Europa bike - worth restoring?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Europa bike - worth restoring?

Postby Caelum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi all...

I was just over at one of the farms where my family does a little business with, and spied an old(er) Europa bike, was wondering if someone could identify the year/model/country of manufacture...

A lot to ask from a crappy phone photo, but see what we can do!

Any ideas from those in the know?

Might approach the owner if it'll be something worth restoring... there is very little rust on the frame, just surface rust which should be easy to clear off, fork looks to be nearly perfect...
Caelum

by BNA » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:09 pm

BNA

Re: Europa bike - worth restoring?

Postby kukamunga » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Could they be rear facing horizontal dropouts on it ?

The seat tube decal suggests to me cheaper, heavier Hi-Ten steel, but the headtube lugs look ornate

It looks suitable for someone 7' tall :roll: :shock:

More pics please.....
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby Caelum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Not sure if i can sneakily take more photos without showing *too much* enthusiasm for the bike and hence him driving the price up :P

I've got a *slightly* higher resolution image, the dropouts look to be forward facing, angled down by about 30 degrees, i'd say.

ie, the angle starts from the bottom, and slides backwards, and upwards. If that makes sense - not an expert on older frames!

The lugs are certainly very nice, i was looking at them and thought that a simple outline of paint around the edges would look rather nice.

As for the size, i'd hazard to say that she's about a 56cm frame - the bike you see in the background is actually a smaller, probably 48-50cm frame, at a guess.

Oh, and also, although possibly irrelevant, it has a little dynamo below the bottom of the bottom bracket, which powers a headlight as seen on the front.

There was also an interesting brake lever setup, which allowed you to use the brakes while on the top of the handlebars, as well as when in the drops.
Caelum

Postby rideon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:57 pm

could that seat tube decal be a TANGE champion?
rideon

Postby brauluver » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Caelum wrote:

As for the size, i'd hazard to say that she's about a 56cm frame -

To my eye I'd say it's a lot larger than that, just the head tube alone would suggest maybe 59 or 60 methinks.Large frames with seats rammed down low, look odd to me.
brauluver

Postby toff » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 pm

No way that frame is a 56. The seat tube looks longer than the top tube, which is a sign of a big bike. The very long head tube is the best indicator of size, and that's a seriously long head tube!

The wheelbase is long, and there are front and rear pannier racks: all signs of a work-bike, rather than a sports bike. Mid to low end tubing would be my guess. Good tubing was typically reserved for high end touring and racing bikes, not work bikes.

Lots of clues that this bike is a turn of the decade late 70s, but more likely early 80s frame. (No seat tube bottle braze-ons, barcons, suicide brake levers, screw-on pump holder, rear brake cable clips... Probably 27" wheels too.) The cranks look early 80s cranks too - cheap and similar to Sakae (SR) Customs. The last set of those I came across were rusted on, and I had to take to the cranks and bottom bracket with an angle grinder.

If you get it for a few gold coins, fair enough, but I wouldn't be throwing real money at that bike...
toff

Postby munga » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:30 am

front rack looks cool. i'd offer $20 or $30. its no 531 race bike. think repco traveller with bike shop stickers.
</opinion>
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:35 am

Caelum wrote:the dropouts look to be forward facing, angled down by about 30 degrees
That makes sense. If they are cast dropouts, frame may be better quality; pressed steel = cheaper / heavier
i'd hazard to say that she's about a 56cm frame
I'd say 62 cm / 24.5"
it has a little dynamo below the bottom of the bottom bracket
Probably a Sanyo DynaPower. I know some people still using them.....
There was also an interesting brake lever setup
Common "suicide levers" - toss 'em

Even if it is a 'clunker', the head lugs may make it attractive to some giant..... :roll:
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby Caelum » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks for your thoughts an opinions people!

Specially on the size correction - could have had me leaning so far forward i may as well be swimming freestyle instead of peddling!

On the lugs - yeah, they were quite nice, it was kind of what attracted me to the bike to start with... Not too sure if the hanger was pressed or cast, didn't take THAT much of a close look at it.

As for the suicide levers - agree, i doubt i'd keep them if i was to get the bike anyway.

All academic anyway - i'm only 6'1" or so, so it isn't really anywhere near my size :)

Thanks all!
Caelum

Postby familyguy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Apologies for the dredge, but rather than start a new thread...

I picked up one of these today, nearly (not nearly on looking at it again, its exactly) identical to this. I walked into the LBS and asked if he had a big frame going spare as I'm planning on getting my Zini repainted and need a bike solely for commuting. The owner walks out the back saying "I've got a bike you might be able to do things with...its pretty big", and wheeled it out. 61cm! Might just give it a tart and polish and ride it as it for a while. Its got no frame ID on it (except for the Europa stickers), 25.4mm seat post yet, cast lugs, integrated RD hanger, no lawyer tabs on forks. Suntour VX-GT RD, VX FD, & barcons, Suzue front hub, cant read the back one through the gunk yet, 27" Araya rims, Dia-Compe brakes with suicide levers. And not boat-anchor heavy, either.

Definitely not a retro classic, but sturdy and rideable.

Jim
familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:15 pm

And here's a couple of days of on and off work:

VX-GT RD spring was gone, so it wouldnt collapse and take slack out of the chain. The Shimano 600 is temporary till I find something else, but it works to run it as a 1x6 with a 40/14-29 for commuting. One of the barcons will go back on, some replacement brake levers, and off it goes. Need to find a replacement 26.0 seat post for it though.

Jim
familyguy

Postby drubie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Sugino Mighty crank? What size are the chainrings - 144mm?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby familyguy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Nah, SR cranks, branded as Silstar. 52/40 rings, 120BCD or thereabouts, barely worn. Since 4:30 its got bars, stem, one shifter, a cable, and brake levers on it. Needs 2 tyres...27"...dang.
familyguy

Return to Retro biking