grow out of it and get a real surfboard, or find a new hobby, in their early teens.

tim

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 4038
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby bychosis » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:47 pm

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
LugNut
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:56 pm


peterk
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby peterk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:25 pm

85 km/h in first gear!!! 6 more to go!!! Yahoooooo..........
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOTORISED-BI ... 461573f046

User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 8139
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 pm

peterk wrote:85 km/h in first gear!!! 6 more to go!!! Yahoooooo..........
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOTORISED-BI ... 461573f046


That kind of power on a cross country bike with Teny wheels really doesn't bear thinking about...
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 5702
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 pm

peterk wrote:85 km/h in first gear!!! 6 more to go!!! Yahoooooo..........
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOTORISED-BI ... 461573f046

ldrcycles wrote:That kind of power on a cross country bike with Teny wheels really doesn't bear thinking about...

One suspects that the "MATURE SENSIBLE OWNER" he thinks this is suited for will stay far far away
Image . . . . . Image

tyliftw
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am
Location: Sydney

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby tyliftw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 pm

^ The red...it also hurts my eyes at this time of the night!
Cannondale CAAD7 SRAM Rival
Centurion Triathlon Master Ultegra 6500

User avatar
Dimitrizee
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 pm
Location: Pakenham, Vic

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Dimitrizee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote:
Kermit TF wrote:I swear , you, me and Dimitri married sisters !

Lol, could be! Actually, shes supportive of the Z because she understands it was here before her and she knows that I'm not getting married until it can be the wedding car, so even more incentive for her. Lol. But she does get annoyed at so many projects, but I have to work on something, get too bored watching TV. :D
Glad someone picked up at record, should look good when its polished and back on the road.


I think we have! That quote "easier to beg for forgiveness than permission" is very true; works for me sometimes. Most times she finds out I've bought something when I say "time for a drive" to pickup..hahaha
I should quit for a tad..the collection is getting out of hand; even I have started to trip over the amount of frames and wheelsets lying around.

User avatar
barefoot
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:05 am
Location: Ballarat

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby barefoot » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Oh dear, what have they done to you?!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-Vint ... 2c757403c3

A nice high-end Shogun Ninja road frame... "upgraded" with 26" wheels and cheap BMX calipers to reach the rims, single-speeded, and with a stupid handlebar setup.

I'd quite like the frame (a nice little one like that would suit me well), but not for that price... and I'm sure as hell not going to pay to freight those wheels and bars any further than the seller's wheelie bin.

tim

User avatar
sunho
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 am

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby sunho » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Haha, love the way this person advertises the bike.
Has some Photography skills too.
shoddy fixie in Sydney


A good laugh

User avatar
WestcoastPete
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:07 pm

barefoot wrote:Oh dear, what have they done to you?!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-Vint ... 2c757403c3

A nice high-end Shogun Ninja road frame... "upgraded" with 26" wheels and cheap BMX calipers to reach the rims, single-speeded, and with a stupid handlebar setup.

I'd quite like the frame (a nice little one like that would suit me well), but not for that price... and I'm sure as hell not going to pay to freight those wheels and bars any further than the seller's wheelie bin.

tim


I agree; the handelbar setup isn't my style, but otherwise I think it's pretty cool. Long reach dual calipers would help too I guess, but the extra cush in those tyres might make for a nice ride.

User avatar
WestcoastPete
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:21 am

This dude is selling some interesting stuff in Brizzy. Do they exist on this forum somewhere?

User avatar
The Fixer
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:45 am

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby The Fixer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 am

sunho wrote:Haha, love the way this person advertises the bike.
Has some Photography skills too.
shoddy fixie in Sydney


A good laugh



I'm not too keen on the look of that front-brake hanger...

Hate to have to grab a handful and have it bend!

Not a bad ad, though. :-)
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 5702
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 am

The Fixer wrote:
sunho wrote:Haha, love the way this person advertises the bike.
Has some Photography skills too.
shoddy fixie in Sydney


A good laugh



I'm not too keen on the look of that front-brake hanger...

Hate to have to grab a handful and have it bend!

Not a bad ad, though. :-)

Its a bit hard to tell from the photo, but it is possible the brake hanger is to Sheldon's design Important that there are two brackets though - adds significantly to its strength
Image
Image . . . . . Image

User avatar
sunho
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 am

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby sunho » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Cheap.. If I was near the city, I would at go look at it...
I really hope someone here gets it...

strange, it looks like it belongs with 27 wheels...

Nago

User avatar
LugNut
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Vintage Steel Centurion MTB in Sydney. Need work but cheap.

53cm Abeni Frame. Paint 3/10, Chrome 10/10. :| Odd.

Ha! My old Paconi frame. Damn, I was hoping somebody might've found the time to get that re sprayed or P-coated, it was worth it. Not high end, but commuter worthy, and it had rack mounts on the seat stays.

User avatar
barefoot
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:05 am
Location: Ballarat

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby barefoot » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:50 pm

sunho wrote:Cheap.. If I was near the city, I would at go look at it...
I really hope someone here gets it...

strange, it looks like it belongs with 27 wheels...

Nago


Or 'Nago stickers on gaspipe.

I know which option I'd be putting my money on.

tim

User avatar
LugNut
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Our mate Victa is having a dig at us...
Ventoux

I wanted to talk about that frame because it's nice, but now we can't... :wink:

I've got to say, tosser or not, you're lucky if you live near him - some nice stuff passes through his backyard.
Ripper of a workbench going to highest bidder.

morini
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: Southern Downs Qld

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby morini » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Good old Victa. His feedback makes great reading. Sort of says it all for you, without having to say or add a thing.

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:21 pm

LugNut wrote:Our mate Victa is having a dig at us...
Ventoux

I wanted to talk about that frame because it's nice, but now we can't... :wink:

I've got to say, tosser or not, you're lucky if you live near him - some nice stuff passes through his backyard.

Dented top tube in first photo. Nothing a bit of braze wouldn't fix up I guess.
Image

User avatar
The Fixer
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:45 am

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby The Fixer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
LugNut wrote:Our mate Victa is having a dig at us...
Ventoux

I wanted to talk about that frame because it's nice, but now we can't... :wink:

I've got to say, tosser or not, you're lucky if you live near him - some nice stuff passes through his backyard.

Dented top tube in first photo. Nothing a bit of braze wouldn't fix up I guess.


Looks nice otherwise, and I could live with that dent.

At the right price, and if I had the space...

On second viewing, probably a tad small... Still.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Return to “Retro biking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]