Shogun Appreciation Society

am50em

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby am50em » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:54 pm

sunho wrote:Here is my bike I picked up from a friend for $70 :)
Will upgrade the brakes, tyres, bar tape and put some mud guards on them for some nice commuting.
Very nice and a great bargain!

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Will upgrade the brakes, tyres, bar tape and put some mud guards on them for some nice commuting.

[img]
don't know the exact year but seems relatively 90s as the frame doesnt have a nice "shogun" tag like the jap made frames :(

[img]
CrMo blades - Templite Ultra(?)

[img]
running a perfect set of exage 300, Deep V wheels.
Seems like a pretty bad deal for your friend

sunho

Postby sunho » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Had to clean it for a few hours, and touch up paint with some nail polish too.. Just didn't take the before photos :-(

I put a new seat, new pedals on it as the one on it was a ripped up tioga and pedals were as good as dead.
The brakes were glazed and tyres too hence the reason for the upgrades to come.

Other than that all the mechanics were solid.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Almost the same vintage as my Shogun commuter. I have the same Templite Ultra tubing - my guess is that it is a double butted
cro-mo. That frame is huge though :shock: They are nice enough to ride though.

Your friend should enjoy it :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Looks fantastic, great score for $70.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Just joined, so better add to the Shogun Appreciation thread... since I've been riding them from my teens till now (approx 25 years...)
List is:
Trail Breaker 2 (88 model)
Trail Breaker 3 (88 model Still in WA for the moment)
Another Trail Breaker 2 91? model at work for lunches runs etc..
Prairie Breaker Pro (91 model) That still needs some Deore Parts to complete.

And still on the hunt for that elusive 88 model Prairie Breaker Team Issue (if anyone has one of those red/black/white and chrome jobbies...pleeeeease let me know!)

Both of the Trail Breakers from 88 have the rear brake behind the bottom bracket and reason for chasing that first one was, I bought it new back then only to have it stolen not long after...now I have another chance to enjoy it!
Also, has anyone got any catalogue scans from around 88-90? I dropped into Bikecorp not long ago (they no longer handle the Shogun brand) and asked for any old catalogues; the kind lady there only had some from about 1998 to 2001/2 which she gave me. So if anyone needs some scans from then, I can gladly scan.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

i bought another shogun this week. no pics yet, but it's a little tange 2 samurai with that funky wishbone seatstay arrangement.
looks like stnfldr's:

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:16 pm

I have seen said shogun and give it 4 stars. David?

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm

munga wrote:i bought another shogun this week. no pics yet, but it's a little tange 2 samurai with that funky wishbone seatstay arrangement.
looks like stnfldr's:
I like that, for some reason I'm developing a strange attraction to wishbone stays....

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Finally, an excuse to use hideous fluoro late 80s and early 90s parts on something.

sunho

Postby sunho » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:00 am

that is bootyful...

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:32 pm

munga wrote:i bought another shogun this week. no pics yet, but it's a little tange 2 samurai with that funky wishbone seatstay arrangement.
looks like stnfldr's:
Looks a little big for you mate, but thankfully I should be able to fit on in just fine. That's what mates are for, right? :lol:

munga

Postby munga » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:37 pm

"shannon? shannon? i'm looking for a guy called shannon"
that one. 53cm. early 105

jools

Postby jools » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:28 pm

munga wrote:much easier to work on them when they're removed from the bars - you can unscrew them from the mounting clamps with an allen key iirc, so you dont have to take tape off your bars etc.

mid 90's 600 sounds fine. as long as they're both square taper i don't think there's any problem, unless you're looking at them both and one looks waaaaay different.
Thanks for all the advice Munga! I managed to remove the brifters and gave them a good clean out with the WD40 and lubed up again with lanolin and they work perfectly now. I didn't buy the 600 cranks and ended up picking up a nice light frame of unknown origin that had a Shimano 105 BB and crankset. The guys at Cheeky Transport swapped these across to the Shogun and I've now got another project to work on - I'll use the frame to build a nice, lightweight singlespeed.

I've also replaced the bars, brake and gear cables and the bar tape. The tyres and brake pads were replaced when I first picked up the bike ($45 at a garage sale). The rear hub needs replacing and the front is average, so I'm keeping an eye out for a suitable wheelset. The front fork is a bit wonky though - the front wheel is offset to the left by a cm or so - doesn't seem to affect the ride too much but it looks odd when you're looking down at the wheel while riding!

Here is the finished (but not polished) product:

floody

Postby floody » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:29 pm

I put a 7410 JIS headset in a MINT condition '89ish Ninja frame the other day, was almost black dark green with green flake in it and green decals, Prestige tubing, classy rig.

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 am

munga wrote:"shannon? shannon? i'm looking for a guy called shannon"
that one. 53cm. early 105
Ohhh. That one. Sorry buddy, I can't help you there. It's way too small for me. You'll have to find someone else to ride it for you............... :twisted:

Nicko1971

Postby Nicko1971 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:31 am

Hi all

My first time here so bear with me.

I own an 80's shogun samurai in original pink white and blue. All original 105 bio pace comp. I saved for a year as a teenager to buy this bike new at around $1000 . Turns heads and gets lots of questions when I ride it. Very good condition.

Ill post a pic if I can work out how.

Is it collectable, is it worth anything? Was the samurai the top of the line model?

How do I upload a pic???

LG

Postby LG » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 pm

funnybike wrote:
looks like stnfldr's:
Looks a little big for you mate, but thankfully I should be able to fit on in just fine. That's what mates are for, right? :lol:
I've got a similar wishbone celeste beau way to small for me as well :cry: , about a 54cm. Seem like nice bikes.
LG = Low Gear

Nicko1971

Postby Nicko1971 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Could one of you guys help me please?

Nick

LG

Postby LG » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Nicko1971 wrote:Hi all

I own an 80's shogun samurai in original pink white and blue. All original 105 bio pace comp. I saved for a year as a teenager to buy this bike new at around $1000 . Turns heads and gets lots of questions when I ride it. Very good condition.

Is it collectable, is it worth anything? Was the samurai the top of the line model?

How do I upload a pic???
To post pics, read here http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=23303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it collectable - probably not collectable in the 'straight to the pool room' sense, but would be a great retro ride. Might be a few reading here who are specifically into 80s shoguns.
Is it worth anything - probably a couple hundred bucks or so if it's in good nick.
Shogun models - pages 3 & 4 of this topic have some model details.

Look forward to seeing your photos Nick.
LG = Low Gear

munga

Postby munga » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 pm

What year did you buy it, nick?

What's that smell?

Sd

Postby Sd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Nicko1971 wrote:Hi all

How do I upload a pic???
I've got the exact same bike Nick. Full 105 triple triangle pink white and blue, infinity frame with araya rims will get some pics up tomorrow...

On a side note how is this still for sale http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morayfie ... 1010077320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wish I was in brissy been looking for one of these or the hot pink one...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:44 pm

When I get a moment to catch up, my beloved Shogun Metro SE will be going up on the for sale section... N+1 happened today, and now entropy must be maintained...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Nicko1971

Postby Nicko1971 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 pm

1987 munga

Sd

Postby Sd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:26 pm

This the one Nick?

Ignore the chain :oops: