Father and Son Project.

brauluver

Father and Son Project.

Postby brauluver » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Well after swearing off tinkering with old bikes and divesting myself of everything retro and track/fixed,and spending the results on a (being shipped) cyclocross bike to commute on,my(eldest) Son and I have decided to pool our meagre $$$$'s and start a project together.
I think it will be good for him to learn some basic cycling mechanics/maintenance,and will provide a common interest for us bond over in the domain of the shed.He's 11 and not the sporty knockaround type of kid, more of a nerdy kid, but he loves cycling and old stuff,especially English/anglo stuff from the 60's 70's.Future Tweed rider for sure :roll:
He has is eye on a family star type of bike, a smallish step through frame with a 3 speed hub.This suits me as I could use it as a shopper also.
I've shown him Skidstar pics and he loves them, but realises the cost is way out of our league.I would like to pick up a dragster frame and build a cruiser style bike for him.After some discussion we have decided to sell off a BMX I rebuilt 2 years back for him,as he says BMX is not his thing.The funds from that will help to realise our project.So already I've got him hooked on the world of ebay/gumtree and the dissapointment of lost auctions and missed sales.It's certainly created some debate over styles and taste between us, but we're both loving the thrill of the chase.
Anyone else out there in retro land attempted a project with their offspring or planning something similar?

hartleymartin

Re: Father and Son Project.

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Be sure to let me know if there are any odds and ends you might need. Oh, and photos of progress are a must!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

il padrone

Re: Father and Son Project.

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:34 pm

My son (19) has taken over the Raleigh Sports 26" ladies bike that was donated to me. He has been riding it to uni - says he prefers the comfort of it compared to his alloy GT MTB tourer. He has been along to the Bike Shed and collected a rear and front dynohub to build up in the wheels as an easier running dyno than the bottle dyno it has. Trouble is now the dynohubs are still sitting on the bench (part-disassembled) and the Raleigh is looking very sad with bent forks. My son caught a tram track in Brunswick St and took a dive. He was OK, but the bike was knocked up :(

And with me winged by the shoulder I can't do too much about fixing the bike up :x :| So it's all on the back burner. I have a new Hebie stand for the bike and had planned to get it resprayed some time soon.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."