Shogun Appreciation Society

drubie

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby drubie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 pm

rkelson, you are a gentleman and a scholar, but there is no need to buy it back. I wish I could have used it as the weld spatter on the cyclingdeal fork is a big giveaway that it isn't the right one.

However, I will find a use for it and/or if you need it back before then I'll just post it. I was hoping against hope that the Dura-Ace headset stack height wouldn't be a problem, I did try my best combination of cups/bearings of all sorts of provenance to build the lowest stack height headset possible, but it for naught. Those old school steel headsets with the serrated locking setup are the lowest stack height of the lot!

I am happy that I found a home for the DA headset though. JIS cups, meet JIS frame.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:43 pm

how much superfluous headtube do you have there?

get out the grinder - what could go wrong? 8)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Munga ^ :lol:

So how about some pics of the completed bike, Drubie? :)

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Just got back from it's first outing. Seat is in the wrong spot and the headset is a touch loose. Also a little harsher ride than I expected, but it's much easier to get it close to the same position as my race bike so I think it'll work out quite well.

As you can see, it looks a little rugged in the daylight but the overall effect is quite pleasing: it's like a glossy black Dodge Challenger.

edit: not really sure it qualifies as retro with all that carbon fibre...I like it anyway.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Looks great! Well done. 8)

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:14 pm

rkelsen wrote:Looks great! Well done. 8)
I've been riding it on and off for a while - it's damn nice despite being low-end. I lost the Shogun Showdown preview training rides about 50/50 but I'm hoping to coax out the other Shogun pilot in a week and a half for a crit.

I threw some SKS raceblades on it for some wet weather stuff and it was great. I did get dropped on the local "fast" training ride but I get dropped on that anyway, so it's a no-excuse ride. Never pass up a Shogun frame!

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:16 am

My red Samurai was stolen a few weeks ago, and I've been looking out for a replacement and a stronger cable. I've just bought from Gumtree what looks like an early nineties Shogun Trail Breaker 1. My first off-road type bike. Just going to pick it up - pics soon.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm

I know this is the retro area, but what do people think of the newer carbon Shoguns? I am watching one on ebay which is a 2010 model, full carbon w/ ultegra groupset for a reasonable price ($1000). Not sure if they are any good now as I haven't seen many folk around here with them.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 pm

elStado wrote:I know this is the retro area, but what do people think of the newer carbon Shoguns? I am watching one on ebay which is a 2010 model, full carbon w/ ultegra groupset for a reasonable price ($1000). Not sure if they are any good now as I haven't seen many folk around here with them.
Dunno / not sure.

In ye olde days, Shoguns were always at the value end of the spectrum. They're a nice find at the tip because the steel frames are well made and last a long time. If the same people run Shogun now as in the old days, I would expect the frame to be better than the parts hanging off it but who knows.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:49 pm

My finished Shogun - rides far better than I expected. Turned up to the local road bunch ride today, and surprised most .... :D

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:41 am

Is it just my wishfull thinking or are Shogun road bikes gaining in popularity? nice work too Josh, the tan/creme combination works well with the blue, im sure you were the envy of the crowd during your ride.
steel is the real deal.

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:47 pm

After the theft of my 1991 Shogun Samurai, which I bought in perfect condition from a guy who'd hardly used it since buying it new, I invested $80 in a later model Shogun Trail Breaker 1. I'd be very interested in more information on Trail Breakers. This one is 21 speed.

I agree with druble about the frames and the welds. They're very good. Both this and my previous (I hate thieves) Shoguns have been very comfortable rides.

I need another road bike now, and so another $80 has gone on a 1972 Raleigh Sprite, complete and in good nick, but I'd better shut up about that considering this is the Shogun Appreciation Society.

I wouldn't mind another Samurai or Ninja. The trick is finding a good, cheap one.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm

stumpjumper wrote:After the theft of my 1991 Shogun Samurai, which I bought in perfect condition from a guy who'd hardly used it since buying it new, I invested $80 in a later model Shogun Trail Breaker 1. I'd be very interested in more information on Trail Breakers. This one is 21 speed.
Looks to be in excellent condition.
I also have a Trail Breaker 1 of similar vintage still going strong as my commuter and general fitness machine.
I posted this link before which has some details about TrailBreakers.
http://members.optuszoo.com.au/~am50em/ ... etails.pdf

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks, am50em. That's a pretty useful chart. It helps work out the Shogun hierarchy - katana, samurai. ninja etc.

I'm still wondering what year my bike is.
Last edited by stumpjumper on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I'm still wondering what year my bike is.
Your bike looks to be the same as mine which was a 1999 model.
The PDF was taken from the Shogun 1999 catalog.

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks again!

blick

Postby blick » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:05 pm

am50em wrote:
Your bike looks to be the same as mine which was a 1999 model.
The PDF was taken from the Shogun 1999 catalog.
You wouldn't happen to have a catalog that shows the Shogun 'Team Issue', I'd like to know where it sits in the hierarchy

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 pm

blick wrote:
am50em wrote:
You wouldn't happen to have a catalog that shows the Shogun 'Team Issue', I'd like to know where it sits in the hierarchy
Sorry just the catalog from when I bought my bike and no Team Issue mentioned.
Nice bike!

blick

Postby blick » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeh thanks, I replaced the cables, tyres and brake pads on it and its now my work commuter. Very happy with this curb side pick-up

Seriously considering getting it powder coated too, all those spots of rust are getting to me. I'm just not sure if its worth putting more money into.

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 am

Info repeated later - can't delete the post!
Last edited by stumpjumper on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:30 am

blick - here are some cut and pastes from a few posts on other forums about Shogun Team Issue bikes, which I came across trying to figure out the Shogun hierarchy.

"7005 aluminium 'Team Issue' w/ full 8-spd Campag Athena incl pedals/stem/headset" - nice if that were the case with yours.

"I'd choose the Samurai because it has decidely better components. The Ninja has a slightly "nicer" chainwheel (aka crankset), and that is why it presumably costs more. The Team Issue has better components again, overall."

The hierarchy (in the 80s and 90s anyway) seems to be from the top:

Team Issue
Ninja
Samurai

You could weigh the frame/bike. If it's very light for steel, obviously you've got a good thing.
Last edited by stumpjumper on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 am

by elStado » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm

I know this is the retro area, but what do people think of the newer carbon Shoguns? I am watching one on ebay which is a 2010 model, full carbon w/ ultegra groupset for a reasonable price ($1000). Not sure if they are any good now as I haven't seen many folk around here with them.

I've read that carbon Shoguns are coming from the Merida/Specialized company.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 am

stumpjumper wrote:The hierarchy (in the 80s and 90s anyway) seems to be from the top:

Team Issue
Ninja
Samurai
Katana
Selectra
Sports
That Team Issue bike is a nice example of a top shelf mass produced bike.

It's a steel frame, most likely Tange Prestige and more than likely built by Tange themselves.

As for componentry, it would have had Shimano 600 or 105 as original equipment.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Damn! - Did anyone else see the flouro orange Katana go on eBay for $55 yesterday? The ad is down now. The frame had Shogun stamped into the top of the rear stays.
What was it listed under? I searched under Completed Listings and can't find it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:20 pm

This is a 1994 Metro SE i fixed up for a workmate, the payment was an Apollo Concorde of similar age :D .

Anyone heard of Sovos hubs? they look pretty reasonable to me.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia