Shogun Appreciation Society

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby rkelsen » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Spork! wrote:Has been repainted at some stage and serial has been mostly filled with paint , but I think it's: D 01017548
My calipers are at father-in-laws, but I'd guesstimate that the seat pole is 1 inch diameter.

Possibly a 1990 model. Certainly looks to be between 1988 and 1992, anyhow.

Seat posts vary in 2mm increments. The smallest size is 25.4mm and generally used on the cheapest/lowest quality frames. The largest size (on retro steel) is 27.2mm, which is what was used on top-of-the-line models. I've got a feeling that yours will be around 26.4mm, but I may well be wrong.
rkelsen

by BNA » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 pm

BNA

Postby Spork! » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 pm

OK, well without using a vernier caliper, closest I could get is: 27mm. I measured by tightening a cable tie around it, cutting cable tie, mearsuring that and dividing by (3.14) pi.

85mm/3.14 = 27(.07...) :D
Spork!

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 pm

The most common sizes for seat-posts in steel frames are: 25.4, 26.0, 26.4, 26.8 and 27.2 (27.0 is an odd British size)

The only way to be absolutely certain is to try and stick a seat-post in and see how it fits.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby X-Infinity » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:58 am

Here is the final product of my Shogun selectra.

I found the frame on the street about six months ago. Most things were in pritty bad condition... basicly there was rust where u didnt exactly want there to be rust.
It would have been difficult to refurbish her so instead i took the easy way out and turned it to a Fixed speed.
It rides smooth and im loving it to bits, seems a bit weak in the frame tho :S
- - - - - - __o
-------- _\<,_
_____ (_)/ (_) ....to infinity, and beyond!!!
X-Infinity

Postby flashrider » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Okay I have no link with this, just giving a heads up for the peoples. Honest, I just want to spread the bike lurve There's a Shogun Katana in Melbourne going begging. eBay item number 230461184722. Not sure about that seat though...or is it genius?
Projectus Distractus Maxima.
flashrider

Postby rkelsen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:40 pm

X-Infinity wrote:It rides smooth and im loving it to bits, seems a bit weak in the frame tho :S

Hey man, do you mind if I ask you to clarify this?

I dunno if it was the construction method, or the materials (Tange Infinity), but I found that my Katana was very flexible. Admittedly, I'm a heavy guy (100kg), and, apparently the maximum recommended rider weight for these frames is 90kg... but... the downtube would move so much that the pump would rotate in it's clip.

Anyhow, it's dead now. Both of the seat stays have cracked almost all the way through. Shame, because I really loved riding this bike. I picked up another frame from CERES, but it's an Apollo, not a Shogun. Hopefully it rides as nicely as this one did.
rkelsen

Postby zues » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi Rekelson you wrote"
I dunno if it was the construction method, or the materials (Tange Infinity), but I found that my Katana was very flexible. Admittedly, I'm a heavy guy (100kg), and, apparently the maximum recommended rider weight for these frames is 90kg... but... the downtube would move so much that the pump would rotate in it's clip.

I have a tange Infinity frame and would like to know your reference regarding maximum recommended rider weight of 90kg :?:
zues

Postby rkelsen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 pm

zues wrote:Hi Rekelson you wrote"

I have a tange Infinity frame and would like to know your reference regarding maximum recommended rider weight of 90kg :?:

It's specific to Shogun bikes made from the late 1980s thru early 1990s. I dunno where I read it, I think it was in a document buried deep somewhere on Sheldon Brown's website. Can't find it now.

Anyhow, I found out why! And I have the cracked frame to prove it... :cry:
rkelsen

Postby X-Infinity » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey rkelsen, original shogun frames are of considerable quality. Katana was in the middle of the Hierachy at the time and has been knowen to be quite a good build.

This frame would seem to be quite soft and flexiable if put under strain.
I am light and my frame seems stiff and rigid.

to break it down. Stronger steels are more rigid and have less flex. They are also heavier. Katanas are relatively light. There fore will flex under alot of weight.
You want to have a balance between flex in your bike for a smooth run and strength so that the bike dont fall to bits while mashing it thru town.
so i recomend following the weight limits just for your own safety.

take it easy. reguards X-Infinity
- - - - - - __o
-------- _\<,_
X-Infinity

Postby brendan03 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:28 am

X-Infinity wrote:Katana was in the middle of the Hierachy at the time and has been knowen to be quite a good build.

Any idea what the actual hierarchy was? Katana, Ninja, Samurai.. etc?
brendan03

Postby X-Infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Samurai, ninja, katana, selectra i believe.
- - - - - - __o
-------- _\<,_
X-Infinity

Postby FXST01 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 pm

X-Infinity wrote:Samurai, ninja, katana, selectra i believe.

So Selectra is bottom of the range?
FXST01

Postby rkelsen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:28 pm

FXST01 wrote:
X-Infinity wrote:Samurai, ninja, katana, selectra i believe.

So Selectra is bottom of the range?

There's also the "Custom Sport" which was below Selectra.
rkelsen

Postby Stuey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:49 pm

And plain old 'Sport' under that, I think. I have one - well, the frame off one - as a single speed. It just had Sport decals and 'Tangalloy' on the frame before I painted it. Of course, this could have been from another period, but it looked the same as a Custom Sport I've seen.
Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sun May 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with some photos of my Shogun Sport Tangalloy frame as a flat bar single speed. It's actually a really nice ride. I've put Shimano SLR calipers on it, so needed home made drop brackets knocked up. Very smooth, and quite light. All up cost just over $100 as a lot of bits came from hard rubbish. Built up the wheels from Sachs Maillard hubs from a crap MTB and rims from another 2 bikes. Specialized Flak Jacket tyres in 27 x 1 1/4".

I might put drop bars on it yet...

Cheers

Stuey
Stuey

Postby steerpike » Thu May 27, 2010 12:37 am

Just joined this forum as a member. I have a nice blue Shogun Samurai that i bought second hand some time around 1989. It has a Shimano RX100 groupset. I remember that the Katana was a higher-spec than the Samurai (I think that most Katanas had 105 groupsets). Have been riding it on and off over the past 20+ years, having converted it to flat bars about 5 years ago. It is a bit scratched and rusty, so decided to do it up (but to keep the gears- I like gears). The frame is currently at P&J Powdercoaters (found them in this forum) getting treated to a nice metallic jade colour. I really love this bike- despite looking old and worn out, it still rides much better than many newer bikes. It was a pretty fast road bike in it's day. I weigh 93 kg, and find it to be plenty stiff for my riding. I don't detect any appreciable frame flex- just a nice comfortable ride. (My main current ride is a Colnago C50, and the Shogun compares reasonably well, considering the reputation of the big Italian). When I am able to, will post a pic of the restored Shogun. It will be my "bling" machine.

Shogun Samurai
Progear CX400
Velocita Tiagra
Aldi Folding bike
Colnago C50
steerpike

Postby rowdyflat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 pm

I have been" extreme" mtbiking + then commuting on my Prairie Breaker expert for 20 years.
It has had 3 different suspension forks + softride stem, about 10 chains ,2 derailleurs,new cranks + chainrings .
rowdyflat

Postby randyandy4 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 am

Hi
Im new around here. Im building this for a young male friend. I know its not much, being a sport, it is a bit girly, it still needs tape, hoods, and new tyres. But I thought I would share it anyway. It also has suntour power shifters and rear derailleur.

I also have a couple of questions. Is tangalloy lighter than hiten steel? Would it really make any difference on a mixte? And does it really matter which side the quick releases are on?

Thanks
Andy

heres a bigger picture
randyandy4

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 pm

randyandy4 wrote:Is tangalloy lighter than hiten steel? Would it really make any difference on a mixte? And does it really matter which side the quick releases are on?

Should be
Yes
No, but you'd be brave to put the QR on the right at the back - too much chance for unfortunate coincedences
Thoglette

Postby Fernando » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:24 am

Hi.
Wow. I knew I came to the right place. I love Shoguns and unfortunately I only had one and lost it due to lack of appreciation. I sold a nice and clean black/white Shogun Sport with the word Tangalloy across the top tube of the frame. I sold it for $80. I needed the money at the time as I wanted to get into road cycling and go for a higher market bike with Tiagra gearing, better wheels, etc. But I soon found that it was a *BIG* mistake. The so called roadie I bought new from a reputable bike shop in Melbourne had gearing problems from the start and to make matters worse, when I did the Around The Bay in 2007, the back R50 wheel hub seized and all of a sudden I was riding a fixie! Anyway, after much arguing with this so called "reputable" bike shop, I was lamenting the loss of my Shogun as it has perfect gearing changes and no wheel problems what so ever. In the end, I sold this crap entry level road bike for a 2nd hand Colnago and never looked back. But now I still miss my old Shogun, so I am in the hunt for a new one. hehe
So no photos to share with you all at this stage until I find one soon.
Fernando

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi all, well i spose i can say im the owner of a 90-ish Samurai.Its on its way West from Melbourne, im itching to rip it apart and the build begins.Its a no budget fleabay build, going Dura Ace throughout,the front deraileur is worth more than the whole bike :oops: .It should arrive early this week
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
BLU_FZ!

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:37 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:Hi all, well i spose i can say im the owner of a 90-ish Samurai.Its on its way West from Melbourne, im itching to rip it apart and the build begins.Its a no budget fleabay build, going Dura Ace throughout,the front deraileur is worth more than the whole bike :oops: .It should arrive early this week

Tall much?? :shock: :lol:

Nice bike!

Looks more like a mid-90's model to me. Hints to this would be the fastback stays, round rings, brifters and stickers.

I love the geometry of the better Shoguns. The forks have only as much rake as necessary. 8)

Good pickup!
rkelsen

Postby BLU_FZ! » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks, it turned up today.It was a bit exy all up at $210 including the freight Melb-Perth, but tall buggers cant be too tight.Its in way better condition than advertised and i have no complaints.I was going to have it blasted and painted but there is no real need,sure it has some scratches but nothing that is of real concern. Im happy,i will be happier when i can hit the road.

Glenn
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate
BLU_FZ!

Postby penseleit » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:40 pm

I've got a Shogun Trailbreaker 1 which I picked up from the Canberra tip for about $25.

It's a steel frame, I assume CroMo, though I haven't investigated enough to be sure, and rigid fork.

I don't know what year it was built, but I'm assuming late 80s or early to mid 90s.

I've repainted it white and put some new running gear on it, and now it is one of my commuter bikes.

I have to say riding this bike is a sheer delight. The geometry is almost perfect for me, and it is such an amazingly smooth. luxurious ride.

I was planning on buying a steel framed mountain bike one day, but now I will upgrade the parts on this frame instead - don't see any point in buying a new one when this one fits so well.

More pics here:
http://velospace.org/node/25781
penseleit

Postby whitestivo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:45 pm

My shogun katana, runs 400ex, whilst i have upgraded my race bike, Iv'e put things on the shogun and shes progressed

Next to come is new white seat and still on hunt for tyres to match frame

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45670895@N05/4880781129/

It's taken me ages to get her to a stage I'd be happy to present, so hope all you shogun lovers like her

whitestivo
whitestivo

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking