Calling all Campy toff's ... including Toff !!!

spirito

Calling all Campy toff's ... including Toff !!!

Postby spirito » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:16 pm

There's a partial Chorus Graphite finish groupset from about 1991 on ebay at the moment with a buy-it-now of $500. I have no relation to the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Campagnolo-grey- ... 0256059253

Not cheap but these Century and Graphite finish kits are quite rare and are now very collectible. I'm pretty sure it's Chorus with the monoplanar brakes and the later series 8 speed rear derailleur. Cranks are definitely Chorus but I think the inner chainring is either Veloce or Mirage. Shame it has no shifters or brake levers to match and complete the picture but the seller is offering a set of 9 speed Veloce shifters which he claims works fine and I think can be modded with 8 speed bits if you're really obsessed. Keep in mind these weren't offered as complete kits and most ended up on special production bike catalogues or show bikes. It won't be easy sourcing campy 8 speed hubs and cassette's but I know a few of you have these in your sheds. Any recent 111mm symmetrical Campy cartridge BB will suit the cranks if you can't find the original style loose ball and cup style BB.

More than anything I'm hoping someone here buys it so I don't have to :lol:

I'd check with the seller about the crank rub to see how marred they are but black pens cover up a lot. Would be great for a late 80's or early 90's Italian frame for those who need to be a little different. Style wise it's not everybody's cup of tea but it has lotsa pose value and you can shut up the Delta brake poseur's by letting them know Chorus Graphite is much rarer. :mrgreen:

Pssst ... black ano Cinelli stem, Campy Strada rims and Black regal !!!!
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

cludence

Re: Calling all Campy toff's ... including Toff !!!

Postby cludence » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:58 pm

You can do it Spiro, I know you can.....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Toff just spent all his money on a fixie
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toff

Postby toff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Yes. My fixie. Cost me all of .... $0. Found the frame on the roadside, found the cranks on another roadside bike, pulled out some 1994 Chorus Monoplanar brakes from the spares draw, and teamed them up with a set of 1994 Xenon resin levers. Then borrowed a 1996 Vento front wheel from another bike, and Hey Presto! a Fixie. Will post about that one when I get some time. It's a good story. (Also, I lied about the fixie costing $0. I had to buy a new chain because the chainstays are so long on my fixie that I didn't have one long enough! - $30 :oops: )

Now, back to this nice groupset. Saw it, and put it on my watch list days ago. Also contacted the seller about the absence of shifters. Didn't really get a clear answer. I like it, but the shield logos are gone on the cranks, which is a bit of a shame. I guessed 1990 for the year.

My real problem is that I'm talking to a guy in Denmark about acquiring some nice bits of C-Record, including a set of 1st generation C-Record cranks with the engraved shield logo set high, a 50th anniversary seatpost, and a set of Sheriff Star track wheels that have been used for less than 2 hours total since being built up. Need to keep my financial powder dry for those items...

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 pm

cludence wrote:You can do it Spiro, I know you can.....
Spiro ???

I know I'm a wog but .... :P

And I'm all set for retirement as it is 8)

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

toff

Postby toff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:44 pm

spirito wrote:And I'm all set for retirement as it is 8)

I dream of having a collection of white boxes with blue lettering on them just like that. DROOL!!! :shock:

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 pm

toff wrote:Yes. My fixie. Cost me all of .... $0. Found the frame on the roadside, found the cranks on another roadside bike, pulled out some 1994 Chorus Monoplanar brakes from the spares draw, and teamed them up with a set of 1994 Xenon resin levers. Then borrowed a 1996 Vento front wheel from another bike, and Hey Presto! a Fixie. Will post about that one when I get some time. It's a good story. (Also, I lied about the fixie costing $0. I had to buy a new chain because the chainstays are so long on my fixie that I didn't have one long enough! - $30 :oops: )

Now, back to this nice groupset. Saw it, and put it on my watch list days ago. Also contacted the seller about the absence of shifters. Didn't really get a clear answer. I like it, but the shield logos are gone on the cranks, which is a bit of a shame. I guessed 1990 for the year.

My real problem is that I'm talking to a guy in Denmark about acquiring some nice bits of C-Record, including a set of 1st generation C-Record cranks with the engraved shield logo set high, a 50th anniversary seatpost, and a set of Sheriff Star track wheels that have been used for less than 2 hours total since being built up. Need to keep my financial powder dry for those items...
Days ago ??? It was only listed 7 or so hours ago :| Maybe he has relisted it.

Financial powder? I didn't know you were a Bra Boy !!! :P

I saw a 50th Anniversary seatpost recently in a 26.8mm size. Kinda funny.

Xenon resin levers. 8) Pre-carbon carbon aka plastic is very cool. My first bike had an Ofmega rear derailleur with a black plastic body. And somewhere in my stash is a plastic headset with needle bearings. I've always marveled at how silly and extreme things are when a plastic headset becomes a weight saving feature. Shame Simplex gave plastic a bad name :roll: ... but it seems resin/plastic with the added wonder fibres made of carbon is once again supreme .. sorta. :wink: 8)

sixx

Postby sixx » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:20 pm

spirito wrote:
cludence wrote:You can do it Spiro, I know you can.....
Spiro ???

I know I'm a wog but .... :P

And I'm all set for retirement as it is 8)

HOLY F***************************** :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:14 pm

spirito wrote:Days ago ??? It was only listed 7 or so hours ago :| Maybe he has relisted it.
IIRC, it was relisted. Went from 99c to the current start price. No explanation. Pretty annoying and has left me cold on the whole idea of having anything to do with the vendor.

I've noticed a number of items mysteriously "close" or "relist" in the last month - used to be that you couldn't just pull an item without leaving some trace of why. I guess the number of "errors in the listing" (particularily the start price) was getting too high

Paint me the cynic
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

toff

Postby toff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:24 pm

spirito wrote:
Days ago ??? It was only listed 7 or so hours ago :| Maybe he has relisted it.
Yes I just realised he has. Previously there was no "Buy it Now" option. Cancelled Auction here.
spirito wrote: Financial powder? I didn't know you were a Bra Boy !!! :P
Must remember not to mix my metaphors...
spirito wrote: I saw a 50th Anniversary seatpost recently in a 26.8mm size. Kinda funny.
I need to find a 20mm Colnago Oval CX seatpost too, for a project I'm helping a friend with. That one looks ridiculous!
spirito wrote: Xenon resin levers. 8) Pre-carbon carbon aka plastic is very cool. My first bike had an Ofmega rear derailleur with a black plastic body. And somewhere in my stash is a plastic headset with needle bearings. I've always marveled at how silly and extreme things are when a plastic headset becomes a weight saving feature. Shame Simplex gave plastic a bad name :roll: ... but it seems resin/plastic with the added wonder fibres made of carbon is once again supreme .. sorta. :wink: 8)
I believe Shimano did it too, and not on the low end stuff either. A Santé headset was basically plastic. Also, in 1994, when Campag changed the hood casings of their Ergopower shifters from Aluminium to plastic, they wrote "Carbon" all over the front of the shifters. It was no more carbon fibre than an 80s graphite fishing rod or tennis racquet is, but these days people forget these things and assume it must be CF. Must say though, that those resin levers took some getting used to when braking hard. Any moment you think they might just snap clean off. Have to remind myself that they are Campag, and Campag doesn't break! (I am of course choosing to ignore references to titanium Super Record parts, and crank spiders from the same vintage.)

toff

Postby toff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Oh and one more thing...

The Vendor did the right thing to end his auction. Made a few mistakes, and his auction started getting messy, so he cancelled the bids and started again. Probably the best thing given that he wasn't sure of the year, the groupset, or the number of speeds of the shifters he added when he first started.

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Spiro ???

I know I'm a wog but ....
I was just being lazy and typed Spiro for short. Typing the extra 'i' and 't' was just too much hard work. :D

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 pm

sixx wrote:

:oops:

Ok kids ... it's just an image I got from the interwebs. Not mine. I don't have boxes of NOS campy stuff (well ... 8) ) so don't come and rob my house :wink:

.. + my dog is a monster who eats campy grease and sharpens his teeth on Columbus SLX :twisted:

BTW ... I do know a handful of peep's overseas who have that and much more. Their take is almost like it's superannuation and they ain't selling. Some people leave their money in real estate, or gold bullion or NOS Campy :idea:

One guy has a whole room of racks housing a lot of NOS in box Campagnolo stuff.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:41 am

have you read the story about the guy with the assymetric yamaguchi, and how he came across it?
i'll find a link..
here it is:
http://cyclingwmd.blogspot.com/2007/09/ ... -have.html

spirito

Postby spirito » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:23 am

munga wrote:have you read the story about the guy with the assymetric yamaguchi, and how he came across it?
i'll find a link..
here it is:
http://cyclingwmd.blogspot.com/2007/09/ ... -have.html
Wow ... what a story. I'm sure we all have similar stories but on a much less "holy grail" scale compared to that one. I think I'm a massive and hopeless bike geek without cure but then I meet someone who makes me seem like a dabbler and I think "holy fxxx, that guy is nuts". That stuff is fun.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:14 am

toff wrote:Oh and one more thing...

The Vendor did the right thing to end his auction. Made a few mistakes, and his auction started getting messy, so he cancelled the bids and started again. Probably the best thing given that he wasn't sure of the year, the groupset, or the number of speeds of the shifters he added when he first started.
Fair'nuff. I'd not bid so I missed the cancells, just had the item disappear and reappear

Ah, even further confusion, the vendor has two for sale a chorus downtube 8sp one and a grey 8sp with 9sp shifters
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

toff

Postby toff » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:27 pm

spirito wrote:Ok kids ... it's just an image I got from the interwebs. Not mine. I don't have boxes of NOS campy stuff (well ... 8) ) so don't come and rob my house :wink:

.. + my dog is a monster who eats campy grease and sharpens his teeth on Columbus SLX :twisted:
Your dog has an expensive diet. Would be cheaper to feed her caviar. I also notice that the fork on that Colnago is wrong. If that is a Colnago fork, it's a 1990s model. It has a fullsloping overlapping crown, and it should have an earlier nonsloping overlapping crown with a Trefoil cutout and "COLNAGO" stamped into it.

Maybe your dog also ate the original forks. :lol:

sixx

Postby sixx » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:29 pm

spirito wrote:
sixx wrote:

:oops:

Ok kids ... it's just an image I got from the interwebs. Not mine. I don't have boxes of NOS campy stuff (well ... 8) ) so don't come and rob my house :wink:

BTW ... I do know a handful of peep's overseas who have that and much more. Their take is almost like it's superannuation and they ain't selling. Some people leave their money in real estate, or gold bullion or NOS Campy :idea:

One guy has a whole room of racks housing a lot of NOS in box Campagnolo stuff.

Nice looking dog you have there.

spirito

Postby spirito » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:15 am

toff wrote:

Your dog has an expensive diet. Would be cheaper to feed her caviar. I also notice that the fork on that Colnago is wrong. If that is a Colnago fork, it's a 1990s model. It has a fullsloping overlapping crown, and it should have an earlier nonsloping overlapping crown with a Trefoil cutout and "COLNAGO" stamped into it.

Maybe your dog also ate the original forks. :lol:

Ahhh Toff, the pic isn't very clear in a few regards:

1stly and most importantly my dog is a he. :lol:

2ndly, it's not very clear from the pic as it's crown is quite reflective and the fork has been rechromed which means the infill for the panto clubs inside the "C" and triangle cutaway haven't been redone but the fork is original the frame, is correct and is very 80's. The frameset is a Nuovo Mexico (with specially crimped top and down tubes) and whilst I'm not a Colnago expert I know they were mostly produced/available from the early to mid 80's. Here's a few more below of the same style with the same fork ... all from the same early-mid 80's period but with a few variations in paint style.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiobeel ... 729835399/
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/colnago/06.jpg
http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2008/cc458 ... y0308.html
http://www.speedbicycles.ch/258/index.html
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0471312935

In any case that frame is now in Japan ... a man's gotta feed his dog, eh? :mrgreen:

sixx

Postby sixx » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Really nice bike Spirito. I would love to own something like that.

Hey, I saw on gts' (cyclomondo) flickr page he has a team Brooklyn Gios Torino from when De Vlaeminck was with them. Is this ridgee didge? where the hell do people get these bikes? is there some underground secret bike buying society out there?

Any links? :D :D :wink: