The Eagle has landed ........

MichaelB

The Eagle has landed ........

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:10 am

More pics and details to follow, but here is a taster ....

Have been toying with getting an older style steel frame recently, and entering the fixed single speed club. Have been looking, and finally asked the oldd man " By the way, do you know anmyone that has an old steel framed bike around that they no longer want ? "

He is a hoarder of things from way past, and he might have known someone.

"Yeah, just picked it up from the side of the road the other day. Ya want it ? "

A quick look in the shed revealed the following ;

An Eagle "Indi 500" 12 sp bike. The rear axle needed tightening, but apart from that , it is complete. It has the following ;

- CrMo steel frame - just the right size too !!!
- 12 sp SIS Shimano Down tube shifters
- 27" Araya Alloy rims & Alloy hubs
- Brake levers with cables routed along the handlebars
- reasonable looking lugs & horizontal dropouts
- Velo "Plush" seat - probably weighs 1kg by itself

It appears from some numbers on the alloy hubs and cranks, that it is from 1989. Have no idea of quality level, but has some nifty bits like the brake levers, quick realeases on the brakes etc.

The front crankset is a bit wierd in that the chainrings are rivetted on, and have this fancy alloy trouser gaurd that has black reliefs.

Anyway, Project Eagle has landed in the yard !!! Stay tuned.

Oh, BTW, can you either :

1. Get decent 27 x 1" or 1.25" tyres anywhere, or
2. Will 700C rims fit where 27" rims used to live ?

Now for the parts hunt to begin .....

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 am

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Re: The Eagle has landed ........

Postby europa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 am

Ya jammy barsteward. Should be a nice one. Does he have any others?
MichaelB wrote:Oh, BTW, can you either :

1. Get decent 27 x 1" or 1.25" tyres anywhere, or
2. Will 700C rims fit where 27" rims used to live ?

Now for the parts hunt to begin .....
Bernie Jones will be able to help you out.

700c rims will fit - I've just done that to the Europa. The rims are a lot closer to the hub but the old brakes should have the reach to get there.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Tallywhacker -

I like the spacers ..... not ....

Is it a good frame though ???

Like I mentioned, there is "89" stamped on the front hub and on the back of the cranks - is this then it is built in 1989 ?

From a mate, the indexed SIS shifter came out in 1986, so it should be after this.

Europa -

Nope, just this one. You can have the seat though ....

With the 27" rims though - 27 x 25.4 = 685.8mm - so are the 700C's menasured differently and actually smaller in dia than the 27" ?

Is it worth keeping the 27" rims and getting them relaced with a track hub - they seem to be in good nick, but are "low profile" rather than sexy "deep V"

With the tyres, the 27" that you can get - are they any good though ? If I keep them, I want grip. Will ring Bernie Jones though, ta.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:27 pm

700c are described as a 28" tyre, but that's overal diameter.

27" are measured to the rim.

So yes, 700c are a smaller diameter.

Bernie Jones had a range of tyres there - the white walls on the Europa before her skinny wheels were from there. My son had 27x1" on his Gitane. They're good tyres but yes, the selection can be limited depending on what's in stock.

When you go fixed, go for 700c - it opens up all the currently available tyres.

In fact, ask Bernie Jones about getting the wheels now - they organised the wheels on the Europa for me at $230 for the pair. Just tell them they built some 'track wheels' for a friend - most of them recognise my name now too.

I'd ride with the tyres you've got until you buy the new wheels. If they're 1 1/4" wide, you can take the tyres of the Europa's old wheels. The lad's talking about taking the Gitane to his mother's so his tyres probably aren't available.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Anyone who is confused by wheel sizes, click on "understand" in my signature.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:18 pm

not my bike, remember seeing it several years ago.
The spacers are a bit of a kludge but for a "suck it and see if I like it" fixed at least you're not forking out a lot

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:54 pm

tallywhacker wrote:not my bike, remember seeing it several years ago.
The spacers are a bit of a kludge but for a "suck it and see if I like it" fixed at least you're not forking out a lot
I have seen the Brand "Kuwahara" in a few places, but there is bugger all about. Funnily enough, there is no Kuwahara on the frame that i could see ?

EDIT : Kuwahara History

OK, the washer spacers are a good start I guess.

Mike, Thanks fo rthe link re the tyre/wheel sizing - now I understand ..... 8)

Richard - know a good frame painter in Adelaide ?

europa

Postby europa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:Richard - know a good frame painter in Adelaide ?
No, but I've got some pretty good spray equiptment :wink:

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:11 pm

I'm confused :oops: by all this talk of spacers (what spacers?) and downtube shifters (there aren't any of them if the photo either).
Is the photo that Tallywhacker posted MichaelB's bike or not?
Don't confuse a poor old, aching (nearly 6 hours of riding on the weekend) forumite like me.

Michael, if your frame has a little green 4130 sticker on the seatpost like the one in the photo has, then the frame is probably very similar to europa's. I'll leave whether it's any good or not up to you two. :)

Now I'm going off to sit in the corner and sulk until I see the real photo's. :wink:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:17 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:I'm confused :oops: by all this talk of spacers (what spacers?) and downtube shifters (there aren't any of them if the photo either).
Is the photo that Tallywhacker posted MichaelB's bike or not?
Don't confuse a poor old, aching (nearly 6 hours of riding on the weekend) forumite like me.

Michael, if your frame has a little green 4130 sticker on the seatpost like the one in the photo has, then the frame is probably very similar to europa's. I'll leave whether it's any good or not up to you two. :)

Now I'm going off to sit in the corner and sulk until I see the real photo's. :wink:
The pics posted by Tallywhacker are of another Indi 500 already converted to fixed gear (in Adelaide as well of all places), and in that he used some rather thick washers to get the spacing required.

May get pics tonight and post tomorrow of my bike. It is actually 2 tone grey/white. It has a CrMo sticker on it, and will tray and post that as well, but no specific mention of 4130.

It seems from the history, that Kuwhara made frames for a wide variety of customers before making it big in the BMX world.

Hopefully I can post some relief for you soon.... :wink:

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:18 pm

[EDIT: too slow...oops]

No the picture tally posted is not MichaelB's new bike....as for the spacers: click on the link above tally's pic and it takes you to the page on FGG which shows a couple more pics of the same bike, including the "student fixxie" modifications.

[EDIT2: this thread should totally be in the fixed/ss forum :P]

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:53 pm

MichaelB wrote:I have seen the Brand "Kuwahara" in a few places, but there is bugger all about. Funnily enough, there is no Kuwahara on the frame that i could see ?

ahh, the blocks a falling into place. Quite a few years ago one of my clients imported Suzuki cars and bikes (I wrote their inventory system). They also imported bicycles which they sold under the Indi and Gordonson name (possibly others). I remember them saying that they were marketing a Kuwahara brand bike range in honor their suppliers founder (this was a very old Asian company).
Back in the good old days if you didn't have an Indi 500 you weren't a serious cyclist.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:12 pm

tallywhacker wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I have seen the Brand "Kuwahara" in a few places, but there is bugger all about. Funnily enough, there is no Kuwahara on the frame that i could see ?

ahh, the blocks a falling into place. Quite a few years ago one of my clients imported Suzuki cars and bikes (I wrote their inventory system). They also imported bicycles which they sold under the Indi and Gordonson name (possibly others). I remember them saying that they were marketing a Kuwahara brand bike range in honor their suppliers founder (this was a very old Asian company).
Back in the good old days if you didn't have an Indi 500 you weren't a serious cyclist.
So it could be a half decent frame then ?

Cooool - not quite up to Karen's ALAN frame score, but good enough, especially for nix :D

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:45 am

Well done! I had a Kuwahara here last year (if it turns out yours is one). Mine ended up going down to the institute and was made into a fixie for one of the coaches.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Karen.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:09 am

Well finally the tension can ease - here are the pics of the new beastie ;

Eagle INDI 500

Look Ma, its Cro-Mo

The sticker reads that it is Cro-Moly Tange Tube, not sure what the "5" represents, but the tubing is supplied by P.G. Tubes ?

BHS Blaze Brake levers - make it almost sound fast ??

Reasonable lugs on the headstem

Aussie repairs at their best .......

If you look closely, you can see that the foot cage is constructed from some blue auto wire wrapped in tape :lol:

Apart from the pics, I took a whole bunch of measurements, and they are as follows ;

Top Tube : 575mm C-C
Seat Tube : 570mm C-C
Chain Stay : 430mm C-Axle
Rear Spacing : 126mm inside
Head Tube : 146mm
Seat Tube & Down Tube OD : 28.7mm
Top Tube OD : 25.4mm
Head Tube OD : 31.75mm
Handlebars : 390mm C-C (Hsunling brand :wink: !!)
Stem OD : 22.2mm
Stem Length : 60mm C-C
Cranks : 170mm Custom with 52/42 Teeth Chainrings (rivetted to crank :roll: )
Rear Cassette : 14 - 28T 6 speed

I finally noticed that whilst the rear rim is an Araya Alloy, the front is a steel one. Both have 36 spoke alloy hubs.

If anyone wants any of the shifter stuff (Shimano SIS) or casette, let me know

Plan is to paint it a nice two tone pearl/metallic blue, highlight the lugs and try and get some new transfers for it. I have found some Kuwahara logo's, but will see if I can find some INDI 500 ones ...

Cheers

Michael B

europa

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:51 am

Nice one. And at the right price too. She'll give you a lot of fun :D

I notice you've got the good shaped bars too - they have more downwards angle on the hooks than that traditional. This means you can set the flats of the bars horizontal for a comfy hand position up there, while still having the ends of the hooks angled down for another comfy position, a much more ergonomic setup than the current ridiculous flat spotted bars.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:24 am

Michael, is the cassette a screw-on? I was wondering what you were planing to replace it with?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 am

mikesbytes wrote:Michael, is the cassette a screw-on? I was wondering what you were planing to replace it with?
I think it is. Richard has kindly offered Europas old 27" wheels as an interim, and given that the rear axle has oodles of freeplay, I think it may be buggered.

Ideal plan is a set of 700C wheels with Track hubs, as per Richard.

Lotsa work to do before then though ....

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:26 pm

the tube set is Tange Champion #5. The "PG Tubes" stands for plain gauge tubes as in they are not butted

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 pm

tallywhacker wrote:the tube set is Tange Champion #5. The "PG Tubes" stands for plain gauge tubes as in they are not butted
Thanks for that info re the Tube set. After a bit more googling, here uis some additional info re Tange Champion Tubing.

Tange #5 is a straight/plain gauge CrMo tubing. Strong and reasonably light. One step above hi-tensile steel. The stays are probably hi-tensile steel and maybe even the fork.

Tange #5 tubesets used 0.9 mm main tubes, 0.8mm seat & chain stays and 1.0mm fork blades, Advertised weight was 2460g. Hopefully this is enough to allow comparison with Tange 1-4.

Tange is a Japanese brand of tubing, and early types were rated by
number. Tange Champion #1 was the best/thinnest/lightest, Tange #2
was identical to Columbus SL, #3, #4, #5 --5 is straight-gauge hitens
tubing. See http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/tange/tange.htm and
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 16824.html

Minority

Postby Minority » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 pm

I picked up an Indi Condor recently (free bulk rubbish collction). Ishiwata Magny tubing and Shimano 105 componemts (the very early "golden" series).
From what I can remenber the Indi series of bikes started of with the "500" and had the "Hawk", "Eagle" & "Condor" in the range.
There doesn't seem to be much info around, any additional info would be welcome.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:33 pm

Minority wrote:I picked up an Indi Condor recently (free bulk rubbish collction). Ishiwata Magny tubing and Shimano 105 componemts (the very early "golden" series).
Normally I like to welcome new members, but my first reaction this time is to abuse you ya jammy barsteward :D

Welcome to the nuthouse mate. What do you plan to do with her?

Richard

Minority

Postby Minority » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:47 pm

It's a long story but basically I'm going to use the frame with some updated bits to ride when the weather gets better.
The bits that I am going to use are off an apollo with a busted frame that I got in the same bulk rubbish collection (Shimano dual pivot brakes, Rx100 rear changer and Shimano crank with Biopace rings).
The early Shimano 105 "Golden Arrow" bits are going on a frame that I had already started to refurbish (I also got that from a bulk rubbish collection, early Shimano 600 changers/brakes, Sugino Maxy crank, Ukai alloy rims with Shimano large flange hubs). When i figure out how to post pics I'll put some up, I've painted a lovely shade of green.
There, I told you it was a long story!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:17 pm

europa wrote:Normally I like to welcome new members, but my first reaction this time is to abuse you ya jammy barsteward :D
Richard, stop persecuting the underprivileged minority. Can't you see he's reduced to scavenging for the things we take for granted? :wink:

Welcome Minority. Nice find!

Cheers,
Graeme
Last edited by Kalgrm on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....