eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Torana68 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:33 am

:(
RobertFrith wrote:I'm rather taken by the horsedrawn fire engine. As you say the other listings are pretty slack and don't reflect well on a seller who's trying to realise $25K+ on a bike. Very much the tip-it-out-of-the-box-and-snap school of listing

Perhaps just misinformed of things value but it smells of Ebay sillyness, there appears to be no solid connection to Major Taylor, its probably NOT the only one in existance, nor the most important, I cant get the pictures to work but from the crappy ones it doesnt look like a race bike. For $25K Id want something more than "reported left behind". The $4000 , yes four thousand dollar Speedwell , I WISH they were worth half that!!!! but whos Norm Gilroy? this guys listings are hopeless........... :(

Edit ; more detail on the Speedwell added , still cant see any good pickies or more than $150 in value :)
Last edited by Torana68 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"
Torana68

by BNA » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 am

BNA

Postby scratchman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 am

scratchman

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:34 am

Dunno about these, pricing looks pretty sharp for mine, unlike the pictures. Spoke holes look a little deformed, hard to tell without better photos. Might be someone willing to take a chance.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171263077684 ... 1423.l2649

Jim
familyguy

Postby Imwit » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:47 pm

RobertFrith wrote:As you say the other listings are pretty slack and don't reflect well on a seller who's trying to realise $25K+ on a bike. Very much the tip-it-out-of-the-box-and-snap school of listing

Torana68 wrote:this guys listings are hopeless........... :(

He she they? currently have 10 separate listings for rare wheels, generic pictures of high wheeler, none of the actual items, cut and paste generic sales pitch. Pretty off putting I reckon. Even if they do get updated later.
Imwit

Postby morini » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I did notice that all of these bits and pieces are from an old shop in Punchbowl, Sydney, owned by Jack Walsh. He was known in the motorcycle world as well and apparently a pretty handy cyclist so maybe there's a grain of truth to the seller's stories. If Major Taylor had a bike and it was still around you'd have to say there'd be a good chance Jack Walsh might have owned it. It's just not worth $25,000 is it?
morini

Postby Torana68 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:30 pm

morini wrote:..............................If Major Taylor had a bike and it was still around you'd have to say there'd be a good chance Jack Walsh might have owned it. It's just not worth $25,000 is it?

you would need a direct connection , for example, MT rode the bike and left it with the agent on display, it was bouight by Mr A and the receipt says "frame No .... raced by MT" the receipt is passed to next owner and on to current .
saying its thought to have been left behind doesnt cut it
whats it worth? to a US Museum a lot but they'd be looking for some sort of time line PROOF, documentation, receipts. Without those its just another old bike. It doesnt really look like an '02 to me, more like a late teens bike?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"
Torana68

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:51 pm

And he doesn't cover himself in historical cycling accuracy glory with answers like this:

ebay ad wrote:Q: Hello, Can you please give measurements of: Front wheel; 28” or 26”? (I'm not able to discern from your pic of the front wheel) The hole count of the front hub 32 or 36? Any markings on the hubs? The teeth count on the chainring? The teeth count on the rear sprocket? Lastly, the wheel base dimension? Thanks 10-Mar-14
A: hi, i have measured and used a conversion table online as in AUSTRALIA we only use centimeters now.. they are,, wheels, 66cm, 25.98inches from top of rim to bottom of rim. outer dia. the front hub is 32 spoke, the rear is 36 spoke. there are 44 teeth on chain ring and 14 on rear sprocket.. Wheel base axle to axle centres is109cm or 42.91 inches... hope this helps, regards steve

Nobody I know uses centimeters for wheels except 700c. Some people might use centimetres 8) , but not many.

Jim
familyguy

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Yea good luck to him but as has been said, i would want a hell of a lot more than "maybe" to spend that kind of money.

