Current project

silverlight

Current project

Postby silverlight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:03 pm

hi All
Thought I'll show you my current project
Its a 1947 Thanet Silverthan,
The frame was obtained originally all in chrome but needed a re-chroming done to bring back to life, the decals were sourced from the UK and this is at current state now, I have acquired all the bits and soon to be put all together, I also have a Thanet catalogue so the parts obtained are all period as to picts inside booklet.
Thanet produced Silverthans and Silverlights, more information can be found on

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/thanet.html

This frame is particular has the T cutout everywhere on the frame, at the head-tube, the bottom bracket and seat post area, its light and designed to for a 3spd cyclo changer.
I will take more picts shortly to show details and of finished product.

spirito

Re: Current project

Postby spirito » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 am

Just one pic :? ... don't be such a tease :P

Looks very nice. That's quite an exotic frame you have there and I'm sure the build will have some interesting parts too.

How'd it go with rechroming? I've heard differing opinions ... some say chroming metal twice results in more chances of frame failure (Hydrogen Embrittlement??), others say it's no issue if done properly. I don't have a science degree, nor do I know anyone who works at the CSIRO :wink: :mrgreen: ... I just wanna know if there's any probs, or whether I've been hearing silly myths without basis.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:37 am

hi Spirito
Yes more picts to follow soon..just a teaser for now

Regarding the chroming, I spoke to the chromer about this and he said its no problem but its best to spray some degreaser on the areas of risk so its safe from corroding, he highlighted the rear of the seat post, BB etc. these are the areas that are hard to polish up and may not be completely guarded., so i have
He said that there are many chromers out there that the chrome is done bad (very thin) and this one is done very well...I guess time will tell

Other than that i know nothing more about the process of chroming,sorry can't help

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:59 am

Yes, more pics, please. :D

Looks like it could be sporting a brooks saddle? 3 speed cyclo, you going with the original mechanicals ?

Cheers,
steve.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:24 am

silverlight wrote:hi All
Thought I'll show you my current project
Its a 1947 Thanet Silverthan,
<snip>
You have a Silverthan! You lucky so and so!
Where do you live, do you own a dog and what is your building security like? :wink:

No seriously, very nice bicycle. One of the old guys in my CTC section had one of these as his 'light' saddlebag only tourer fitted with Resilion cantilever brakes and a wide range alloy case 4-speed Sturmey gear. From the look of the open style cable clips yours also may have been designed for Resilions as you cannot thread a Resilion cable through a normal cable guide.

Cheers
Richard

18htan

Postby 18htan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh not fair...

We need more pics pronto!

bowie

Postby bowie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:55 am

oh a side note.. where are you guys getting old decals from? :S
b is for bicycle :D

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:25 pm

bowie wrote:oh a side note.. where are you guys getting old decals from? :S
H Lloyd Cycles would be a possibility
AT2 THANET "Silverlight" head transfer. Gold star plus "Silverlight" banner 52 x 55 £5.20 W
AT1 THANET red/white/black downtube transfer 200 x 28 £2.80 W
AT3 THANET SILVERTHAN head transfer. Very similar to silverlight head transfer, but with correct Silverthan
wording. 50 x 56 £6.50 H
I guess you are aware of the 1949 Thanet Silverlight on Speedbicycles?
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:48 pm

bowie wrote:oh a side note.. where are you guys getting old decals from? :S
Nick at H.Lloyd (UK) http://www.hlloydcycles.com/ is good for British and some other brands,
Greg Softly at Cyclomondo (Coffs Harbour) http://stores.ebay.com/Cyclomondo has a wide range of Italian, European and AUSTRALIAN transfers (well high class vinyl actually, but even Nick is moving this way now).
I can personally recommend both these suppliers for goods and service. Greg is also open to suggestions for additions to his range.
I am currently using Gregs early Peugeot transfers in a restoration and they are superb. His 531/753/Vitus tubing stickers and many rim sticker repros are also impeccable.
Cheers
Richard

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:23 pm

hi Again
The ones pictured on the Thanet are from Nick at H.Lloyd (UK), they are of high quality and definitely would use him for my british bikes.
I have also used Greg Softley and his too are excellent quality, never had any issues with either.

Yes i saw the page on the 1949 Thanet Silverlight, definitely a rare specimen, I have only ever seen 2 for sale and they both fetched big dollars.
The frame design is very unique and as exotic as can be.

Today i got the wheels, BB, cranks and bearings in the headset in on my Thanet
Picts to follow shortly.

cheers

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:32 pm

ok, here another picture of it coming together..
Hopefully have the bars and finishing touches done soon...

bicyclz

Postby bicyclz » Mon May 24, 2010 9:24 pm

I was the second owner of this machine (after 57 years I think!) and I'm glad to see it being resuscitated and cared for, even on the other side of the world :)
Not sure how much you know about its history but I might just be able to fill in some spaces.
I've got comprehensive pics.
The ones on Classic Lightweights only skim the surface...

Not sure how this forum works yet (joined 10 mins ago!) but if you can PM with an email address I'll email you the stuff I have :D
Cheers,
John.

BTW the actual machine on CL is here:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... hn-rb.html