Circa 70's Cecil Walker Restore Update (back from Paconi!!)

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm really loving those shiny bars and seatpost.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:13 pm

hey crog, thats a very nice job on the frame.

Why did u end up going with the 9spd crankset?

I have found the external bearings, modern cranksets to be much nicer.

Anyway .... I still got my 753 Kenevans hanging in my garage. Perhaps its time to do something about it.

crog

Postby crog » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:08 pm

Why did u end up going with the 9spd crankset?

I have found the external bearings, modern cranksets to be much nicer.
Firstly I dont know much about bikes and decision was mainly made on price from Ebay, Once I got a derailuer and brakes that was it I had to finish the set

Costs were:

- BB : 60 Aus
- Crankset :66 Aus (60 US)
- FD : 40 Aus
- RD : 60 Aus (55 US)
- Brakes : 99 Aus
- Shifters: 275 Aus (US 230)

So I got the complete set for ~$600, and thoise with US next are approximate conversaions as items were secured from US, I could haveprobably purchased a groupset from PBK or similar for that price but I didn't know of them when I started purchasing.

I should secure a Dura Ace Chain (7701) for $40 Aus and then a cluster is needed. Once I get these it's ready to go.

On the cluster I am looking at a 12 - 27 Durace version which I may get for around $100.

So group set $750, probably on par with PBK but hey not as much fun chasing items, also is there not aproblem with the new BB's squeaking

The build has gone quicker than expected so I have some time on my side to finish it off although I could not help myself and bought a new computer to go with brooks saddle when at the bikeshop picking up bits to service the MTB's

Heres a pic of saddle to fit (brooks B17)

Heres a pic of computer and some other bits purchased in preperation for assembly and to service wife and my MTB's

Anyway .... I still got my 753 Kenevans hanging in my garage. Perhaps its time to do something about it.
It is enjoyable but not a cheap hobby seat and miscellaneous bits set me back another $300 this week (add to that wife wants something for the road now).

I think 753 is a better steel than 531 and refurbished steel bikes seem flavour of the month so it would be worth it.

This hopefully will be my only road bike and a good servicable unit for a number of years.

I think I should still come in around the $2K budjet

I did the sums if it helps you make the decision

Frame : $550
Groupset $750
Bars/Stem/wrap : $120
Seat/post : $140
post bolt/cables/cages: $75
Tyres: $100
Computer : $60

Final cost will depend on wheels est : $400

I would be interested if you and others think that a better alternative could be bought off the rack for $2K as most of the specs are pretty well listed and I have chosen every part.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:36 pm

'tis looking good!
Your Cecil and my Enzo have the same bars and stem (but I scratched my bars getting them in and it's going to show :cry: ). I visited Enzo today - he's at my lbs getting his head tube 'reamed and faced' (it had corroded a bit and the bottom of the headset won't fit) - and he's looking very spiffy, but not as shiny as Cecil.
Now for the important bits. :wink:
What bar tape are you going to use?
There was much discussion at the shop about bar tape today - black, red (Enzo is Ferrari red), white .... I'm thinking of white 'carbon look' tape, but Paul is ordering a few different ones so that we can check them out.
Maybe I should check to see if Cinelli do a 'white with red flecks' tape. :)
My seat post should arrive any day, then it's off to Paul (Hillbrick this time) to get the rear stays reset and he's done.
I'll try to get a photo tomorrow and show you how he's going.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Oops! :oops: I just spotted the S-Wrap - it looks like white tape on red bikes is the go then. :wink:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Depending on how much off-roading your better half does, it might have been worthwhile looking at either the B72 or one of the Flyer models for her MTB.

The B72 has 4 wires underneath each of which forms a circular loop before attaching to the cantle. These form a 'spring' & take some of the jolt from hardtail bikes. The Flyer range has coil springs at the rear & is intended for those who are a bit more serious about off roading.

The B17 will probably be fine on a soft tail bike though.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

crog

Postby crog » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:28 pm

Your Cecil and my Enzo have the same bars and stem (but I scratched my bars getting them in and it's going to show ).
I had similar problem I think some time ago, Cinelli changed bars clamp diameter very slightly,

I scratched mine a little behind the LHS (view from front) Cinelli transfere and also on the right sholder when sliding them through.

Minor behind the badge and will be hidden by Computer mount. The shouldeer needed some attention with file and wet an dry. I hope it will oxidise to the same colour.

I had to open the head of the stem and then clamp it aroun d the bars it took some fiddleing but I dont think they were meant to work together.

As to colour scheme Paconi is responsible for the paint job and every thing else will be white/chrome (you may notice I got silver GP4000's :lol:) but some vanity is not a bad thing as the Cecil colour came abbout as a match to the helmet originally.

I think white would go well on yours as I remeber all your bits where chrome/alloy so I would not throw black at it mind you the red/black spec.

