Malvern Star Coronation "Elizabethan"

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Re: Malvern Star Coronation "Elizabethan"

Postby cycles gitane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:36 pm

cludence wrote: Silverlight, I was told that several chainrings with the crown were made and given to various countries as a gift. Each country was given one only. A long time bike store owner in Sydney had one but I recently heard that it was sold to a private collector. This information was provided by a reputable source it is just the number of chainrings that were given I am unsure of.

Karen.
Is this the chain wheel with the crowns you heard about?

Detail of the crown:

But I cannot see this design on any of the bikes displayed here or in the advertisement. :?

cycles gitane

PS clydesdale scot, how did you get a.jpg from the web page? Did not work for me on my browser.
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 pm

cycles gitane wrote: PS clydesdale scot, how did you get a.jpg from the web page? Did not work for me on my browser.
I saved the page as a PDF (one of the options in the top left of the page), then opened the page in Photoshop then saved it as a jpeg at various resolutions for the thumbnail and the larger image.
I could have done a Printscreen when viewing the page and pasted it in Photoshop and stitched the image together, or I could have saved the image in Acrobat as a jpeg file...

(I know more about image manipulation than I know about old bikes)

It appears that the 'Coronation' range was around by 1937 see SMH 24 April 1937
and the [Hobart] Mercury
These adverts mention the women's bike but there is no image of one.
In 1953 the Mercury had the womens model as "majestic Royal purple and gold finish, sparkling all-chrome fittings, distinctively regal transfers...."

In 1954 The Argus and the Mercury both carried adverts for the "Elizabethan" (no reference is made to Coronation) with "this spectacular scoop, expressly designed for the Royal Tour. It's a very special creation in cylcles...equipped with alluring curves...equipped with 'floating comfort' saddle and colourful dress net. Its distinctive red white and blue finish is brilliantly set off with chrome plating... to complete a sleek lovely cycle, truly befitting a Queen...the cycle that graces the Queen's highways."
[click on image for larger image]

I wonder if the paint on Stackyard59's bike on page one is indeed "badly painted" or is it just as it was intended in 1954, as the colour scheme matches the equally colourful advertising copy.

cycles gitane

Postby cycles gitane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
cycles gitane wrote: PS clydesdale scot, how did you get a.jpg from the web page? Did not work for me on my browser.
I saved the page as a PDF (one of the options in the top left of the page), then opened the page in Photoshop then saved it as a jpeg at various resolutions for the thumbnail and the larger image.
I could have done a Printscreen when viewing the page and pasted it in Photoshop and stitched the image together, or I could have saved the image in Acrobat as a jpeg file...

(I know more about image manipulation than I know about old bikes)
Thanks for the details. I don't have photoshop or any image manipulation software. I know a little more about bikes than software :D
Clydesdale Scot wrote: and the [Hobart] Mercury
These adverts mention the women's bike but there is no image of one.
In 1953 the Mercury had the womens model as "majestic Royal purple and gold finish, sparkling all-chrome fittings, distinctively regal transfers...."
If you read the ad carefully I think the above description is for the gents bike at the top of the page, with the Elizabethan mentioned in the bottom right corner.
No major frame changes for the gents, the ladies having the cantilever tubing etc.
Bicyclepassion is the expert on all things MS. Over to him :)

cycles gitane

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 pm

yes thats the one I remember seeing, spot on Cycles Gitane,
Those crowns have nice detail and yours is in exceptional condition.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 pm

cycles gitane wrote: If you read the ad carefully I think the above description is for the gents bike at the top of the page, with the Elizabethan mentioned in the bottom right corner.
cycles gitane
The way I read them, for the womens bikes pre March 1954 were "Coronations" with purple and gold colours, and the naming was changed to "Elizabethan" with a red white and blue colour scheme to coincide with Queen Elizabeth's visit to Aust Feb-April 1954. The Feb/March 1954 adverts note the name "Elizabethan' was registered as a trade mark for bicycles!

calling Warren

nixcars

Postby nixcars » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi,

I have one of these Coronation model ladies bike that I am about to start restoring. Its got surface rust all over so don't know its original colour. Can anyone help with pics of the different colours they came in & how do I find out what year it was produced? All help will be appreciated.

Nick.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:43 pm

...that first 'coronation' model was for king George, the frames were talking about havent been around since 1937.They most likely kicked off just before Queen Elizabeth's coronation in '53, the 'Elizabethan" being the follow on.

I have one of these Coronation model ladies bike that I am about to start restoring. Its got surface rust all over so don't know its original colour.

Nick I hope thats not the rotten one sold on ebay recently.rusty as
Roger

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:11 pm

no need to worry about the rust on that ebay frame, the advertisements clearly stated that these bikes were "guaranteed forever"

I got mine back from getting sandblasted this afternoon, and need to get a small non-structural dent silver soldered or filled.
then it gets painted.

There were insufficient details posted regarding decals and line work, so this one will be painted up as wife (Liz) and I wish.
Philip

nixcars

Postby nixcars » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am

Torana68 wrote:...that first 'coronation' model was for king George, the frames were talking about havent been around since 1937.They most likely kicked off just before Queen Elizabeth's coronation in '53, the 'Elizabethan" being the follow on.

I have one of these Coronation model ladies bike that I am about to start restoring. Its got surface rust all over so don't know its original colour.

Nick I hope thats not the rotten one sold on ebay recently.rusty as
Roger
I actually did pic this one up & as soon as it arrives it's going on my workshop wall in "as is" condition for that nostalgic look along with my vintage push mower & other antiques i have aquired over the years. This one is too far gone for restoring so it's for display only.
The one I want to restore hasn't a skeric of paint on it anywhere, (probably worse than silverlight's bike). It was sitting up against a shed out in the weather for years so I'd like to know all the different colours they came out with & also the decals/stickers thay had at the time. Looking at the pics on here, I now know that they came in the Purple, Red white & blue, yellow & the Green. I would really like to do this one in Red so hoping that they were produced in this colour too. It's at the blasters ready to be picked up so any help will be appreciated. Also, how can I tel if it's a '53, '54, or '55 model?

Nick.

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Here's another on ebay.. ebay item number: 200506077820

I remember that Frank Kovacs had restored a Malvern Star Coronation and posted a pic on his website, which is not working any more, it was deep purple and had gold linework and was really well done. I've heard he's off the air now but his restoration looks like it may have been done very close to the original colour scheme in the brochure. If any one knows how to get in touch with him or has a file pic of his bike it'd be great to post here. I have a light pink coronation, a burnt orange a deep purple and a green one. Will have to get some pics but they're buried in the shed.
“If you do something right the first time, then it’s not hard enough” :D

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:33 pm

I was fortunate in getting two Westwood rimmed wheels yesterday, and some mudguards.
Chasing up a possible supply of skirt nets.
My wife excited with the progress?
in one word.... NO

Yes please for the photos, and ideally a copy in a new folder at Ozpushies for posterity.

elk

Postby elk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Years ago Frank Kovacs told me the correct colour for such a bike is gold and Royal Blue - a very dark blue , similar to navy - . Wikipedia will give you the specs for Royal Blue (traditional ) . I can't remember if I actually used it but I'll try and post pics of the bike later in the week .

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:40 am

four Malvern Star 'Coronations' from the Canberra Bicycle Museum disposal October 2008 catalogue

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:49 am

Anyone know if you can make or buy skirt nets for these bikes? The original rear guard has all the holes ready for it.
[edit] I just bought one off internet...not quite like original but cheap enough..

I am hoping to get mine ready for a 60year anniversary of Coronation ride along Coro Drive next year. Not sure if I'll frock up though. It could be a grand event if we all (with this bike) frocked up together:)
Mine is actually a 55 model I presume. It has a serial number M55something. I'll post some before pics soon.
I found this photo online some time back and saved for reference when I do mine. I think it might be the one mentioned above of Frank Kovacs
Last edited by koen on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 am

really good photo
I have a Coronation ready for painting, so the photo is very timely.
I have some photos of Mario's (before it was sold) showing the lining.

the skirt nets appear on Australian e bay occasionally
a German e bayer has them, use 220900090184 in the e bay search box. Price is about what they go for.
Philip

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Pretty much as purchased at garage sale about 4 years ago. It had square taper new crank. I have a period replacement. I'll need to despoke and paint and polish the wheels and find a period front hub as its had a new wheel. Off to pick up some chroming tomorrow so I guess I'll take the bits off this to get them done next. Another $300 I'll not see back!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:40 pm

my latest folly in progress
my design for a laser cut, laser etched stainless steel chainring to be used with a set of (to be chromed) Durax cranks
my variation on the original three crown chainring owned by Cycles Gitane (sadly the image of the original in the post above is not showing)
discussed it today with a Adelaide laser cutting business and it is feasible; he didn't laugh, instead he told me a whole series of wonderful stories of growing up in the north of England when the local bike shop owner made custom parts.
I will post updates as they occur.
recovering leather saddles, reproduction Shockstop 'honking rubbers', homemade copper rivets, now eccentric chainrings...

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 am

I have worked on and seen a lot of 'Coronation' Malvern Star ladies bikes. As far as I know, the purple and gold paint scheme was exclusive to the actual 'Coronation' model of 1953.
As far as I know, these funny shaped frames were made for many years apart from 1953, as stated elsewhere in this thread by others.
I have seen them in just about any colour you can think of, including one I have here in original paint, which is a mauve/maroon colour, all one colour, with lining.
I did a mechanical restoration on the purple and gold one that was in the Canberra museum collection. Photo above. I believe it was re-painted in the 'Coronation' colours many years ago by Bates in Melbourne. I would like to know where this bike ended up, as I think that this would be the most accurate representation of the purple and gold scheme in existence.
I dont believe that the 'coronation' or 'crown' chainwheels have anything at all to do with the 'coronation' Malvern Stars. All the ones I have seen have just had plain Williams chainwheels.
I have an interesting variation on one of these bikes, which is a C1970 Malvern Star Skidstar GT, with 'Coronation' forks. This combination looks like it was meant to be!
Warren

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 am

Just checked some numbers for 'Coronation' models that I have recorded.
1947 Perth one
1948 Melb one
1949 Perth two
1950 Melb one
1951 Melb one
1954 Melb one
1956 Melb two
The Canberra Bike Museum bike, repainted in gold and purple by Bates, is frame number 56M 9265.
Strangely enough, I dont have one from 1953 recorded.
I also just noticed that I have not recorded the ones in my own collection. I'd better do that.
Warren

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Estimating roughly from today's average earnings and average earnings in 1950, the price of £16/4/- for one of these Coronations advertised by Bruce Small works out at something about $3000 in today's money.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Warren,
I did start the post with "my latest folly..."
ie a costly ornamental decoration with no practical purpose
doing a search on 1953+coronation you get the impression that everyone NEEDED to produce something that was associated with the 1953 Coronation.
I agree with you that the original crown chainring was one of those items, ie it was not a production item, but for decoration.
The bike build will not be museum standard, but sympathetic to the time. For those not liking it, I will have NOS Coronation handkerchiefs, and there is always the Coronation headscarves, Coronation brooch and a 25th Anniversary of the Coronation bike bell. I am still to convince the wife to ride it!

cycles gitane

Postby cycles gitane » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:my latest folly in progress
my design for a laser cut, laser etched stainless steel chainring to be used with a set of (to be chromed) Durax cranks
my variation on the original three crown chainring owned by Cycles Gitane (sadly the image of the original in the post above is not showing)
discussed it today with a Adelaide laser cutting business and it is feasible; he didn't laugh, instead he told me a whole series of wonderful stories of growing up in the north of England when the local bike shop owner made custom parts.
I will post updates as they occur.
recovering leather saddles, reproduction Shockstop 'honking rubbers', homemade copper rivets, now eccentric chainrings...
Here are the pictures.
They were deleted from my flickr account to make space.
Now on photobucket.

cycles gitane

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Thats a great looking chainring!

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:58 am

Very impressive chainring, it's going to be a unique bike. Did the laser cutter engrave the pattern too?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:12 pm

thank you cycles gitane for reposting the images.
for clarity, cycles gitane's photos are of his very rare original; my drawing is interpretation of that which will soon be laser cut and engraved.

I drew it up in Illustrator by tracing a high resolution image kindly sent by cycles gitane, the key measurement is the PCD of 50.4 for the cranks. The teeth are taken from a free online creator using standard bike chain measurements of pitch and roller size, with my preference for 44 teeth. The file generated is exported as a DXF file, then converted with an online DXF to PDF converter, then the PDF was taken into Illustrator and resized to fit the size required. The Illustrator file can then be exported out as a DXF file which can be used as the input to generate the G code required in the laser cutting/engraving. Surprisingly, the laser cutting company was happy with the drawing and all I need to do now is to send the file so they can do the quote.

Amrjon, you have set the standard with your loop bike. The photos show wonderful care and attention to detail. They serve as an inspiration.

The Coronation will be for my wife. It is a Lady's bike. Quiz: what is my wife's christian name, and surname. (Clue, the surname is not Lord)
Philip