A question of seatpost size?

brauluver

A question of seatpost size?

Postby brauluver » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:46 pm

So.....I'm having a cleanout of bits and bobs and have decided to part with my beloved Pursuit brand frame.
I bought this as a complete bike some time ago .
The seller was not the original owner, but his brother in law.
Both the seller and his Bro in law had their bikes built by Wayne Roberts at Super elliots in Adelaide.
Sellers bike had long gone to an accident, but was built from tange#2.
He thought his Bro in laws(my purchase)was Reynolds 531.Bike was in original condition when I purchased, but without a tubeset sticker :cry:

It wasn't until I pulled it down and started to pay attention that I realised the seatpost tube is a 26.6 :o
Pursuits i've seen online are a mix of Columbus, reynolds and Tange#2.I've had another go through the shed that was a tange#2.
So now I'm wondering if mine is in fact atange 2 as that seems to be a more common post size for this tube set.Reynolds seem to be a 27.2 standard.
Frame is 56 square and weighs in at 2080 gms.
It's a bloody nice ride and tightish geo, but I'm having a dilemma as to what to say about tubeset when I sell it.I can't claim it to be 531 if I'm not certain.
Anyone got any thoughts or info as to what this may indicate.

Cheers dave

familyguy

Re: A question of seatpost size?

Postby familyguy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:17 pm

brauluver wrote: It wasn't until I pulled it down and started to pay attention that I realised the seatpost tube is a 26.6 :o
Pursuits i've seen online are a mix of Columbus, reynolds and Tange#2.I've had another go through the shed that was a tange#2.
So now I'm wondering if mine is in fact atange 2 as that seems to be a more common post size for this tube set.Reynolds seem to be a 27.2 standard.
Frame is 56 square and weighs in at 2080 gms.
It's a bloody nice ride and tightish geo, but I'm having a dilemma as to what to say about tubeset when I sell it.I can't claim it to be 531 if I'm not certain.
Anyone got any thoughts or info as to what this may indicate.

Cheers dave
Those more clued up may correct me, but I thought all 531's to be 27.2mm seat post ID. I dont believe Columbus dropped below 27.0 on any road tubeset. For 26.6 I'd be leaning to tange #2, which is no gaspipe either way.

There may be some useful info here.

Jim

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:01 pm

My Raleigh Royal takes a 27.0mm seat-post. Quite a few gas-pipe roadsters also took 27.0mm seat-posts. Go figure.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:21 am

The way I remember it, a Number 5 seatpost [27.2mm] would suggest Reynolds 531 Double butted while a Number 4 [27mm] would be something like 531 plain gauge & was traditionally seen on a lot of race bikes in the 40's through to the 70's or even 80's.

Even a Number 3 seat post [26.8mm] was regarded as belonging in a good quality frame. A Number 2 seatpost [26.4mm??] was the size commonly seen in many ladies frames & a great number of basic roadsters, but like others, I have found Number 4 in pressed-lug roadster frames before today.

I never figured that one out

As for those foreign tubesets, .... I have no idea.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:19 pm

well a bit more ferreting and digging through my old phone bills yielded the # of the guy I purchased from.He then put me on to the Bro in law who confirmed it as a Tange#2 tube frame.
All this time i've thought it was Reynolds :roll: Oh well, still a nice ride though.
Now I gotta decide If I wanna sell it or not.
Frame and fork only, anyone innerested?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 am

Now what's going on Brau???

Divesting yourself of all your SS and fixed stuff, getting rid of a few choice items, or finding the $$$ for another project. Enquiring minds want to know.

Anyway, sell it on evilBay, either as a complete bike or strip it to F & F. Set a reasoned 'buy it now' price and watch the homies circle it like seagulls on a hot chip.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:50 pm

My left Knee again :(