yugyug

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby yugyug » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeah looks awesome!

Lan is listening

Postby Lan is listening » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:18 pm

simon.young wrote:Add another shogun Team Issue to the shed :D

I think it's a 1989 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue. Date codes are mid 89. The serial starts in 89********

But without a catalog....

Has had rapidfire pod replaced with thumbie, and rapidfire mount ground off! DOH! And apart from the tyres, stem / bar is great original condition!

I'm fairly sure this is a 1990 as the 89's had the triple triangle.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Lan is listening wrote:I'm fairly sure this is a 1990 as the 89's had the triple triangle.
Yea I wondered about that. Do you have a catalog or anything that would confirm its a 1990? Any details appreciated.

I have these 2 PBti.

Purple / Green : 89 Shimano dates + 89***** serial # (could easily be 1990)
Green / Black: I have a UK mag review from Jan 1991. Shimano dates 90. It has serial 90****** (Maybe the review was when it was brand new?)

rollin

Postby rollin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:22 pm

My old tourer from 89 now in for sale ( shameless)

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:02 am

simon.young wrote: Yea I wondered about that. Do you have a catalog or anything that would confirm its a 1990? Any details appreciated.

I have these 2 PBti.

Purple / Green : 89 Shimano dates + 89***** serial # (could easily be 1990)
Green / Black: I have a UK mag review from Jan 1991. Shimano dates 90. It has serial 90****** (Maybe the review was when it was brand new?)
After speaking to the previous owner, the Purple / Green is a 1990. So maybe the serials aren't dates like I had hoped. Seems quite a coincidence that each PBti has serial numbers that correspond to shimano date codes. Maybe it's make year, not catalog year?

I wonder if that is the same for the ninja? It serial starts with S0****** and has 1990 date codes

Anyone else got shogun serial numbers and shimano date codes? not worried about model, but similar year would be great!

TopSide

Postby TopSide » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:00 pm

simon.young wrote:
simon.young wrote: Anyone else got shogun serial numbers and shimano date codes? not worried about model, but similar year would be great!
I have a Prairie Breaker Pro frame, sn: 90H2388. When I found the frame it had some components but I have not checked the Shimano date codes. The serial number's first two digits indicates that the frame was made in 1990. So the bicycle could be a model year 1990 or 1991.

Shogun, the brand name, at various times has had frames made by several different manufacturers in Japan, Taiwan and probably China. Each frame manufacturer has used its own serial number format. I am not sure which manufacturer made the Prairie Breakers with the serial format of my frame.

There are a set of frame serial numbers that start with "S". I believe that the first digit after the "S" indicates the year that the frame was made. I do not know who manufactured these frames.

Some of the frame manufacturers for Shogun where Miki and Yamiguchi of Japan, and Merida of Taiwan.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Ninja out for a commute. I love riding steel! Thanks for the bars QV.

Need to find original rear wheel, but without markings on the front rim, may be a hard task.

The low gearing threw me a bit. Esp over the tasman bridge.... may have to swap out rear cassette.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Hey simon what kind of pedals are u using there?

By the way did I mention that my ninja has this weird suntour freewheel/freehub thing? I'm not fully sure why it's so unique, but I was lucky to find cogs and spacers for it in the US, so I could put a 30t on the back. Not sure if it's original or not because I think the velocity runs attached to it aren't, but it could be I suppose.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:39 pm

I remember you mentioning that suntour rear. My front hub is 105 and seems correct vintage, if only I could id the rim. Might have to take some pics and see if anyone on here can.

The pedals are not vintage correct :( Crank Bros Acid. Nice wide platform and use them one most of my bikes.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:53 pm

Nice bike simon, to me that doesn't look like it has a low gear :oops:
LG = Low Gear

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Simon, are they like these? I have unlaced these rims(IIRC 32h and 36h). Build it up with a 1055/1056 rear hub, and you've got a matching wheelset. Just message me for more info on them. I dunno what they are, but look like your front rims.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

floody

Postby floody » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 pm

I have had a pretty thorough look over my circa '93 (to my knowledge) Prairie Breaker Pro frame and it has no serial number at all. Seems a bit odd.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:08 pm

1987 Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro (not mine) from Spike of Roadbikereview.com who also provided a scan of 1987 Mountain Biking Magazine (US) review of this Shogun PB Pro. Potentially different from the OZ model. Looks like a different headbadge, the US one as we've discussed before.

Click through to flickr for more pics and the whole review.

floody

Postby floody » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 pm

The '87 is interesting, it has a lot of visual similarities with the Bridgestone MB of the same year looking at the dropouts, the top of the rear stays and the cable routing. It's not the same but there are enough similarities that you'd almost have to think they were built by the same firm.

zzhou

Postby zzhou » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi everyone not sure if this is the right place for this sort of question please let me know if it's not :?

I recently acquired a bike, which I think is a Shogun, from a friend and was wondering if you guys could help me identify it. The bike had been sitting in the front yard for the last 2 years so it's pretty badly rusted and there are not many useful identifying markings.

I tested with a magnet and the bike is steel, or steel coated, but rather light (only slightly heavier than my newish road bike)...

From my Internet sleuthing I think it may be a Shogun 400. There is a serial number on the bottom bracket but it's almost illegible.

The components I was able to identify:

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tourney 6 speed
Bars: Alps Industrial Company Road Champion >> http://madeinjapanvintage.xyz/2014/12/2 ... -in-japan/
Front and Rear Brakes: SCHWINN Star N630

I've included a rather poor picture (I'll try to take a better one over the weekend) and have no idea how to embed it either :/
http://imgur.com/KWyCies

marcchee

Postby marcchee » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Hey all,

I'm the proud new owner of a Shogun Samurai from 1988. It has Shimano 105 (1050) with indexed downtube shifting as well as biopace rings. It's built from Tange 2 tubing with a really interesting wishbone seatstay.

I was really happy with the condition that this bike was in when I got it. The paint looks great and I was happily surprised by how smooth the gear shifting is and how unused the cogs appear.

ImageImage

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:42 pm

Very nice - I do like the wishbone seat stay. Did you buy that from fleabay in Sydney recently ?
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

yugyug

Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby yugyug » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:55 pm

zzhou wrote:Hi everyone not sure if this is the right place for this sort of question please let me know if it's not :?

I recently acquired a bike, which I think is a Shogun, from a friend and was wondering if you guys could help me identify it. The bike had been sitting in the front yard for the last 2 years so it's pretty badly rusted and there are not many useful identifying markings.

I tested with a magnet and the bike is steel, or steel coated, but rather light (only slightly heavier than my newish road bike)...

From my Internet sleuthing I think it may be a Shogun 400. There is a serial number on the bottom bracket but it's almost illegible.

The components I was able to identify:

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tourney 6 speed
Bars: Alps Industrial Company Road Champion >> http://madeinjapanvintage.xyz/2014/12/2 ... -in-japan/
Front and Rear Brakes: SCHWINN Star N630

I've included a rather poor picture (I'll try to take a better one over the weekend) and have no idea how to embed it either :/
http://imgur.com/KWyCies
The numbered shoguns are from North America, and the Schwinn components suggest that also. Where are u based? I'm not sure many Aussies on this forum would know much about them, but you could try Bikeforums.com
Last edited by yugyug on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:57 pm

marcchee wrote:Hey all,

I'm the proud new owner of a Shogun Samurai from 1988. It has Shimano 105 (1050) with indexed downtube shifting as well as biopace rings. It's built from Tange 2 tubing with a really interesting wishbone seatstay.

I was really happy with the condition that this bike was in when I got it. The paint looks great and I was happily surprised by how smooth the gear shifting is and how unused the cogs appear.

ImageImage
Nice find. Are I sure it's from 88? Looks a little earlier to me, but I'm not sure.

zzhou

Postby zzhou » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 am

yugyug wrote:
The numbered shoguns are from North America, and the Schwann components suggest that also. Where are u based? I'm not sure many Aussies on this forum would know much about them, but you try Bikeforums.com
Thanks yugyug. I'm based in Sydney and picked up the bike here too.

Managed to scrape some more info from the bike if it helps, but I'll post on bikeforums.com too. Thanks for the tip.

Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-AX50
Freewheel: Suntour Perfect 6 speed

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:12 pm

marcchee wrote:Hey all,

ImageImage
Niiiiiice. I wonder if there was ever a Ninja with the Wishbone SS design..... if so I want one!

Looks really clean, great score! If you ever want to sell it let me know :D

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:01 pm

I will be putting this wishboned Shogun up soon.. lost the fight for shed space

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Oh a Celeste beau, lovely. And rare? What size is that? It should have a Sante groupset though from other examples I've seen on the net.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:49 pm

minhyy wrote:I will be putting this wishboned Shogun up soon.. lost the fight for shed space

I prefer the fork crown on yours over the uni crown on the other.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:23 pm

54cm square IIRC. I bought it as a frame/fork/headset, the latter of which was indeed a (notchy) Sante. I've built it up with 6400 tricolor. Tange 1 tubing I believe. JIS headset, 27.0mm seatpost, integrated BB cable guide

Agreed that the CB's fork is nicer than the Samurai's

another angle :wink: