Shogun Appreciation Society

simon.young

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby simon.young » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:14 am

coln72 wrote:Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any decent photos of the Shogun logo on the fork tube or any other logos/stickers. Stupid me forgot to take pictures before the repaint :roll:
Any help would be great.
Colin
What year / model was it? Looks like you mention a Samurai previously?

Bcallcott

Postby Bcallcott » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:37 am

Hi
1st time poster..
I have recently been given a Shogun Selectra. It is in pretty good nick for its age. I don't know much about these bikes and found this page after a quick search.
What sort of value are these bikes? Should I try and clean it up for a sale? Or are they not worth much as a collectable?
Any advice would be much appreciated

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Bcallcott wrote:Hi
1st time poster..
I have recently been given a Shogun Selectra. It is in pretty good nick for its age. I don't know much about these bikes and found this page after a quick search.
What sort of value are these bikes? Should I try and clean it up for a sale? Or are they not worth much as a collectable?
Any advice would be much appreciated
They are a great solid bike, but not much value - great for a commuter. I paid $180 for a really clean 1990 Ninja

The Shogun Road Range:

Team Issue
Ninja
Samurai
Katana
Selectra

Bcallcott

Postby Bcallcott » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks. Think I will try and sell it on ebay starting at $100

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:31 pm

Petie asked me to put this info here once I got a hold of this frame:

Shogun 1000
Tange Champion 2
61.5cm centre to centre seat tube
55cm centre to centre top tube
Shimano EF rear dropouts, fork ends are unstamped
Takes a 27.2 seat post, and has a somewhat unique binder bolt arrangement (which I have yet to sort out)
100mm front, 126mm rear

Most 1000 models I've seen online are touring frames with canti studs and double eyelets front and back. But there are a couple of race style frames like this one. I know nothing of where this would sit in the Shogun hierarchy.

3550gr with headset and sealed BB.
Listed weight of BB is 300gr.
Listed weight of HS is 100gr.

3150gr. bare frame and fork.

Pics:

petie

Postby petie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:59 am

Excellent, thanks heaps! Mine is very very similar to that, except I have a separate head tube badge. The seat post binder is the same, a hex keyed nut is required. If you look a few pages up, another member turned one up for me on a lathe.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:14 am

I have access to enough metal working equipment to make/adapt one, which I'll do when and if I get around to building it up. I'm a little miffed this one has the head tube sticker not a badge, the Shogun badges are very cool.

Jim

JasperJochems

Postby JasperJochems » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:27 pm

A while ago I've bought a Shogun road bike, but so far I've got no idea as for what model it is exactly. Hope one of you recognizes it!
https://www.facebook.com/kildalebikes/p ... 7405874026

thanks!

coln72

Postby coln72 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:31 pm

simon.young wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any decent photos of the Shogun logo on the fork tube or any other logos/stickers. Stupid me forgot to take pictures before the repaint :roll:
Any help would be great.
Colin
The Samari is my wife's bike. The bike I'm chasing the logo's for is a Shogun Sport (I think). It was red/silver from the factory. Tange frame - stickers on frame and forks. As for the year, I don't know. It has a 27" rear wheel and a 24" front wheel, 5 speed rear cluster and SIS shifter on the rear cluster only. Hope this info helps.

Aftheref

Postby Aftheref » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:34 am

I have a shogun 400 and this is serial #S565570

What year is it? How do I post photos?

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:45 pm

coln72 wrote:
simon.young wrote:
Any help would be great.
Colin
The Samari is my wife's bike. The bike I'm chasing the logo's for is a Shogun Sport (I think). It was red/silver from the factory. Tange frame - stickers on frame and forks. As for the year, I don't know. It has a 27" rear wheel and a 24" front wheel, 5 speed rear cluster and SIS shifter on the rear cluster only. Hope this info helps.
I can take pics of a 1990 Shogun Ninja, but i think your model maybe later 80s. Look through some of these shogun pages and find another member with something similar...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21141&p=1201950#p1201950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roosta

Postby roosta » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Back to post a few pics for the Shogun aficionados:
My recently acquired 1992 Trailbreaker 2, 1996 Trailbreaker 3 and early 90's(?) Trailbreaker - in order of pics.

88 Graecross Pathfinder
89 Southern Cross Decathelon MKII
95 Giant YukonSE
96 Shogun Trailbreaker 3
09 Shogun Katana

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Offending purists ever since I can remember:

Brake reach looks like it will suit the front...

But not the rear??

Jim

gm6046

Postby gm6046 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:27 pm

I had a similar problem on one of my Shoguns. I machined up an adapter to make it sit lower....

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:37 am

That's a neat job there - I reckon you would find a market for that adapter.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:20 pm

gm6046 wrote:I had a similar problem on one of my Shoguns. I machined up an adapter to make it sit lower....

Pro. Make more and sell them.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Just picked up a Shogun Katana to join my BMC Team Machine SLR02, never owned a steel roadie before so looking forward to building it up, I know its nothing posh but should prove to be a good commuter hack.

First job though is to get the corroded Alu seat post out. :(

Box of bits to build it up with, going with 7-speed RSX shifters;

Frame in generally good nic, no rust, headset spins freely, all BB and derailleur threads fine.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Shogun 100 with 5700 10 speed 105. Wheels are Ultegra to CXP33.

Pedals are temporary, and the rear brake needs a dropper for the pads to hit rim not tyre. Might have to machine one, or see if someone can make (as above)?

Jim

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi all, I'd like some advice. I may be able to get my hands on a Shogun Trail Breaker 1, for little or no expense. If I can, I intend to turn it into a commuter/general purpose bike.

I think that it is an early 90s model, based on it's components, a quick check on the internet and the general vibe of it.

There are a bunch of decals on it, still in pretty good condition. The head tube says Made in Taiwan. The seat tube says Cro-Mo Hand Welded. The fork says Tangaloy Tubing. And the seat stays say F.I.T. System (whatever that means).

It has 6-spead rear gears with Shimano Altus derailleur. The rear brake is a Shimano cantilever. The front brake is missing.

Do these give any better clues to its age?

The crankset has replaced by Raleigh cranks and single chain ring. That chain ring runs very close to the chain stay. In fact it runs a bit too close and there is some contact damage. I may need to swap that or modify it, if possible.

It also has a pretty good Selle Success aXpero cromoly saddle on it.

In general, I like the idea of this as a general runaround sort of a bike. I know that it's a Taiwanese model, but it's still a decent steel-framed bike that's worth saving, isn't it? The simplicity of the single chain ring and 6-speed rear end make it attractive, too.

Of course, I am not going to ride it with only one brake. I'd like to get the bike up and running as cheaply as possible at first, so as I see it, I have a couple of options:

1. Find a front cantilever brake and lever and put it on. Don't worry too much about whether it matches the back one exactly.

2. Upgrade to v-brakes or mini-v-brakes and levers, given their superiority to cantis.

Am I right in thinking that v-brakes will simply fit onto the same threaded attachment lugs that the cantis go on? And that the only difference between choosing v-brakes vs mini-v's is whether mini-v's can clear whatever size rim and tyre is on the bike? But that I need to make sure the levers suit v or mini-v? If so, then I might look for a cheap set of mini-v's, preferably donated from the proverbial "skip" bike.

The front fork and rear frame also have drilled holes for caliper brakes. However, they look like they are too far away from the tyre/rim to be of any use. Were these frames ever made with larger (700C) wheelsets? If so, then maybe that's an upgrade for down the track.

By the way, the story with this bike is that I started riding to work in the middle of last year. I work in a large office building, with dozens of bikes parked in our bike racks. This bike has been parked, with flat tyres, unmoved and unloved for that whole time. I plan on leaving a note on it to see if anyone knows who owns it, and letting them know that I will buy it off them for the right price. If, as I suspect, know one owns it anymore, then I may just take it for my use.

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:06 pm

RobertL wrote: If, as I suspect, know one owns it anymore, then I may just take it for my use.
That could get a bit dicey if the owner turns up a few weeks later. Better to take it to the local police station and hand it in as lost property saying that it has been there for ages and no one knows who owns it. If it isn't claimed you get it back with clear title and no come back.

yugyug

Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby yugyug » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:29 pm

I think it's the building managers responsibility - they might also run it past the police, but in the end if no one else claims it I can't see why anyone wouldn't want you to have it

I have a early 90s trail breaker 1 and while I'm looking for a 3 or higher, it's a solid bike. Well made, but heavy. Perfect for kid transport.

miyoshi

Postby miyoshi » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Early 90's Shogun team issue brought into the modern era. It now has ultegra 6800 groupset, carbon forks with threadless steerer, and modern everything. It only weighs 8.4kgs with everything – not bad for a steel frame!

I cannot believe how nice it is to ride. My carbon bike just gathers dust in the garage now.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 pm

miyoshi wrote:Early 90's Shogun team issue brought into the modern era. It now has ultegra 6800 groupset, carbon forks with threadless steerer, and modern everything. It only weighs 8.4kgs with everything – not bad for a steel frame!

I cannot believe how nice it is to ride. My carbon bike just gathers dust in the garage now.
That's really nice, though you seem to be missing some spokes from your wheels. :wink:

I'm working on my ninja soon. Will update wheels, fork and maybe drive train to a single chain ring, but I probably won't get it below 10kg because I like spokes too much.

miyoshi

Postby miyoshi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks, I actually wanted to go even less spokes but I blew the budget already, and these wheels were a good price.

You should be able to get under 10kgs pretty easily, depending on the size of your frame, and assuming the ninja is similar. Mine is 54cm (but really its 55c-c) and the bare frame is just under 2kgs. I weighed the bike in its original form and it was about 10.5kgs.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:07 am

miyoshi wrote:Thanks, I actually wanted to go even less spokes but I blew the budget already, and these wheels were a good price.

You should be able to get under 10kgs pretty easily, depending on the size of your frame, and assuming the ninja is similar. Mine is 54cm (but really its 55c-c) and the bare frame is just under 2kgs. I weighed the bike in its original form and it was about 10.5kgs.

Did you notice any handling difference with the new fork? I'm not sure but it looks like the rake/offset is a littl different on the new fork.

What did you do with the old one? Was that the original? Can't quite make out the decal.