I was more woried about the seat but I think after a while the honey saddles almost go a burgendy colour so it should go well.

Looking forward to the pic and we will definatley recognise each other if we cross paths as our rides should be one off.

crog

Postby crog » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:32 pm

Depending on how much off-roading your better half does, it might have been worthwhile looking at either the B72 or one of the Flyer models for her MTB.

The B72 has 4 wires underneath each of which forms a circular loop before attaching to the cantle. These form a 'spring' & take some of the jolt from hardtail bikes. The Flyer range has coil springs at the rear & is intended for those who are a bit more serious about off roading.

The B17 will probably be fine on a soft tail bike though.
I wish it was just a seat she wants something easier to pedle on the road. She is not a great fan of the MTB (a pic is in my profile) I will try slicks and maybe a rigid forks as a start and turn it into a bit more of a commuter bike as she only rides road and trails nothing which could be classified as "off raod" and if she is good I will get here a nice new leather saddle. :lol:

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:03 am

Crog
The bike is looking very nice now. Seems to be you are into Dura Ace.

Okay this is just my 2 cents, the price differential of a dura ace cassette over the Ultegra is $120 for 10spd variants (prices off PBK). To me ... you simply cant go past Ultegra. DuraAce helps you to shed the grams, but I believe that Ultegra will last longer. There is not much price difference in the chains. Afterall these are parts which you will look to replace due to wear and tear.

Anyway .. .the only reason I mentioned external bearings crankset, is that I have found them to be a piece of cake to install and take apart. No more fear of trying to use that Octalink tool, which never seems to sit properly. But what do I know? I could just have a bad BB tool.

Thats a nice brooks you got there. I am kinda tossed between getting a San Marco Regal and another Brooks for the Ken. I am going to go fixie with the Ken. I also found replacement decals online ... so I am pretty much decided.

crog

Postby crog » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:14 pm

Update,

Been OS working for a while working.

Whilst away All pieces are in unfortunately camera died so cant shopw a pic. I went with Open Pro wheels to match to the hubs and other ultegra gear.

Picking up complete bilke Late next week. Stand by.

Che

fyxomatosis

Postby fyxomatosis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:24 pm

wow

crog

Postby crog » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:50 am

Here it is finally finished with pics.

Need to add Seat and pedals but the Cecil will hit the road not today as it is wet but tomorrow on beach road

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:24 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:13 pm

Lovely. I'm looking forward to hearing the tales of how you're wearing her out :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:44 pm

What are you doing on Friday 25th January?
Project Pistachio, your Cecil and Enzo would look very good rolling along the TdU Challenge stage together!
ps. the bike looks great - who (other than Moo) needs carbon! And, the sheer good looks of 9-speed Ultegra gear is enough not to go to 10-speed, isn't it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:10 pm

Looks amazing Che. :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

crog

Postby crog » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:50 pm

Thanks guys,

Will be weighed in morning but it is responably light and LBS guys who put it together did a great job abd actually took photos for there boards in the shop as it is a little unusual and they really liked it

Well here are the final build specs

- 78 Cecil Walker frame Reynolds 531 wit Campy dropouts
- Miche Primoto seat post & Campy seat post bolt
- Camy Chorus Headset
- Brooks B17 Saddle
- Cinelli Stem and bars
- Ultegra 6500 9 speed series group set, Brakes RD, FD, BB, shifters and 36H hubs
- Mavic Open Pro Rims
- Durace Chain, Ultegra cluster 12 - 25
- Tyres are Conti GP 400 silver

Only real things are:
- pedals I am looking for a good shoe / pedal combo but likely will be the new ultegra pedals to stick with the theme
- Cycle computer

Help has been invaluable and I have enjoyed to discussions resulting in the build and whilst I could maybe have got something of the rack I know this bike back to front and it is a little special I think

Che

crog

Postby crog » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:56 pm

What are you doing on Friday 25th January?
Project Pistachio, your Cecil and Enzo would look very good rolling along the TdU Challenge stage together!
ps. the bike looks great - who (other than Moo) needs carbon! And, the sheer good looks of 9-speed Ultegra gear is enough not to go to 10-speed, isn't it.
Lucky,

I would like to know more what it the TdU. Unfortunately I have been OS and know are in Sydney working and commuting back to Melb on weekends so availability is limited but please forward more info I would like to show it off.

Che

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:46 am

A few of us have been rabbiting on about the TdU Challenge Stage - you can follow the rubbish here.
Michael has even done a 'recce', so it's not all rubbish. :wink:

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Looks very classy (and classic) - nice job.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:58 am

Looks really sweet, nice job.

Hope it gives you the pleasure that it looks like it will.

Happy riding.

crog

Re: Circa 70's Cecil Walker Restore Update (back from Paconi!!)

Postby crog » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi,

In interest of closing this thread which has been going for some time (5years) compleated pics as seen in bike gallary