Cycloretro

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Cycloretro

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:45 pm

For those in Melbourne, a group of retro riders - Cycloretro. And a ride is on tomorrow.

Starting from Saturday 6 February 2010 Cyclo Retro proudly presents the Retro Ride 50km Beach Rd, St Kilda to Mordialloc and back.

This is free ride for any cyclist who loves the older style steel frames and the retro gear to get together and give the bikes an outing, while sharing knowledge and experiences from the earlier years of cycling.

Starting at Cafe Racer in St Kilda at 9.30am, the ride will take a relaxed pace to Mordialloc where the ride will stop for a 30min rest and a chat about the bikes and gear. Then slowly return to St Kilda for a final coffee at Cafe Racer. Hope to see you there!

Might see you there.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 pm

BNA

Re: Cycloretro

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 pm

BUGGER! I wish I knew about it earlier I might have arranged a holiday to Melbourne for such an event. (I can pack a Raleigh Twenty in a suit case if I have to).
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby rkelsen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:37 pm

hartleymartin wrote:BUGGER! I wish I knew about it earlier I might have arranged a holiday to Melbourne for such an event. (I can pack a Raleigh Twenty in a suit case if I have to).

Hey man, it's the first Saturday of every month. You haven't missed out.

Can't make tomorrow's ride, but I'm hoping to show up to one in the near future... 8)
rkelsen

Postby saintdarth » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Anyone know how many riders turned up to this one.

I'll mark it down as a future starter when the bikes are done.
saintdarth

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:07 pm

'Twas a good ride for all. About 20 riders turned up. Guys* on MS 2 and 5 stars, a nice Raleigh single speed (John was all outfitted in Raleigh team colours - jersey, socks and crocheted mitts), I had the Gerald Tate single speed, there was a nice Bob Jackson fixed gear, a Petrus road bike from 1971 and a very cool resprayed two-tone Malvern Star with nice lugs and an old (but very shiny) clamp-operated bidon cage. A couple of chaps rolled in at Mordialloc on old bikes in original paint finish (nice patina) - a 1920's/30s Alan track bike converted to road single speed with clamp-on centre-pull brakes, a very distressed Brooks saddle, pista bars and 'Major Taylor' stem; and a 1937 Malvern Star 2 star with Cyclo double cable rear derailleur and rod-operated front shifter, that had been picked up off the nature strip :o . The Allan was ridden by Bruce Hargreaves, a well-known penny farthing rider.

The day was lovely with a headwind to push going south and a fair old tailwind run home. The ride will be repeated on the first Saturday of each month. I might try to push the idea of a Tweed Ride for sometime later in winter. Thanks very much to Chris for getting this ride going.

* No ladies were present for the ride. A shame as there are quite a few ladies who are active in the Vintage Cycling Club
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Johnj » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:57 pm

So, anybody interested in something similar in Sydney? I've thought about joining the BNA NSW roadies on some of their rides, but I'm too slow (and too lazy to "harden up"). Also most of the bikes I enjoy riding haven't got enough gears or brakes to keep up.

Any Sydneyites keen on a regular retro ride?
Johnj

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Johnj - I'm usually retro-riding when-ever I go cycling. None of my bicycles are museum pieces - they're all working machines that earn their keep!

hartleymartin

Postby toff » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 pm

I have thought about organising a regular retro ride around Sydney. I like the idea of either starting or finishing at Centennial Park, although the ride should actually go somewhere. Possibly a different place each month.

No rules, but people would be encouraged to bring their best retro racing steeds out, for a moderately paced ride, followed by coffee and a good gander at everyone's lovely bikes.

So bugger it... Let's see what we can organise johnj? What about a simple ride to get things started. Maybe starting at Centennial Park, and after a few laps, heading out to Little Bay and back. That's only a 20km excursion out of the park. Perhaps we can steal the "first weekend of each month" idea and plan the inaugural ride for 6th or 7th March?

Also, I reckon I'm not that far from you either. I'm in Stanmore.
toff

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Toff,

Have you mentioned it to Lindsay? I know sometime ago he mentioned to me that he was keen for a retro/vintage ride.
You should grab Al too. (If you can drag him out of the back of the shop) Al has a few oldies and would ride.

Karen.
cludence

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:06 am

March 6 is Gear-Up-Girl for Sydney. I'm thinking about doing ride support (with an ulterior motive to hunt for a cycling girlfriend). :lol:

Otherwise, I would quite enjoy a regular retro ride in Sydney. I had an attempt to doing one late last year, but it flopped due to lack of interest. Sunday mornings are excellent for the CBD, because there is extremely little traffic around.

hartleymartin

Postby Johnj » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 am

toff wrote:So bugger it... Let's see what we can organise johnj? What about a simple ride to get things started. Maybe starting at Centennial Park, and after a few laps, heading out to Little Bay and back. That's only a 20km excursion out of the park. Perhaps we can steal the "first weekend of each month" idea and plan the inaugural ride for 6th or 7th March?

Also, I reckon I'm not that far from you either. I'm in Stanmore.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm in Croydon, not too far from Stanmore. Maybe less traffic on Sunday morning? Once a date is decided we could put a post in the NSW section of the forum as well as drumming up support from acquaintances.

hartleymartin wrote:March 6 is Gear-Up-Girl for Sydney. I'm thinking about doing ride support (with an ulterior motive to hunt for a cycling girlfriend). :lol:

Ah Martin, hope springs eternal in the human breast.
Johnj

Return to Retro biking