Shogun Appreciation Society

davroos

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby davroos » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi all

I had a Shougun Team Issue mountain bike from 1992, but it got in 1995. In 1996 I went travelling on my pushie and I took a Prarie Breaker which I stripped all the old DX off and placed M900 XTR. The brakes lasted till Munich, I then put new LX V brakes !!! The bike ws ridden loads until I sent it home in 2005. It is now sitting in my Mum's garage !!!

I have no photos but did find a replica on ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shogun-Prair ... 19cd734ef7

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Sublime meets ridiculous - Mounting up the Velocity Deep V wheelset that's been stinking up my shed for 8 months onto my daughters Shogun 200.

Why? I dunno. It's so ridiculous it goes beyond cool.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:23 pm

I note your favourite tyres on there... don't you get on with her? :wink:

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Stuey wrote:I note your favourite tyres on there... don't you get on with her? :wink:
Heh. She rides on a closed crit track up here so there's no glass. Plus there's no way I'm putting the evil things on one of my own bikes :twisted:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:30 am

...and finished. I'm not a huge fan of the paddle shifters but my daughter just couldn't work the campagnolo ergos. Not much room in the cockpit with CX levers and paddle shifters but I can see why they are fitted to the kids fuji racing bikes - so much easier to use for small hands.

Difficulty: I bought those deep V wheels for myself and ordered them with a campagnolo freehub. As it happens, if you use 9 speed campag cogs with 8 speed campag spacers you can fiddle it so that 8 of 9 cogs make a useable cluster for 7 speed shifters. It indexes very precisely using a HG40 shimano chain. I think the cog spacing is a touch out (0.15mm per cog according my calculations) but that doesn't seem to bother the old champage coloured 105 rear derailleur (I'm guessing it's a 7 or 8 speed unit, not really sure). Finished it off with Fizik Microtech tape and I will be buying some of that for myself I think, it's quite nice and looks easy to clean compared to the white Pro tape that was on there.

A big thanks to Reddogbic for sending me the shifters so promptly.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 pm

What sort of shifters are they?

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Stuey wrote:What sort of shifters are they?
I don't know what you call them Stuey - I've only ever seen them on the little kids Fuji roadies although I suspect they show up on hybrids. In this photo they're mounted a touch low, since it was taken I have rotated them around the bars a bit to make it easier to access the lowest gears:

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:49 am

Oh, yeah, I've seen those. I just didn't pick them up in the photo. Easy to see now that I know what I'm looking at.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 pm

My interest in Shoguns is being piqued. The mention of a dent on this one bothers me a little. Sydney though, and my size. I've messaged and asked for a close-up pic/story on it. Shall see. Just CIA-dronin' right now.
What sort of tubing would this level have been made from? Or more information needed from seller before that can be answered, I guess. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:55 am

frailer5 wrote:My interest in Shoguns is being piqued. The mention of a dent on this one bothers me a little. Sydney though, and my size. I've messaged and asked for a close-up pic/story on it. Shall see. Just CIA-dronin' right now.
What sort of tubing would this level have been made from? Or more information needed from seller before that can be answered, I guess. :|
It's a Shogun Tri-Sport - probably double butted 4130 (I don't think they were Infinity but they're definitely not 1020 hi tensile). Nice bike.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:57 am

Just some info on the shifters, from memory they are TY18, i think they are current Tourney stuff. I bought a Schwinn from K Mart a few years ago when i was just getting back into road riding after a big crash, they worked pretty well.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 am

drubie wrote:
It's a Shogun Tri-Sport - probably double butted 4130 (I don't think they were Infinity but they're definitely not 1020 hi tensile). Nice bike.
Thanks for that info.... 8)

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:27 pm

He posted some flickr pics. V minor scrape only. Interesting though, decal in pic says 'seamless', but I can see what looks to be an obvious seam. So probably the rolled/tubed/welded process, which is fine. But what a bicycle marketer, and a steel alloy rolling/extrusion engineer, might call it could be 2 different things.
Very similar running gear to my Perigee; Biopace cranks, Exage indexed setup... I like both.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Posted only cos am actively looking right now.

Samurai_Adelaide

curly1

Postby curly1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:11 pm

My latest addition to the collection, a good clean up, get the seat to the right height and it should be right to go

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 am

That Alpine GT looks extremely cool curly1!

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Sure is easy on the eye.. What is the running gear, front'n'back? And...vintage late-80s?

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:10 am

Can a Shogun aficionado offer an opinion on where Samurai fit in the hierarchy? Am eyeing off a small-framed one for a mate who is quite short in the leg.
Has a Liteconcept/CroMoly/Double-butted frame tubes/Designed in USA badge on seat tube, so assuming it's no slouch.,
Would appreciate some more knowledge so we know where to head with it.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 pm

frailer5 wrote:Can a Shogun aficionado offer an opinion on where Samurai fit in the hierarchy? Am eyeing off a small-framed one for a mate who is quite short in the leg.
Has a Liteconcept/CroMoly/Double-butted frame tubes/Designed in USA badge on seat tube, so assuming it's no slouch.,
Would appreciate some more knowledge so we know where to head with it.
There's a PDF somewhere in this thread of the various models - but the Samurai are normally toward the racier end of the spectrum.

edit:
stumpjumper wrote: The hierarchy (in the 80s and 90s anyway) seems to be from the top:

Team Issue
Ninja
Samurai
Katana
Selectra
Sports

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks drubie. :) Geometry on it looks reasonably tight.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 am

Well, looking on behalf of (short in the leg) mate came to nought. I now realise that down in the shorter sizes that main triangle frame tube dimensions must start shrinking in order to preserve some head tube length. What looked like an OK size bike for him was too big. His measured standover height he says is around 74 cm. The one being watched was 78 cm., though it 'looked' similar to mine, which measures 82 cm. from floor to (top of) top tube. Appearances can be deceptive.

Would have been nice :(

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Not sure if you're aware, but it's meant to be poor form to keep posting eBay auctions on forums which can white-ant those that make an effort to scour eBay for that special bike, just to have it brought to the attention of a larger audience who might just bid the price up.

Not my idea - I've just seen it said on a few forums and it makes sense, I guess.

Just sayin'. :wink:

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Point taken. Shall cease and desist forthwith.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Stuey wrote:Not sure if you're aware, but it's meant to be poor form to keep posting eBay auctions on forums which can white-ant those that make an effort to scour eBay for that special bike, just to have it brought to the attention of a larger audience who might just bid the price up.
Really? People believe this? Do you honestly think that someone looking for a Shogun bike at the same time as you wouldn't have found its listing on ebay too?

Posting ebay links isn't against forum rules. People need to get over themselves. Complaining about stuff like this is just petty.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Hmmm.. don't want to make this a bigger deal than it is, but I think pentlandexile bid on his TI Raleigh after I'd flagged that it was (sadly for me) in Brisbane. :? Different ways to of viewing these matters, I guess. No secrets on the 'net really, anyway.
If it bothers some people, happy to pull my head in. Was looking on behalf of a mate, (see posts above). My assessment was that the info I needed was more valuable than alerting someone who may compete. Risk assessment. :lol:
Storm in a teacup, ultimately.