xargon

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby xargon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Probably the most expensive shogun I have seen for sale:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/road-racing- ... 2581632802

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 pm

xargon wrote:I can see your bike buddy, looks good I like the contrast between the frame colour and bar tape, I'm guessing it was originally black bar tape?
Thanks xargon. Yeah something went funny with the photo links but they're back working now. Good to know others can still see my photos. :)

Yeah the bar tape was originally black when I bought the bike. I re-taped them with the yellow.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:59 pm

xargon wrote:Probably the most expensive shogun I have seen for sale:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/road-racing- ... 2581632802
Arh, $1400. Tell him he's dreamin'.

Still, nice looking bike though. :)

Mickey1980

Postby Mickey1980 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:46 am

uart wrote:
Mickey1980 wrote: Thanks for the feedback. Worth the try?
Hi Mickey. I see that's it's now sold. Did you buy it?
It was gone overnight. You are right, it looked more modern, hence my question - was a bit different to the earlier models I have seen.

sruss67

Postby sruss67 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Hello fellow Shogun enthusiasts,
Looking for a bike that was my first ever MTB back in 1990.
If anyone has a 1990 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert in a 17-18" size, I am wanting to purchase one to restore.
I would be tempted with another Prairie Breaker from around this era, even a Pro or Team if available.
Not sure how to post a pic here as I couldn't see a link tab?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm

sruss67 wrote:Not sure how to post a pic here as I couldn't see a link tab?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303

AndyPutnam

Postby AndyPutnam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:57 pm

I've just finished my first bike build over the past few days using a Shogun Katana Tange Infinity frameset, I think its a 57cm frame. Double butted Cro-Mo tubing. I'll post some pics of it when I reach quota of posts. It rides really nicely.
It weighs about 10.5kg. The frameset was 3kg including headset.
The brakes ,fr and r derailleurs, and brifters are Shimano 600, Shimano 8sp cassette 11-28, and chain, and 53-39 Shimano 600 crankset
BB is generic I think, as are pedals, as are stem and handlebars, which are aluminium
Seatpost is Kalloy (Al) 370g, saddle is pretty light though (270g) and really comfortable
The wheelset is Giant PR2 and weighs spot on 3000g- very nice smooth wheels.
I've really been getting into weighing components >_< as you may have noticed- to try and keep the weight down, although also owning some lighter bikes I am learning there are many factors more important.
Having ridden her for two hours today across town which allowed me to iron out a few bugs (test ride) it is really comfortable and handles very nicely, accelerates well and climbs well. The main problem was the left crank arm kept coming lose, but after giving it a fairly hefty tighten tonight I am hoping that is done with. Was a pain particularly not having a 14mm socket in my backpack kit.

pricejo

Postby pricejo » Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi
I hope you guys can help me identify a bike i recently bought on ebay.
It is a shogun mtb with fairly good components.
Rockshox judy forks
Noleen nr4 rear shock
Lx deore rd M-570
Easton Program3 Elan 7005 taperwall frame tubes
It has a bmx torker headset which i suppose cant be stock and a pretty average front derailleur.
I would like to find some photos of it new and model name but sofar my searches have had no joy.
Any help would be appreciated

Hopefully the photos work but first time i have tried to add them.

pricejo

Postby pricejo » Mon May 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi i have some more photos here.
Going by the rear derailleur (1999)and rear shock which is date stamped 03/96 i think it is from 1999 or 2000 but have not found anymore info
Please help !!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 pm

You seem to have figured the pics out.

Bars, stem etc don't look original to me. My guess was early 2000s, but not 1999 or 2000. Someone helpfully loaded catalogues for those years & no rear suspension in 1999 & different design for 2000.

pricejo

Postby pricejo » Mon May 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Yep the bars and stem dont match.
And its had a dodgy paint job but the rest of the components and engineering involved in the rear suspension seem pretty good. At least better than the typical recreational mountain bike.
I too looked at the 2000 catalog and couldnt see the same model.
Any more catalogs available?or other info sources?
Also i realise that this is probably not a vintage bike so sorry if i am on the wrong forum category?
Thanks

AndyPutnam

Postby AndyPutnam » Tue May 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Looks like a cool fun bike!

AndyPutnam

Postby AndyPutnam » Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 pm

https://ibb.co/h8L0GQ
This is before I connected up the rear brake.

harro101

Postby harro101 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm

hi pricejo
so.... you bought the shogun i saw it on ebay,
but because it was not original, i left it
these R hard to find.
i have only seen 2 on ebay for about 8 years
shoguns have faded from the psyche, not many good ones around lately
as for yours.......
it iz a 1997 model, TEAM Issue, top of the shogun mountain range
i have the catalog give me your email and i'll send a pic to you
but yours has been heavily modified

anyway this should help
cheers
Too..... many bikes, something has to give

xargon

Postby xargon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Hey guys I brought this a while ago for a family member but they are not using it. I have a larger version exactly the same so I stripped it for the spare parts and have the frame and fork left over. The frame and fork are in really good condition, almost no paint chipping, minimum paint scuffing and almost no rust.

Free to any shogun lover who can come and pick them up from Boronia 3155. Frame size is 48cm C-C and its a 1996 frame. Pics:

ianb58

Postby ianb58 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:20 am

Thought I would try something different to my usual British 531 and this one caught my eye. Tange 2 for a change

I assume that the "M7C" in the frame number makes it an 87 build
Have only been on a shakedown ride so can't comment on how the ride compares, but at my speed, it doesn't really matter.
Came in a bit heavier than expected as the frame and forks were just under 3Kg, but the complete build was around 11.500Kg, although I think most of the excess is in the wheels and cassette. I went for RX 100 as I couldn't justify the cost of Sante.
Still can't get the hang of posting images from Google Photos

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 am

That's a nice one. I believe the original parts on the Celeste were a mix of Sugino 75 and Sante. Sante is already expensive as it is, but you wouldn't believe how much the aero CHCD cranks go for.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

ianb58

Postby ianb58 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Yes, I think the original cranks from this one were polished up and sold for about what this build has cost me to put together.
They did look nice though

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:46 pm

just put my 1989 ish Shogun Ninja through the ringer. I had been disaffected by having a front derailler for sometime (useless!) so decided to go 1x. I also put on a old colnago carbon fork I got from a mate as the old fork was not original (not surprisingly, I believe the original fork was aluminium).

I made some really strange choices with this rebuild. See if you can spot them all.

BEFORE:

AFTER

Its now 1.5 kgs lighter. I thought it would be more. :?

The 9spd barcon works great, very clicky and precise. Love not having a big ring - I have a smaller range but I hardly ever use the highest gear (40/11). Bigger tyres and changed fork angle means toe overlap is a bit more of an issue, but no worries. Its also changed the steering a bit, it feels quicker.

One of the nice things about doing this rebuild was stripping and cleaning the frame. I sanded back old rust and touched up the spots with black nail polish with green glitter, like Simon did on here did with his same model ninja. It doesn't match perfectly, but I like its look anyway.

Sorry not the best pics, didn't take note of the sun angle.

I still have a few more mods in mind. The stem is super ugly and too long, and I need to lower the bars and trim the steerer. I haven't yet dialled in the fit at all, which is also why the saddle has such a jaunty angle.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm

yugyug wrote: Its now 1.5 kgs lighter. I thought it would be more. :?
Just wondering, what were the actual before and after weights (as pictured).
The stem is super ugly and too long, and I need to lower the bars and trim the steerer. I haven't yet dialled in the fit at all, which is also why the saddle has such a jaunty angle.
Yeah I've got to say that I prefer the look of the old forks and stem a little better, but I guess that is where most of your weight saving came from.

Just wondering if there was much weight saving from the chainrings. Were the old ones steel or alloy?

Gregory B.

Postby Gregory B. » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:15 am

So I stumbled across this forum while looking for a new bicycle and I saw that people love the Shogun bicycle that i currently use. It was my father's but he does not ride anymore and i have used this bicycle for 15 years. I am so sorry for what I am about to show you guys and galls. We have no idea how old it is only that it was bought in the late 70's. I think it was made between '76 and '79. My dad used it for 5 years and it was stored away for 18 years. Any info on what I have would be helpful. I was never planning to sell it or junk but maybe i will repair it for my future children or something.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

So sorry
Last edited by Gregory B. on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:54 am

uart wrote:
yugyug wrote: Its now 1.5 kgs lighter. I thought it would be more. :?
Just wondering, what were the actual before and after weights (as pictured).

Just wondering if there was much weight saving from the chainrings. Were the old ones steel or alloy?
10.8kg down to 9.3kg.

The old rings were alloy, replaced with a steel biopace actually, so no weight savings there!

Thought I would get more weight loss from the wheels, but is old 105 w. velocity rims and 23mm tyres replaced with new 105, wider TB14s and 28mm tyres, so now I think about it I can understand why its not that much lighter.

The fork is an experiment, and I like the way it rides, but if I had a choice I would replace with with a Tange Prestige fork to match the tubeset, and put the carbon fork on a keirin bike I'm building up, once I decide if I want to ride it on the road or never use it on the track!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:26 am

Hi Gregory B. Unfortunatly google drive doesn't really let you easy embed your photos. Unless someone knows the trick, I suggest alternative image hosting.
Cycling is in my BNA

uart

Postby uart » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Gregory B. wrote:Any info on what I have would be helpful.
Please don't use Photobucket. It's broken and it's malware.

Gregory B.

Postby Gregory B. » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:50 am

uart wrote:
Gregory B. wrote:Any info on what I have would be helpful.
Please don't use Photobucket. It's broken and it's malware.
So what can i use? No googledrive, onedrive, imgur or photobucket. Photobucket was one that was used before in other pages. can someone give me something?