Shogun Appreciation Society

skyblot

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby skyblot » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 pm

I've been clearing out my Dad's shed, is there likely to be any interest in a Shogun Ground Breaker frame? 54cm, white, late '80's or early 90's if my memory is correct. I fear the rest of the bike is long dispersed, but the frame is pretty good. I'm not convinced it is one of the "collectables".....

coolbull

Postby coolbull » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:08 am

Hi all you shogun fans, I was wondering if someone recognize this mtb model from the photo. It seems they are really cheap from second hand (I saw a few of them on aftermarket from time to time) so I assume they are cheap taiwan made ones and not the old vintage models. Anyone know something more about it? How old these models can be? Anyone owns similar one?

Sample photo from internet.

davidfntau

Postby davidfntau » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:40 pm

I've been riding the flouro orange (now faded to a kind of pink) Shogun Katana which I bought new some time back when it was the latest thing. It was the lightest Bike I'd ever ridden. I had to replace the bottom bracket in the first year because it had completely broken down, possibly no grease. It was my main commuting bike for a few years, had many flats in that time!
The frame dimensions are perfect for me but she's done many miles and getting very long in the tooth. The bottom bracket is due for another replacement and I'm tossing up wether or not to keep her. Having found this forum I don't think I can part with the bike!Image

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:03 pm

I like it how the fluro has faded to dusty pink. Tres retro chic.

I'd give it a strip down, clean and rebuild with new wheels, saddle and bar tape.

davidfntau

Postby davidfntau » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Well I rode it to work today and after the front blew out my priority was a new tire and tube.... Next will be the bottom bracket and if it roles straight that'll do. ;) Rat bike

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 pm

davidfntau wrote:Well I rode it to work today and after the front blew out my priority was a new tire and tube.... Next will be the bottom bracket and if it roles straight that'll do. ;) Rat bike
If one tyre blew out I would have a very good look at the other one. They are probably the same age. It might be safer to get a pair of new tyres. Rubber items don't last forever. They go hard, crack and perish after about ten years. Perhaps less if left in the sunlight. A new set of brake blocks might be a worth while investment also. They shouldn't cost much.

floody

Postby floody » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Simon hooked me up with a 1990 Prairie Breaker Team Issue. Paint is pretty stuffed and most fasteners are pretty corroded but that's no big deal. Serviced it up, slung on some Specialized Storm Controls (from 1992) and replaced the period correct but horrible Vetta Gel saddle with a Super Turbo, otherwise it's as original as they come. Fun bike! Wheelies great! This will be my rider because my '92 Mongoose IBOC Team is really too rare and high strung for a fat bloke to be thrashing.

calblam

Postby calblam » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:00 pm

I have an early 80s Shogun Alpine GT - Japanese, Tange. All of the drivetrain and gears (that sugino cycloid touring stuff) is running really nice!

So I would like to make it shine and rebuild it as my cross-townie (to complement the single speed now that I no longer have a car).

It has tektro cantis and original 27" wheels. Would like to convert from 27" to 700c wheelset.

Guys at LBS said at a glance it wouldn't work with the cantis, but I am not convinced. I have seen references to it being possible but not finding a resource pointing to what might work or how I can work out what might work.

Any ideas out there? Would prefer to stay with cantis, of some sort, but its not the only option I guess. Definitely do however want to get away from 27".

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Not much experience with cantis but I guess it's just a question of seeing if they can be adjusted down to fit the slightly lower diameter of 700c. Nice bike. Congrats on giving up the car. :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:21 pm

calblam wrote:I have an early 80s Shogun Alpine GT - Japanese, Tange. All of the drivetrain and gears (that sugino cycloid touring stuff) is running really nice!

So I would like to make it shine and rebuild it as my cross-townie (to complement the single speed now that I no longer have a car).

It has tektro cantis and original 27" wheels. Would like to convert from 27" to 700c wheelset.

Guys at LBS said at a glance it wouldn't work with the cantis, but I am not convinced. I have seen references to it being possible but not finding a resource pointing to what might work or how I can work out what might work.

Any ideas out there? Would prefer to stay with cantis, of some sort, but its not the only option I guess. Definitely do however want to get away from 27".
It depends on what brand of canti's you use. Some models may have enough adjustment in them to reach down to the 700c rims

calblam

Postby calblam » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:27 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
calblam wrote:I have an early 80s Shogun Alpine GT - Japanese, Tange. All of the drivetrain and gears (that sugino cycloid touring stuff) is running really nice!

It depends on what brand of canti's you use. Some models may have enough adjustment in them to reach down to the 700c rims
It works! Had a 700c on the front today. All good, room to adjust. Sadly though, the reach is not faring well for me. 56 seat tube, 57 top-tube. Just a tad too much for me with the drops, which is what I really want for this bike. It's going back up to flea bay or via the forums here. I'm a bit sad its pretty sweet (as a bit of a sad nut for vintagey things) but NQR for my needs.

coln72

Postby coln72 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:59 pm

No photos yet, but I am the proud owner of two Shoguns.

The first one is a Shogun Samari that I bought for my wife to compete on back in the 2000's.

The second Shogun in a 1980's Sport that was given to us. I have been slowly rebuilding it for my son to ride. It features a Tange frame, Araya rims, Simano STS(?) shifter/derailer. It seems to be a very unusual bike as it has a a 27 x 1 1/4 rear rim and a 24 x 1 1/4 front rim. Unfortunately, now where I tried could supply a tyre to suit the original front rim, so that has been replaced with a 24 x 1 3/8 rim and tyre. Everything else, apart from a couple of gear cables, has been polished up and reused.

commando

Postby commando » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:40 am

Hey Guys,

I picked up a Prairie Breaker frame from Adelaide Community Bicycle Workshop, where I volunteer, and just want to get an idea of what year and model it might be. I've checked out some of the online catalogues but not getting an exact match. I think it's a 'Pro', as that's what the ST sticker says, but not sure if that's to do with the 'Tig' welding etc. The FD cable routes along the TT and then down the ST and through a pulley near the bottom (I have the wheel). The frame is in pretty rough shape and worse still is the seat post which appears to be way too big and is well stuck. Check out the photos:

Image Image

Image Image

beclewis

Postby beclewis » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:27 pm

Here's my Shogun Team Issue. It was the first road bike I ever bought new and have had it since! I think it's 1998 or thereabouts?

Always kept inside, so is in perfect condition! It's now my about town bike and have converted it over to a single speed.

floody

Postby floody » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:52 am

commando wrote:Hey Guys,

I picked up a Prairie Breaker frame from Adelaide Community Bicycle Workshop, where I volunteer, and just want to get an idea of what year and model it might be. I've checked out some of the online catalogues but not getting an exact match. I think it's a 'Pro', as that's what the ST sticker says, but not sure if that's to do with the 'Tig' welding etc. The FD cable routes along the TT and then down the ST and through a pulley near the bottom (I have the wheel). The frame is in pretty rough shape and worse still is the seat post which appears to be way too big and is well stuck. Check out the photos:
Reckon it's a 1991 Prairie Breaker Pro. I imagine it would take a 26.8 post. Any idea if the rear brake mount is for a U-brake or canti?

Basically it's the point between the Trail Breaker and the Japanese made Prairie Breaker Team Issue; still made in Taiwan ROC like the Trail Breaker 3, but nicer tubing, detail and geometry more like the Prairie Breaker Team Issue.

commando

Postby commando » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:58 am

floody wrote: Reckon it's a 1991 Prairie Breaker Pro. I imagine it would take a 26.8 post. Any idea if the rear brake mount is for a U-brake or canti?

Basically it's the point between the Trail Breaker and the Japanese made Prairie Breaker Team Issue; still made in Taiwan ROC like the Trail Breaker 3, but nicer tubing, detail and geometry more like the Prairie Breaker Team Issue.
Cool, thanks Floody.
Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, just couldn't let it go to waste. I've got the little FD cable guide wheel too.

petie

Postby petie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:25 pm

So just starting my Shogun build, frame was a gift from a mate that I've had sitting around for years. Need a roadie and thought I'd build this up. Had it straightened/re-spaced by Oaksport out at St Leonards then powdercoated (not the best job I've ever seen, but passable). Not sure what model, but had a Tange Champion sticker somewhere under the crappy re-spray and a 26.8mm seat tube, so no reason to doubt the sticker. Fork is around 800g and frame is around 2300g.

Current issues are finding a seatpost binder bolt and seatpost. The frame has recessed bolt holes either side and I haven't even come close to finding something suitable. Does anyone have any links?? Apart from that it's just dithering over whether to build up with the well used 9 speed ultegra group, or give it the royal treatment and buy a new groupset. Thoughts anyone? Hoping to black out as much as possible to counter the fluoro orange....!

petie

Postby petie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:12 pm

petie wrote: Current issues are finding a seatpost binder bolt and seatpost. The frame has recessed bolt holes either side and I haven't even come close to finding something suitable. Does anyone have any links??
just bumping this up, I'm drawing blanks at every turn with the seatpost binder bolt....!!!! :cry:

gm6046

Postby gm6046 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:44 pm

petie wrote:just bumping this up, I'm drawing blanks at every turn with the seatpost binder bolt....!!!! :cry:
If you have the dimensions of the bits you need I'll machine up some new ones for you.

petie

Postby petie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:05 am

gm6046 wrote:
petie wrote:just bumping this up, I'm drawing blanks at every turn with the seatpost binder bolt....!!!! :cry:
If you have the dimensions of the bits you need I'll machine up some new ones for you.
WOW! thanks heaps, I'll send you a PM!

Paulfs67

Postby Paulfs67 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Here's my Pairie Breaker Expert, 91 I think, had it since new, still a nice ride
with a few changes

On another note, does anyone have any info about a Prairie Breaker Team Issue with a 24" front wheel?

Champenstein

Postby Champenstein » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:51 pm

petie wrote:
petie wrote: Current issues are finding a seatpost binder bolt and seatpost. The frame has recessed bolt holes either side and I haven't even come close to finding something suitable. Does anyone have any links??
just bumping this up, I'm drawing blanks at every turn with the seatpost binder bolt....!!!! :cry:
On my Celeste Beau I ended up using an allen nut taken from a v-brake pad with a suitable sized allen bolt. You can get some nice chrome ones too if you look around. Works well and the only thing I found to fit.

petie

Postby petie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:41 pm

Champenstein wrote:
petie wrote:
On my Celeste Beau I ended up using an allen nut taken from a v-brake pad with a suitable sized allen bolt. You can get some nice chrome ones too if you look around. Works well and the only thing I found to fit.
Thanks for that, I discovered that and it got me through until Stu's specially machined nut arrived!

roosta

Postby roosta » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:56 pm

After scouring the interwebs for information on my newly acquired 'vintage' Shogun MTB's, this is the best one-stop-shop I can find. Thank you to all the contributors - in particular the people who have posted the 80's and 90's sales brochures. I have used these to date my recent purchases to a 1996 Shogun Trailbreaker 3 and a 1992 Shogun Trailbreaker 2 (complete with 'wired electric white' paint).

Im still yet to date my Shogun Trailbreaker 1 frame, but im guessing the lovely pink factory paint will narrow down the years.

As soon as i get my post count up I will return to post some pictures to help others, and to provide some more eye candy for all the shogun lovers.

coln72

Postby coln72 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any decent photos of the Shogun logo on the fork tube or any other logos/stickers. Stupid me forgot to take pictures before the repaint :roll:
Any help would be great.
Colin