Shogun Appreciation Society

BLU_FZ!

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby BLU_FZ! » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 am

Well guys, the build is coming to an end,only pedals,brake cables and headset left to do.Have spent a bit Yep, i wont get my money back,but the parts are all good enough to transfer to anther frame if one pops up.It rides great :shock: , total weighy as it is 11.7kg,surprised the hell out of me.Its now time to commence a Peugeot.Will post pics soon
Shogun Samurai

Frame Templite Ultra 4130 Cr-Mo
Fork 4130 Cr-Mo
Wheels MAVIC KSYRIUM EQUIPE
Tires CST
Pedals ?
Crank Shimano Dura Ace 7402
Chain KMC X9 9 SPEED
Rear Cogs Shimano Ultegra 6500 9 Speed
Bottom Bracket SHIMANO UN54
Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra FD6700
Rear Derailleur Shimano Dura Ace RD7700
Shifters Shimano Dura Ace 7700 9 Speed DTS
Handlebars ?
Stem SHIMANO AX 600-HS6300
Headset SHIMANO DURA ACE 7410
Brake set Shimano Ultegra BR-6500
Brake levers SHIMANO R600
Saddle Selle Turbo
Seat Post 26.4
Size 62 cm
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

miyoko

Postby miyoko » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:24 am

Hey guys,
It's great to see that other people enjoy their shogun's!

I have a Shogun Katana (the fluoro orange model) that's been in my family for a while. It was used in triathlon's for a while and is now a commuter (much like me haha). I was planning to fix it up as a single speed but am now moving overseas so unfortunately have to get rid of it.

Some details:
23’’ (58cm) TANGE Infinity Cr-Mo frame.

700C wheels with new tyres (yellow). Also comes with two extra tubes.

Shimano Exage Action Brakes (new brake pads).

Rest of componentry Shimano Exage 400EX.

It has plastic flat pedals on it at the moment but I will include a yellow pair of SPD pedals.

The brake hoods and handle bar tape have been removed since the photo was taken as they wore down into a sticky mess that I had to remove. I was going to put yellow bar tape on (you may notice a colour theme going on) but thought I'd leave it bare so the next owner can decide how they want the bike to look.

So if there's someone in Brisbane who would like to buy a Katana send me a message.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 am

how did you post the pic with only 3 posts?

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi everyone

heres one of my favourite bikes, a Shogun something...currently set up as a single speed. I thought it was OK as a beater, until i stripped it to clean etc, and in the process weigh the parts to mainly satisfy a nerdy curiosity. Low and behold, the Shogun frame came in at 2195g/ forks 800g, which kills a number of other bikes i have - even a highly(ish) rated Apollo branded Kuwahara (exo-h tubed). There is no other branding on it other than Shogun name on the head tube and forks.

Id really like to know what model it is if anyone has any idea, and as to whether its particularly special in the Shogun hall of fame. Otherwise, its still a really nice bike to ride, and am thinking about restoring it to its full geared glory (20 speed) with the current wheels which are ok (joytech hubs+Weinman DA22 rims)

Any model advice and/or stabs in the dark would be greatly appreciated.

chop wood

penseleit

Postby penseleit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:40 pm

G'day,

Just bought a 1991 Shogun Ninja from the tip for $70

Made in Taiwan POC

Liteconcept Chromoly Double Butted frame tubes designed in USA (lugged frame)
Cro-Mo Fork
Full Shimano 105 Groupset including front and rear hubs.
Shimano 105 39/53 Crankset
Shimano 12/21 7 Speed Cassette (needs replacing)
All Shimano 105 parts have P year designation which makes them 1991 release
Syntace Aeroshift? Time Trial bars
Levin CD Tange Headset
Sun Mistral Alloy Rims Made in USA - 32 hole with Stainless Steel spokes
Time Challenge Pedals
Selle San Marco Light Concor Saddle
Sakae TCO Sport 6061-T6 Seatpost (dia ?)
IRC Triathlon Duro 700x20C tyres

Serial No. on Head Tube (D or U) 202066 72

Paint: White with thin Green and Brown swirly bits near head tube and bottom bracket.
Can anyone enlighten me with any more information?

What is Liteconcept Chromoly?
The bike is light but nor super light.

I'm going to clean it up and use it for general road riding/commuting.

Since I live in the countryside with a lot of dirt roads hereabouts, I might even put some Vittoria Cross XM Pro 700x32C tyres on it, since some of the best rides around here are half tarmac half gravel.

Will the Liteconcept Chromoly frame be up for that sort of abuse?
I'm pretty sure the fork and seatstays are wide enough for 32C tyres and the brakes have enough clearance as well

Pics before clean up below:

Last edited by penseleit on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miyoko

Postby miyoko » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 am

rustguard wrote:how did you post the pic with only 3 posts?
I just pressed the 'Img' button. Is there meant to be something that stops people posting pictures until they've done more posts? My first post had pictures too (regarding a stolen bike).

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:57 am

landscapecadmonkey wrote:Image
Nice bike!

My stab in the dark:

I reckon she's from the mid-90s. Short dropouts an internal fork lugs (!) would indicate this. The serial number starts with a 3, so perhaps 1993? The absence of mudguard eyelets and Tight geometry (with a capital T) indicates a higher end frame. Probably a couple of hundred grams too heavy for a serious racing machine, but she's definitely no K-mart bike. Most likely made from a decent quality Tange cr-mo tubing. What size seatpost does she take?

Enjoy. 8)

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:12 pm

rkelsen wrote:
My stab in the dark:

I reckon she's from the mid-90s. Short dropouts an internal fork lugs (!) would indicate this. The serial number starts with a 3, so perhaps 1993? The absence of mudguard eyelets and Tight geometry (with a capital T) indicates a higher end frame. Probably a couple of hundred grams too heavy for a serious racing machine, but she's definitely no K-mart bike. Most likely made from a decent quality Tange cr-mo tubing. What size seatpost does she take?

Enjoy. 8)
Thanks for the feedback - seat post is 27mm, but its a very tight fit. It is alot fun to ride - down to the shops and bike track riding with the kids with the occassional commute to work when im not pushed for time. I have a really nice Surly Pacer which i use for my longer rides and most commuting, but would like an older lugged steel bike for distance as well. All my older bikes are garden variety types (see below) running original parts, but i thought there might be one i could do a quality parts build with, then swap them over to a higher end steel frame when i have a better idea what the hell im doing.

thanks again - i think ill use the shogun as the donor bike.....
chop wood

penseleit

Postby penseleit » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:04 am

A few more pics of 1991 Shogun Ninja:

Last edited by penseleit on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

penseleit

Postby penseleit » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:07 am

More pics of 1991 Shogun Ninja:

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:06 am

Hi - first post here. I bought this on the net for AUD50. One owner - said he'd hardly used it since new, since when it's been in a shed. I'd be interested in any information re date etc. The brakes worked but the shifters were seized. I sluiced them out as well as I could with WD40 but didn't try to take them apart. 48 hours later - perfect working order. It's a very nice machine to ride. Both tyres blew on my first outing, so I replaced them, losing the whitewalls unfortunately.

Last edited by stumpjumper on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:18 pm

What a bargain stumpjumper!
May I suggest you avoid big chainring / big cog combination, also small chainring / small cog. "Crosschaining" can cause premature wear to the drivetrain.

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for the tip, Spork!. I'd never thought of that. It's logical though.

I've replaced the old perished tyres in the photos with Vittorio Zaffira tyres. Fairly cheap, but nice and thick. I mainly commute around streets and on tracks through parks so I'm happy to trade weight to get puncture resistance. I'm enjoying this bike more and more. It's a very smooth ride.

My next move will be to buy a Brooks B17 to replace the one I'd had for years which was stolen along with the bike a few years ago... :(

The pictures were taken before I cleaned the bike up. Unfortunately the white 'SHOGUN' lettering came off the adhesive cloth chain guard thing on the stay, but other than that, it came up beautifully. The paintwork has a strange velvety looking low sheen finish.

penseleit

Postby penseleit » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:40 pm

You can roughly figure out the year of manufacture from the date codes on the shimano parts.

See this link:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

petie

Postby petie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Here are some pics of my shogun frame. Any ideas what model it is? There is a Tange champion number 2 sticker on the seat tube (unsure if it is original, but it looks it). Weight would suggest its possible? (somewhere around 2kg without fork, possibly 1.9 from memory?) fork seems heavy (AT) 900g... It has a horrible gold paint job over what appears to be quite a nice dark metallic red. I did have the intention of getting it painted but Then worried if i pulled the headset out i may not be able to find another to suit...? Are nice old school headsets easily available?

Anyway I purchased a second hand Ultegra groupset off a member which im going to put on there and go a bit modern considering its a clean slate. am yet to get the cable adjusters to see how the modern shifting will work, all my "expertise" is in downtube shifters currently :lol: Also, i'm not sure of what to do with the funny open cable guides above the bottom bracket. I feel there will be too much friction to just have the inners running over the bare metal... :?:

Lastly, i have no idea where to source a seatpost bolt, any ideas? All others i have seen are not recessed either side like this one... Seatpost diameter could be anywhere between 26 and 27mm, my vernier calipers are a bit !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! :(

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:51 am

Here,s a couple of the katana that was shown earlier on in this thread. Have to admit this frame is fantastic to ride. :D Image

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm

penseleit wrote:You can roughly figure out the year of manufacture from the date codes on the shimano parts.

See this link:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano
I think its a 99 build,i have one also and there is 99 stamped into the frame along with the serial number
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

harro101

Postby harro101 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:27 pm

awsome forum....
have been buying shogun mountain bikes off ebay past few years
and rebuilding them
got a bit of a collection hap'nin
might have to post a picture or two
since we are shogun lovers, would any one out there
have mid to late 90's catalogs so i can get the models in the right order
anything would be appriciated
keepup the good work
Too..... many bikes, something has to give

plasticmann

Postby plasticmann » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Gidday - First post. I've got a couple of Shoguns that have served us well over teh years. Thought I'd add them to the mix...

Back in Feb 1994 my wife, (then girlfriend), and I bought ourselves Shogun Trailbreaker 3's for our 30th Birthdays. From memory they cost $730 each. I can remember the shortlist was the Shogun's, Apollo, or a Diamond Back. The Shogun won out in the end.

They have been great bikes and I used mine up until 2005 when I finally converted to dual suspension, (Giant NRS 3). But I still enjoy taking the Shogun out for a spin. Its got a great feel about it and I think the Geometry suits me perfectly. Only issues we had with the bikes over the years were both seats busted where they connect to the seat post and the gear shifters started giving issues a few years ago.

some info I pulled off the frame:

Shogun Trailbreaker 3
Made in Taiwan
Cro-Mo Oversize Oval Tubing.
Cro-Mo TIG Handwelded
TIOGA front suspension, (a few cm's of travel and I remember we were very excited when we got it).
Shimano Alivio bits and pieces.
Alivio Parallax Hubs
Araya Japan rims. 26X1.50
Shogun bars, seat and post.

I remember the first time we used it in Feb 1994 was a run down the Oaks on a Saturday and then the Andersons on the Sunday.

I've converted mine to a singles speed, (the one in the pic). I wouldn't mind swapping the suspension fork for a rigid one at some stage. Rides great as a SS. I'll keep my wife's as it is. Just need to replace the gear shifters and the seat and seat post.

cheers - Richard

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:42 pm

harro101 wrote:awsome forum....
have been buying shogun mountain bikes off ebay past few years
and rebuilding them
got a bit of a collection hap'nin
might have to post a picture or two
since we are shogun lovers, would any one out there
have mid to late 90's catalogs so i can get the models in the right order
anything would be appriciated
keepup the good work
I have a catalog from when I bought my Trail Breaker 1 in Nov 1998.
It is titled 1999 Collection.

The comparison specs page lists the bikes as
  • Extreme
    Slick Rock LX, STX, Pro
    Trail Breaker 3, 2, 1, SX, SP
  • Ninja
    Samurai
    Katana
    Metro GS, SE, AT
I will try to scan the entire catalog one day.

BTW My Trail Breaker is still running strong - used as a commuter all last year.
It needed new rear wheel (spokes kept breaking), cassette, chain, chainring/cranks, pedals and more road oriented tyres.
But everything else is original. :wink:

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:42 pm

I scanned in the Shogun 1999 catalog showing geometry and components.
It is available at
http://members.optuszoo.com.au/~am50em/ ... etails.pdf

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:26 pm

am50em wrote:I scanned in the Shogun 1999 catalog showing geometry and components.
It is available at
http://members.optuszoo.com.au/~am50em/ ... etails.pdf
damn this chair is so uncomfortable.........................to lay on,

but thats jus my chair, nice work AM :D
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

thanks for the scan, nice one mate. ive been busting to see it for ages. and it was worth the wait. cheers
steel is the real deal.

curly1

Postby curly1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Here are a few pics of my own Shoguns:

An early 90's Ninja which had the same original paint job as the previous one. Had this since brand new and raced on it for a couple of years, it now is used most days as my main commuter.

A Selectra that has had the single speed treatment. Came across the frame and built it up out of parts that I already had, no original parts were hurt in the making of this project.

An Alpine GT that I plan to use for the coming winters commuter. Just about to start a full overhaul on this bike.

Love this thread, its been a great read.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 am

Metros aint Metros

I have had 5 Metro's.
2 served me well and were passed on to new owners. one is in this thread on page one.
here are the 3 I have left-

This one is tange butted cromo MTB tubes

This one here has 1 1/8 steerer with a nice alloy headset, is quite light for the large size, and quality looking cast dropouts
Nice tubes!!

Love is..........a good bike!