Saro28

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby Saro28 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm

your using the URL tab to post link. Use the image tab
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

galavoxx

Postby galavoxx » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm

After finding a beat up pink and grey Ninja I did some searching and found this forum. I've been lurking for awhile but I finally got my Ninja together and wanted to share a few pics. Enjoy.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:02 am

Looks good.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:10 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Looks good.
+1. What's the story with the cranks, are they compact (50-34) or something a bit different, looks like a very big difference between the two?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:29 am

They are White industries cranks Lachie.

http://www.whiteind.com/cranks/roadcranks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can configure them to pretty much any chainring combo you like, depending on your front derailleur and rear derailleur capacities.

I actually think Galavoxx must be really at the limit of his rear derailleurs max chainwrap with that combo. The inner looks like a 32t. Mind you the dog ring may only be a 48t. I am sure he will chip in.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:15 am

Very interesting, one of those "why didn't they think of that before" ideas. If i had more money than sense i'd splash out and get a White freewheel for my Dawes, just for the sound :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:20 am

I use to have one on my old single speed mountain bike. They do sound great.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:19 am

Welcome to the forums Galavoxx, you certainly know how to make an entrance - you have done a great job on your ninja. And thanks to your pics & spinglespeedscott's link, I might have found the cranks I have been looking for, but for the price

Anyone know a cheap source for the cranks ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

munga

Postby munga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 pm

find_bruce wrote:... I might have found the cranks I have been looking for, but for the price

yeah man, just google "in your dreams"

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 pm

find_bruce wrote:Welcome to the forums Galavoxx, you certainly know how to make an entrance - you have done a great job on your ninja. And thanks to your pics & spinglespeedscott's link, I might have found the cranks I have been looking for, but for the price

Second hand on ebay US.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 pm

munga wrote:
find_bruce wrote:... I might have found the cranks I have been looking for, but for the price

yeah man, just google "in your dreams"
Thanks for the laughs munga, I was intending cheap in a relative sense, but you make a good point
Anything you can do, I can do slower

galavoxx

Postby galavoxx » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks all. Cranks are definitely White Industries ENO. Although I'm not sure why they aren't called "ONE". I found the arms on eBay for $100 and then had to buy the 48t chainring and bolts from White. All in, I think the crankset cost me as much as the price of the bike I started with, about $160. The smaller ring is a 74mm 30t Specialites that I had to dremel to get to fit. But it was $7 new. I also had a little trouble with the headset. I bought a 1" Interloc Tange headset that I thought should have fit but the lower race was way too small. Maybe one of you can explain why. I had to split it with the dremel to make it work. Even with the 18t spread, the shifting is good although I put a chain helper on just to make sure I don't drop on the downshift. It rides amazing. I had already been riding it before the upgrades, 45 miles to work a couple of times a week. I really liked the bike so rather than buy a whole new setup, I just painted and replaced a few items. :) A couple more pics.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:48 pm

galavoxx wrote: I bought a 1" Interloc Tange headset that I thought should have fit but the lower race was way too small. Maybe one of you can explain why. I had to split it with the dremel to make it work.
That's because the Shogun uses a JIS headset. 27.0 mm crown race and 30.0 mm steerer ID. A ISO headset, what you installed, is 26.4mm crown race 30.2mm steerer ID.

galavoxx

Postby galavoxx » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 am

I thought it might be JIS but I wanted the bike together so badly I made the mistake of hacking it on there.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Just finished a crude restore of the Trail Breaker 3 I bought all the way from Perth a while back and just managed today to sort of finish it. Some parts had to be changed as they were a bit too far gone..like the brake levers. Luckily I found a while back an old 80's un-named MTB with an Exage Mountain groupset and unfortunately cracked frame on a nature strip near my workplace! It kindly offered it's parts for this assembly. I'm thinking this is an 87 model...had the same one when I was 13 (26 years ago) but with a smaller 21" frame as this is a 23". Took it for a ride and its awesome except for the worn cassette/chain!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Dimitrizee wrote: Image
Love it.

Viva the vintage MTB.

Scammer

Postby Scammer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi new on the Shogun Ap Soc so be gentle!
Looking at purchasing what is claimed to be a (repainted) Shogun Ninja, the seller claims that tubing is Tange Prestige CroMo and is definatly lugged, does this ring true? Groupset was originally Shimano 600 tricolour (I lIke this groupset), but I wouldn't mind building up a tasty simple single speed for getting round town. Mostly just checking on the tubing as not much else does or wil remain standard, but any info on this model would be appreciated as I can't seem too find much via google .. Cheers.
PS it's not the triple triangle variety.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 am

Just picked up an old Trailbreaker 3 which I'm planning to use as a fireroads bike. Tubing is Tange MTB and the serial is P76NO2906. Anyone know what year that would be? I'm thinking mid-90s?
Long day's journey into alt-bars

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Post a piccie and I'll take a stab.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:53 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Post a piccie and I'll take a stab.
Here you go. My first ever mountain bike ( well actually I permanently 'borrowed' it from my girlfriend) was a Shogun, happy memories.

It's the one Munga flagged up on the ebay thread. Logos are painted, not decals. Cable guides look they've been welded on by Shrek.

image by benatherton71, on Flickr

jozz

Postby jozz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:37 pm

I've got an old Shogun Katana. I have no idea what year, but it's definitely made in Taiwan. Serial is U20207766.
It's in poor condition, there is quite a bit of rust especially on the components, bolts etc. The frame itself I think isn't too bad.

It has Exage 400EX front & rear derailleurs with Shimano 105 downstem shifters.

I don't know whether it's worth hanging onto & fixing up or if I should give up on it and look for something else ...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I would say late 90's. Check the date code on the back of the Shimano cranks and go to this web page:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:43 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I would say late 90's. Check the date code on the back of the Shimano cranks and go to this web page:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I reckon you're right ... there's no rear cable guide for a cantilever brake for a start. Well past the glory days then.. I'll build it up and see how it rides.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm

pentlandexile wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I would say late 90's. Check the date code on the back of the Shimano cranks and go to this web page:

I reckon you're right ... there's no rear cable guide for a cantilever brake for a start. Well past the glory days then.. I'll build it up and see how it rides.
i reckon early 90's. if you're not that keen on it, i'd say flip it before you sink too much into it. maybe go singlespeed?
what's the tubeset?