Shogun Appreciation Society

Worldofdub

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby Worldofdub » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Cheers, I'll see how I get on once I've got the remaining bits to convert it back to geared.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Selling my mid-90s Trail Breaker 4, Perth

BNA gets free shot before it goes on Gumtree :)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=76414

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:27 pm

I just fixed this bike up for my partner to use as a commuter. Found it on gumtree in a semi functional state.

RSX groupset 7 speed sti shifters. Just installed a 12-28 cassette to give it more suitable gear ratios for my partner. Also put on an old basket and rack for her.

It's an old Shogun Samuri Sti. No idea how what age it is.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Love the basket.

Worldofdub

Postby Worldofdub » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Looks similar to my Katana (see above) general consensus was that it was mid-90s.

I'm currently trying to get the STI levers working properly, if anyone has any tips for this (I suspect patience is needed) it would be most appreciated.

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Worldofdub wrote:Looks similar to my Katana (see above) general consensus was that it was mid-90s.

I'm currently trying to get the STI levers working properly, if anyone has any tips for this (I suspect patience is needed) it would be most appreciated.
RSX sti shifters? Pull the brakes on try to see where the shifting gear thingy is. Just blast it with heaps of rp7 multipurpose lubricant or some thing else the same. keep trying to shift spray again. eventually it will start to index again. then throw a bit of chain lube down it if you wish. basically the stock standard shimano grease turns hard and you need to blast it with rp7 to brake it down so the racket mech becomes freed up again. So this is actually a really easy way to fix it. This is what I did to get the rsx brifters shifting again anyway.

Worldofdub

Postby Worldofdub » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 pm

I bought some new 7 speed Tourney brifters & am being incompetent at getting the shifting lined up. Some time away & a calmer head might be the answer ;o)

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 am

PatNZ wrote:I just fixed this bike up for my partner to use as a commuter. Found it on gumtree in a semi functional state.

RSX groupset 7 speed sti shifters. Just installed a 12-28 cassette to give it more suitable gear ratios for my partner. Also put on an old basket and rack for her.

It's an old Shogun Samuri Sti. No idea how what age it is.

refer to above, I had the same one as this - it's circa 1995
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:55 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Love the basket.
it's not very big. couldn't you find a larger one? :shock:
steel is the real deal.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:23 pm

must be fun to swing your leg over

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:14 pm

munga wrote:must be fun to swing your leg over
:shock: Yes, despite the passing of years, I am that immature
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Worldofdub

Postby Worldofdub » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Much progress on the Katana, this is now the poshest of all my bikes. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Finally got one! 1992 Prairie Breaker Team

I've been after this bike for a while now.... had one shipped a few months ago in ok condition, but that got "lost" by the couriers grrr.

This one is in fantastic condition for a bike thats over 20 yo. Some scratching on the rear stay that has surface rust, paint chipping here and there but overall I cant believe how clean it is! Really doesnt look like it been used that much, or even offroad!

This came from gumtree on sydney, from a guy who knew what it was, but also has the integrity to follow though on a deal we had made. I need shipping to Hobart, and a day later he had an offer from a guy in canberra ready to drive and match the price (sorry mate its mine :twisted: :twisted:) But thanks Wayne, he stuck to our deal, got it packed and sent.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm not into mountain bikes, and prefer brazing and lugs to TIG, but dammm.... that Prairie Breaker Team is NICE.

Could you perhaps post a picture of the sticker near the top of the seat tube?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:39 pm

It is in very good nick.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:25 pm

yugyug wrote:I'm not into mountain bikes, and prefer brazing and lugs to TIG, but dammm.... that Prairie Breaker Team is NICE.

Could you perhaps post a picture of the sticker near the top of the seat tube?
Not sure who Justice Bros were. Original owner doesnt remember where he got it from. Maybe some retro sydney MTBers might know this store?

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:14 am

Thanks. I've always wondered about the American-Australian link with Shogun bikes, and just thought the sticker might have something to do with it. Is there another flag on the right side of the logo, out of view?

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 am

yugyug wrote:Thanks. I've always wondered about the American-Australian link with Shogun bikes, and just thought the sticker might have something to do with it. Is there another flag on the right side of the logo, out of view?
There are a few shoguns in the states, but seems to be because of personal import rather than distribution.

The JB logo is a motorsport manufacturer. eg oils etc

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=just ... 4&bih=1228

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks. Though there was organized distribution of shoguns in the us, with similar frames but with head badges and number designations instead of names like ninja, samurai etc.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:02 pm

yugyug wrote:Thanks. Though there was organized distribution of shoguns in the us, with similar frames but with head badges and number designations instead of names like ninja, samurai etc.
I thought i recognised some of the triple triangle road bikes..? But thought they may have been early GTs. But now that you mention it, very shogunish.

What badge were they under?

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 am

There was a yank who posted one several pages back - head badge said shogun and had a stereotypical illustration of a samurai/shogun type character.

But you know, though it's been claimed, I've not entirely convinced it was the same company or isn't just a coincidence. They share some frame similarities but so did dozens of Japanese and then Taiwanese made frames in the 80s and 90s. Shogun Australia is still around though, and I guess they would know.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Great score Simon...looks in excellent condition!

Still looking for a 87-88 PB TI in a 21-22" frame size... had a guy email me from the States with one, but hasn't got back to me with shipping quotes. Probably passed out when he got one as he hasn't been in contact for a while. :(

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Triple Triangle Shogun Samurai in VIC.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/road-bike-SH ... 6c9&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:58 pm

A Shogun 1989 catalog just got sold on ebay, missed it, but am interested because I have that year's Ninja. Nice to confirm that the years "galactic black" painted frame was built with Tange Prestige. There seems to be no Team Issue in the catalog that year so perhaps thats why it wasn't Tange 1 or 2.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:32 pm

yugyug wrote:A Shogun 1989 catalog just got sold on ebay, missed it, but am interested because I have that year's Ninja. Nice to confirm that the years "galactic black" painted frame was built with Tange Prestige. There seems to be no Team Issue in the catalog that year so perhaps thats why it wasn't Tange 1 or 2.
89 Ninja. I know it well. I used to ride to school on my TrailBreaker and dream about owning a ninja. Then one of the gr12 had one.... I was so jealous, looked at it everyday! That's next on the list. If anyone has one to sell? 58cm + At least now I know the year, and Tange Prestige awesome.

yugyug have you posted any pics up of the ninja?