88 Rockhopper Comp

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

88 Rockhopper Comp

Postby brauluver » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 pm

I'll post some pics in the MTB retro tribe thread as well, but I thought in the mean time you retro lover types might find my latest aquisition of interest.

1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp.A little rough but a quick fiddle has it rideable already.
I've been on the lookout for a Full cromo MTB frame(only) with Horizontal drops for an S/S commuter/general purpose whip.Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this for sale in Adelaide.
Did a heap of research online and these things are quite revered in the US amongst retro MTB'ers.
Some specs here on the line for 88 rockhopper comp. http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

I'll tidy it up, service it and ride as is for awhile and decide whether to convert it or not.

Nice wheels

And heres the best bit

Guy I bought it off also had an almost immaculate adelaide built Protour MTB.
Lugged and made from PG Tange tubes Looked awesome.
He's had it for sale but pulled it and seems to be umming and ahhing about whether to keep it or not.

Either way I figure I've picked myself up a cool old school MTB with a nice frame for a platform.
Last edited by brauluver on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brauluver

by BNA » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:04 pm

BNA

Re: 88 Rockhopper Comp

Postby cludence » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:04 pm

I like it! Good score. It reminds me of my bridgestone MTB that is currently waiting for me to service it.

Karen.
cludence

Postby brauluver » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:51 pm

cludence wrote:I like it! Good score. It reminds me of my bridgestone MTB that is currently waiting for me to service it.

Karen.

Cheers, I took it for a 26k fang along some paths and singletrack trails today and it was awesome.Very comfy for a rigid hardtail.21 years on and it still stacks up for mine.Never ridden with bar ends until today, but I spent most of my time on em and resented having to hit the flats for braking. :?
brauluver

Postby vanbree » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Nice bike, tektro made brake lever extensions so you could brake from the bar ends, i have them on my flatbar roadie. :D
vanbree

Postby Matt Zac » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:13 am

Great score!

Have to admit I'm going though a retro MTB phase at the moment... great to see another one put back on track, so to speak :wink:
No, honey, I've had that one for ages...
Matt Zac

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:18 pm

vanbree wrote:Nice bike, tektro made brake lever extensions so you could brake from the bar ends, i have them on my flatbar roadie. :D

Are they still made? Do you know the part number? I'm looking for a few sets - one for a mate's MTB.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Return to Retro biking