Shogun Appreciation Society

munga

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby munga » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm

i picked up a 53cm triple triangle samurai frame recently. unfortunately needs a repaint. has anyone seen shogun decals available?
may just have to get vinyl cut stickers

Santuri32

Postby Santuri32 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:09 pm

I got lucky indeed, then when you said a proper Mountain bike, you answered a question... I wasn't sure if this was originally a road or a MTB since the name suggests road unlike the Prairie Breaker which screams MTB. I am still very curious to learn if the components were hers and indeed these are early MTB. Unlike the components; however, the steel is not the strongest with Mangaloy fork and Tange 2 frame tubes. The chain "cage" is something I have never seen before. So, far apart from the obvious newer saddle all components seem mid 80s. Any body can explain what does model 1 and model 2 implies, is it a different year of the same model or were there different packages, and then what was better, 1, 2 or 3?

Thank you!!! :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Santuri32 wrote:Thank you very much find_bruce. I hope this works:

The pics are not too sharp, but are good enough to see detail.

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/Santur ... slideshow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bike seems similar to Miyatas Trail and Ridge Runners as well as the Stumpjumpers, perhaps done in the same factory in Japan. I will appreciate any information anyone may have on this bike, I will specially enjoy seeing a catalog [wishful thinking :)]

Thanks a bunch!
Pleasure to see such a great old bike

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Not sure if anyones got this catalog or not :

Shogun 1980's? Catalog on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121273533896 ... 1423.l2649

Pics almost big enough for screenshots :D

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Already did the same thing! Bit pricey though; all up from the US about $40. Looks like a 89 catalogue...last of the triple triangle frames. Would love to find one of those Team Issue models..

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:53 pm

I was holding off posting till I actually had the bike.... but now doesn't look like she'll be delivered. Last scanned in Devonport TAS. I'm in Hobart. ALMOST HERE.... but courier company lost it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: (evil icon doesnt justify how pissed I am) but now just sad.... If anyone sees something similar please let me know, there is a distinguishing mark, and they are getting pretty rare to find.

Now all I have is paperwork and claim forms to get my $$ back from e-go.... IT WAS ALMOST MINE.... ALMOST.... :cry: :cry:

harro101

Postby harro101 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:48 pm

who got the catalog?...............

it's been relisted, so does he have more than 1
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-1980 ... 1c3cb365c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might track down the feedback to see what happened
maybe i can persuade the buyer to post a pdf
Too..... many bikes, something has to give

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Given the interest in Shogun catalogues I have looked in the drawer to see what I have.
I have decided to give them away :) (postage and envelope cost to the "purchaser").
Several batches
Batch one: Shogun 1999 catalogue----- postage cost $2
Batch two: Shogun 1997, 1999 catalogues----------- postage cost $2
Batch three: Shogun 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and one with no date but top of range bike is prairie breaker XTR (early 2000s??) ----- postage cost $5SOLD pending payment

PM if interested. First in gets the best.
I would prefer you to mail me a $2 coin or $5 note to pay.
Small costs but they add up.

cycles gitane (who has several Shoguns in the shed)
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:51 pm

minhyy wrote:90s welded cro-mo Samurai running a mix of 105, 400ex, RX100, Cyclone. Reliable commuter

it's not a commuter without ugly flat pedals :wink:
Nice bike Minh.

harro101

Postby harro101 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm

hi cycles gitane

can't get my PM through
what have i done wrong??????
says no user exists???????
msg :The requested users to be added do not exist

am interested in a 1997 catalog
so batch 2 is the go for me

if you still have it
hold it for me
send me your details
i'll get the 2$ over ASAP

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 pm

cycles gitane wrote:Given the interest in Shogun catalogues I have looked in the drawer to see what I have.
I have decided to give them away :) (postage and envelope cost to the "purchaser").
Several batches
Batch one: Shogun 1999 catalogue----- postage cost $2
Batch two: Shogun 1997, 1999 catalogues----------- postage cost $2SOLD pending payment
Batch three: Shogun 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and one with no date but top of range bike is prairie breaker XTR (early 2000s??) ----- postage cost $5SOLD pending payment

PM if interested. First in gets the best.
I would prefer you to mail me a $2 coin or $5 note to pay.
Small costs but they add up.

cycles gitane (who has several Shoguns in the shed)
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

Mountcyclo

Postby Mountcyclo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Was wandering around the local recycling centre and in amongst the array of dilapidated rusting bicycles stumbled across this Shogun which is a Trailbreaker 2.
Although once a prized machine fitted with a Cateye speedo and two bottle holders had long fallen from its pride. A pretty sad looking and run down bike.
Even in its dilapidated state could see its "old school" frame and forks which I quite like.
A size to large for me but bought it cheaply and after a good scrub with solvent, kero and a polish was surprised how well it came up.
The chain is stretched, still can be ridden and when the cleanup was finished took it for a run out onto a dirt road with a good corrugated section.
Was surprised as to how stable the Shogun was even when pedaling as fast as I could over the corrugations. A bone shaker of a ride still the bike kept a straight line.
As the bike is to large will have to sell it and as I want a good dirt road tourer will keep a look out for another more suitable Shogun.

harro101

Postby harro101 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

looks like nice vintage machine
which recyling center? and
how much did you take it away for?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Mountcyclo wrote:after a good scrub with solvent, kero and a polish was surprised how well it came up.
Yep it did come up very nicely

Mountcyclo

Postby Mountcyclo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Sorry for the delay, other computer issues intervened and thanks for putting up the photo.

Pity it is to large for me and will be sorry to see it go as like that style of frame.

Will look around for a smaller Trail Breaker hopefully with a 32 tooth rear sprocket on the rear for those really steep climbs. With front and rear panniers would make a nice dirt road tourer.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Mountcyclo wrote:Sorry for the delay, other computer issues intervened and thanks for putting up the photo.

Pity it is to large for me and will be sorry to see it go as like that style of frame.

Will look around for a smaller Trail Breaker hopefully with a 32 tooth rear sprocket on the rear for those really steep climbs. With front and rear panniers would make a nice dirt road tourer.
Your welcome - I explained how I made your picture work on your other post. Me I am hanging out for a nice prairie breaker

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:12 pm

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr29 ... GP3075.jpg
was this purple Shogun Metro a male or female frame?

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:17 pm

rustguard wrote:Metros aint Metros

was this purple frame Shogun Metro a male or female frame? year?

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:57 pm

hi mate, it was a male frame, 56cm seat tube from memory? metro's varied alot I think. having owned and rode quite a few. This one had more BB drop than others I had owned, maybe a slight more angle on the steerer too? I sold this for around 30 with the rack and a couple of other parts.
I have on metro left. It has butted tubing and 1 1/8" steerer. probably one of the last steel metros?

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:24 pm

I thought I knew most of my Shogun road bike models...
Just picked up a Shogun "Selectra" road bike from evilBay, but unfortunately missing wheels but in very good original condition. Just wondering whereabouts it sits in the range. Has Tange Infinity tubing and "Made in Japan" on the front. Seems to be a 85-86? model year? I know they start at:
Sport
Custom Sport
Selectra (I think)
Katana
Samurai
Ninja
I'll post pics as soon as it's light outside...

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Heres the pic:

smg01f

Postby smg01f » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:16 pm

G'day All

Great thread, reading about all the different Shogun models.

Back in the day I poured over the Shogun catalogue for months and months trying to justify which model was the best value that was somewhere near the budget. In the end I scored a Prairie Breaker Pro for my 21st (as seen in the image below, ignore the bloke in the retro Addidas gear and the reflectors, still got the Bell V1-Pro in the shed). The Pro was purchased in late 1991, so I presume that is the model year. Unfortunately it was stolen out of the garage 2 years later after been ridden everywhere: to uni, all over town and the escarpment around Wollongong. Over the years I have been looking out for a replacement as it was my first real MTB. Through searches on the web I have not seen any examples in the same colour way as this one. I'm interested in finding something similar to it soon, as a few mates and I are riding examples of our first MTB's in the Highland Fling race in Bundanoon (Southern Highlands, NSW) in early November. If any one has any suggestions on where to find one, or may consider parting with one in a medium (18") size it would be great to hear from you.

floody

Postby floody » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:02 pm

I think I'll do something with my '93 Prairie Breaker Pro pretty soon. I don't think I'll be able to replicate the linear fade paint, so I was thinking of a solid color with some vinyl cut graphics based on the 90-92 models (I think the typefaces and stuff were a bit nicer) and an all Japanese build (e.g. Tioga, Araya, dia compe), probably with 735 XT rather than 560 LX. So any large pics showing all the lettering/decals on the Pro/Team models would be excellent, especially the fork and seat tube decals and the 'prairie breaker' typeface, if anyone can help.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Took some pics of my 91 Team Issue; some of the decals are in pretty average condition.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 am

Hmmm. Tasty, Tange Prestige.