Sad to see what would have been a fascinating collection being so carelessly hocked.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby morini » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:18 pm

by Steptoe and Son Australia
morini

Postby frailer5 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Daughter taking a job in BroadBeach. BF doesn't drive, so have suggested one way he get around is to get a bicycle. So I'll be looking Bris/Gold Coast for him. If anyone up that way sees something that might do the trick.. he's med build; would imagine a 54 in road steel. Maybe a vintage MTB would do it though. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
frailer5

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:21 pm

BT Superbike anyone? I would go for it myself, but its gone for more than Id like to pay for a bike in that condition. For some reason it is in really bad condition, even though it shouldve been an ex-AIS bike. There seems to be two BB shells though. ANyway, this is the road version, in which the only one similar to the one in this ad is wing nut's track version.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIS-BT-RMIT- ... 417d842bda
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby frog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:14 am

frog

Postby rangersac » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:10 pm

So what exactly does this grease contain?
Clamont
How much for an Apollo gaspipe?!
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Gemini Steelie
rangersac

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:34 pm

QuangVuong wrote:BT Superbike anyone? I would go for it myself, but its gone for more than Id like to pay for a bike in that condition. For some reason it is in really bad condition, even though it shouldve been an ex-AIS bike. There seems to be two BB shells though. ANyway, this is the road version, in which the only one similar to the one in this ad is wing nut's track version.

There is no reason to think that this bike was ever owned by the AIS. They were developed by RMIT with support from the AIS and built by BT hence the tags in the description, but they were commercially available at the time. A few triathletes raced on these which would explain both the rust and the wetsuit stickers. The track/pursuit bikes have more historical appeal as they were what the design was originally intended for.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby munga » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 pm

rangersac wrote:So what exactly does this grease contain?

the smell of passion :roll:
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:46 pm

morini wrote: If Major Taylor had a bike and it was still around you'd have to say there'd be a good chance Jack Walsh might have owned it. It's just not worth $25,000 is it?

Yes that is Major Taylor's bike, the one that was in Walsh's shop. Its the real deal.
Seller has typed one zero too many I think.
Derny Driver

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby Imwit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
morini wrote: If Major Taylor had a bike and it was still around you'd have to say there'd be a good chance Jack Walsh might have owned it. It's just not worth $25,000 is it?

Yes that is Major Taylor's bike, the one that was in Walsh's shop. Its the real deal.

What makes you say that?

I'm just interested.
I reckon this conversation needs it's own thread.
Imwit

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:09 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:BT Superbike anyone? I would go for it myself, but its gone for more than Id like to pay for a bike in that condition. For some reason it is in really bad condition, even though it shouldve been an ex-AIS bike. There seems to be two BB shells though. ANyway, this is the road version, in which the only one similar to the one in this ad is wing nut's track version.

There is no reason to think that this bike was ever owned by the AIS. They were developed by RMIT with support from the AIS and built by BT hence the tags in the description, but they were commercially available at the time. A few triathletes raced on these which would explain both the rust and the wetsuit stickers. The track/pursuit bikes have more historical appeal as they were what the design was originally intended for.

Cheers,

Cameron

Went for a crazy $661 price. And here I was thinking I could get it for a little bit cheaper due to the damage :(

I never knew that these were commercially available. Due to the scarce info on them, I assumed that it was developed and used exclusively by the AIS.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Imwit wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:

What makes you say that?

I'm just interested.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/ ... m=storyrhs
Derny Driver

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 pm

munga wrote:
rangersac wrote:So what exactly does this grease contain?

the smell of passion :roll:

so what does this one smell of?
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Postby munga » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 pm

The smell of onanism..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 pm

QuangVuong wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:

Cheers,

Cameron

Went for a crazy $661 price. And here I was thinking I could get it for a little bit cheaper due to the damage :(

I never knew that these were commercially available. Due to the scarce info on them, I assumed that it was developed and used exclusively by the AIS.

These bikes and similar offerings from companies like Giant and Pinarello triggered the knee-jerk reaction from the UCI to change the rules and ensure that frames looked at least vaguely like 'what Eddie rode' on the basis of asserting 'the primacy of man over machine'. The intent was to try and limit the arms race on bike development and prevent all the records falling to the richest competitors, rather than the best athletes. The irony was that the BT frames at least were cheaper than a custom built Kenevens, which was just about the benchmark of the time. I seem to recall that at one stage the Kiwi team was competing on identical equipment (black v white) to the Australian team and there was surprise that we didn't keen the best stuff for ourselves..

The selling price was a lot, but these were specifically intended to be the fastest bikes around at the time. They might still perform well against the more standard frames today.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby Imwit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Imwit wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Yes that is Major Taylor's bike, the one that was in Walsh's shop. Its the real deal.

What makes you say that?

I'm just interested.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/ ... m=storyrhs

That article is posted in the ebay ad.
You reckon if Jack said it was then that's that?
(I don't know anything of Jack Walsh besides what the seller sprouts)
Imwit

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 am

Hetchins inspired Speedwell. You get wavey forks and both a curvy TT with DT. :lol:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beaumont ... 1041112324
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking