Downtube Shifters and different brazeon mount types

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Downtube Shifters and different brazeon mount types

Postby mikeg » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi all,

Cutting a long story short in converting a tange DB alloy frame bike from down tube to STI shifters, I have found out there are 2 types of brazeon mounts, the square type which the fit available cable housing stop adapters, and the type that is on this frame, a keyhole shaped brazeon mount.

Now the DT shifters that are on this keyhole type are Shimano 600 friction levers (for 6 speed), and if I don't complete the conversion intended, then I would like to substitute the DT shifters with indexed 6/7 speed type.

And to my question:

Are there indexed type DT shifters that will fit the keyhole type of brazeon mount?

Mike

[edit] Also the thread on the keyhole type is different (doesn't appear to be metric) and slightly smaller in diameter
mikeg

by BNA » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:46 pm

BNA

Postby GaryF » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:46 pm

I can't recall the keyhole brazeon mounts. I suppose a photo is not possible?

I have some 6 speed Shimano shifters that work with the square based brazeon's and indexed Suntour and Campagnolo that work with square based brazeon's but i've never seen the keyhole type 6 speed brazeon.

My guess would be that the the 6/7 speed down tube shifters only attached to the square based bosses.
Last edited by GaryF on Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryF

Postby mikeg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:12 pm

GaryF wrote:I can't recall the keyhole brazeon mounts. I suppose a photo is is not possible?

I have some 6 speed Shimano shifters that work with the square based brazeon's and indexed Suntour and Campagnolo that work with square based brazeon's but i've never seen the keyhole type 6 speed brazeon.

My guess would be that the the 6/7 speed down tube shifters only attached to the square based bosses.

I do have a not very good phone camera shot of the braze-on, but not enough post count

Mike
mikeg

Postby mikeg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:26 pm

mikeg wrote:
GaryF wrote:I can't recall the keyhole brazeon mounts. I suppose a photo is is not possible?

I do have a not very good phone camera shot of the braze-on, but not enough post count

Mike

Have just taken same better resolution photos

and increase the post count while I am at it

Mike
mikeg

Postby stryker84 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Or send them to a moderator (I forget which ones) to help you in posting them.
stryker84

Postby mikeg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:43 pm

the style is probably not called keyhole, but the shape somewhat keyhole shaped.

Mike
mikeg

Postby mikeg » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Lets see if I can now post some images of the braze-on!

Did not work this was post no 11

Mike
mikeg

Postby mikeg » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:57 pm

mikeg wrote:Lets see if I can now post some images of the braze-on!

Mike

Mike

[edit] Hooray, finally!!!
mikeg

Postby Minority » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi Mike,

I am fairly sure that the indexed DT shifters I had to go with some Shimano RSX stuff were that style mount. I'll check when I get home tonight.
Minority

Postby GaryF » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Minority wrote:Hi Mike,

I am fairly sure that the indexed DT shifters I had to go with some Shimano RSX stuff were that style mount. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Mike, thanks for the photo's - I haven't seen them before. I'll be interested in what Minority turns up.
GaryF

Postby Minority » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:58 pm

Sorry Mike,
Obviously my memory is failing along with the rest of the body!

I would think you could carefully file the Shimano shifter to fit the "keyhole" protrusion, but not as standard.

Good luck with your hunt!
Minority

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:03 am

GaryF wrote:
Minority wrote:Hi Mike,

Mike, thanks for the photo's - I haven't seen them before. I'll be interested in what Minority turns up.

These look very similar to the style of braze-ons that I have seen on a late 90's Steel Cinelli frame.

Some people think that you can get adjusters to suit these so that you can use the modern day shifters - is this true ?
MichaelB

Return to Retro biking