Looking for help identifying this old Malvern Star.

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Looking for help identifying this old Malvern Star.

Postby TrickTrack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 am

I've been riding fixed for a while now and i've always wanted to build up an old frame for commuting. Recently I took a trip to my parents house and I found this old thing. It's a Malvern Star 2 star of some kind. I'm pretty stoked that all the decals are still in tact and the paint seems to be alright apart from some fading.
I've looked around on the internet trying to figure out how old it could be or if I should even bother building it up or not. So far I've seen some similar stuff but for some reason or another this particular bike I found seems to be influenced by the Olympic games (just guessing by all the Olympic ring decals).
If there are any Malvern pros on the forum who could give me some insight as to the specs please do.
Thanks

TrickTrack

by BNA » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:07 am

BNA

Re: Looking for help identifying this old Malvern Star.

Postby feelthewheel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:07 am

Hello TrickTrack welcome to the forum. Will have a stab based on your pics (if other forum members with greater knowledge think I've fluffed this, please correct and forgive :) ).

Based on your pictures this seems a pretty bog-standard 1950's 2-Star Roadster (pointers - pressed dropouts, rear stay is cheaper bolt-on type, plus drilled for brakes and guards). Probably post-56 Melbourne Olympics (there should be a serial number on one the dropouts). This in itself is fine, these come up in reasonable frequency on Ebay.

However the real concern appears to be the angle of the forks :( . It appears they have taken a hit, been pushed back and be potentially dangerous as they could snap under load. Another pointer is the crinkling (if that's a word?) of the paint at the top of the fork blade underneath the crown (pictures 1 and 7). This usually happens when the fork blades get compressed after a frontal hit. The weird thing is that the top and down tubes don't seem to show any similar damage. Perhaps it was a light enough hit not to damage them? A few close-ups of this area would help confirm/deny. If you have a metal ruler, run it along the top of both those tubes and see if it sits flat on the tubing. If it sits flat then you could potentially replace the forks and have yourself a frame to restore and enjoy.

That's my 10 cents for the morning :D happy retro cycling everyone!
Last edited by feelthewheel on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
feelthewheel

Postby amrjon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:28 am

Nice bike. Did you come accross this thread yet? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11486 .
If not take a look there is some information about similar bikes, your frame looks the same (lugs, rear fork ends etc) as mine, which is the purple one in that thread.
amrjon

Postby TrickTrack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks a bunch for dropping that knowledge feelthewheel.
Yeah I was hoping it was slightly older but at the same time I knew i would have been getting my hopes up, that's cool though :D
I think the reason the forks are appearing a little knocked back is probably due to the headset the bike is fitted with at the moment. It's all busted and allows the forks to knock around under the head tube a little bit but I'll try the ruler trick just for the sake of it.
I guess now I'm just after opinions. Restore, or sell?
I quite like the bike itself, but if they fetch a little more money than most of the other modern day road conversions on ebay I might put it up for sale and use the money I take from it to put towards my trick bike.
Then again, if it's a cool bike and it's probably worth more just to keep it and bring the joy of riding back into it's life rather than getting a few bucks for it on ebay i'd prefer to do that. Anybody know how much these are worth?
TrickTrack

Postby rustychisel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:09 pm

cost? from nothing to some hundreds to the right person.

Serious advice: you can get new or 2nd hand headsets to fit, but 1st step is to take out the forks for a full and frank inspection, measuring and eyeballing angles of fork blades relative to steerer. It still looks like its bent back to me, and I endorse everything feelthewheel wrote. Remove stem and headset fittings and put aside IN THE CORRECT ORDER. Inspect forks and frame carefully. If in doubt, don't ride it (& don't try to pass it off on eBay either because that would make you a munt, not to mention complicit if something bad happened).
rustychisel

Postby TrickTrack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 pm

I'll check that out for sure, I was going to replace all the poorly functional/crusty components on it anyway (i.e headset, bars saddle etc) so I'm sure when I take it apart I'll see if there's been any damage done to the forks. Thanks for the advice and the help. I think I might just keep it for myself.
TrickTrack

Postby brauluver » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:30 pm

That fork is clearly bent at the crown race.
If it was just headset slack then the stem would have a similar angle froward at the top instead of it's true positon as pictured.
Take it out and show us a pic against a straight edge.
brauluver

Postby TrickTrack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:44 pm

No problem, I'll take some pictures once i get back to Sydney and have access to my tool box. I'm not disagreeing that they could be bent at all but I definitely thought the problem was the headset. As far as my parents seem to think nobody ever really rode the bike, more just made a purchase and let it sit around in the weather. I guess they could have been bent by something being lent up against the front of the bike in the shed or something though.
TrickTrack

Postby brasstinman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:43 pm

I have the same frame except it has been painted over but the decals are under the paint. I'm getting ready to restore mine for commuting to work on and picking up the shopping.

I like the bolt on rear stay because I'd love to put on an internal rear hub with a belt drive. Quiet, grease free and a mix of modern. :)
brasstinman

Postby feelthewheel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks to fellow forum members for extra views. Tricktrack, the only way a fork (or any tubing for that matter) can get bent backwards in this matter would be to crash into something at force (happened to me once when stupid driver opened door) or drop it onto the fork from a height (pretty hard to do I admit). Or someone had a good go at smashing the *(^$%$(AT) out of it with a blunt object. Something leaning up against it just wouldn't do this. Some bicycles eg track do have much more aggressive fork angles, but this is not the case in this instance.

And I agree with all the posts in giving the frame and forks a serious inspection. If the frame and bearing cups/races are okay, you could always replace with another fork and new bearings. Malvern Star forks of this type (with star in fork crown) do turn up on Ebay, cycle swap meets or maybe a forum member has one spare and could sell it to you. You might also want to look at the left hand drop-out, in the photo it looks a little splayed (but a bit hard to tell).

Good luck on the the resto path if that's where you go with it :) . If you go for a respray, there is an excellent Ebay seller of reproduction decals that would suit the age of the frame. Did you find the serial number? It may have an 'M' at some point in it.
feelthewheel

Postby .isaac. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 am

It would be a very nice bike for a single speed Conversion.
.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:41 am

Sorry to double post, but I came across this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Malvern-Star-Roa ... 500wt_1154

It looks exactly like the bike you have in the picture and the name of the bike is a Malvern Star Roadstar semi-racer, 1950/60's.
.isaac.

Return to Retro biking